US Olympic Team Announced | Page 51 | Golden Skate

US Olympic Team Announced

Amei

Record Breaker
Huh? There are plenty of non-contact, safe ways to see a loved one. Are you just trying to play tit-for-tat and criticize US skaters, because others have criticized your pet Russian skaters? Poor move on your part, you just look silly since you don't know any specifics, any more than the rest of us. I suspect both Kaitlyn AND her parents are savvy enough to not put her Olympic experience at risk.

No, I was not criticizing US skaters because Russian skaters are being criticized, my comment was critical of both countries sets of skaters/Feds as I said foolish decisions were not limited to 1 country.

Thank you

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I was so relieved to see Vincent's post that he had made it and even had a practice!!!! These are the weirdest Olympics where I hardly care how they skate, just that they're able to get to the venue without drama!!!

So there are three batches right?

Vincent batch, Mariah batch and the Jason batch? Alysa should be with the Jason batch? Or is there one more flight?

On 1/27, Nathan, Vincent, Karen, Alexa & Brandon were on same flight.

On 1/29, Jason, Mariah, and Ashley & Timothy were on same flight.

Hubbell and Donahue flew via Europe.

Reportedly, Chock & Bates and Hawayek & Baker have or will fly out soon, not necessarily together.

No word about Alysa. I did not see her in any of the pictures on the Nathan/Vincent or Jason/Mariah flights.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The US needs her on the team and frankly, it's her best chance at getting Medal of any color.
Absolutely. I wonder if there is some policy that gives preference to the national champ and Mariah chose to do both, because it doesn't seem like Alysa would pass up a guaranteed medal there. We're obviously splitting men, and I figured that dance would be split also so I don't know how this is going to work.

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
According to Match.tv, Mariah isn't doing the Team Event so Karen is doing both SP & FS

readernick

Medalist
According to Match.tv, Mariah isn't doing the Team Event so Karen is doing both SP & FS

What a strange choice, if true. Karen has lower scores internationally than either Alysa or Mariah this season and finished below Mariah at Nationals. I would think both Alysa and Mariah would be better choices. Madeline might beat Karen in the LP.

Last edited:

Remilia

On the Ice
Just another bad decision the USFS has made this season...

Although, the info from that article conflicts with what that person's friend told them 🤔

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Absolutely. I wonder if there is some policy that gives preference to the national champ and Mariah chose to do both, because it doesn't seem like Alysa would pass up a guaranteed medal there. We're obviously splitting men, and I figured that dance would be split also so I don't know how this is going to work.

A maximum of two of the four disciplines can substitute. So if your scenario has men and dance splitting the duties, then that means the lady and the pair must do both segments.

readernick

Medalist
A maximum of two of the four disciplines can substitute. So if your scenario has men and dance splitting the duties, then that means the lady and the pair must do both segments.
Indeed, the best decision is to split men/ dance since men and dance are the strongest US disciplines. However, I think it is strange to choose Karen for both programs rather than either Alysa / Mariah. She is not national champion. She does not have the highest internationally scores (Mariah and Alysa both have higher international averages). So, why would the USFS choose her? I see arguments for Alysa and for Mariah but I don't understand the argument for Karen.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
What a strange choice, if true. Karen has lower scores internationally than either Alysa or Mariah this season and finished below Mariah at Nationals. I would think both Alysa and Mariah would be better choices. Madeline might beat Karen in the LP.
Very strange. Like you, I'd have Karen as my third pick of the three to do the team event; not only does she have the lowest season's best score, she is also the most prone to having complete meltdowns.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
I agree. The US needs her on the team and frankly, it's her best chance at getting Medal of any color.
I don’t think it makes too much difference. All 3 are unlikely to finish above the Russian or Japanese but likely above the rest. It’s pretty much the only shot at a medal for any of them so I’m assuming it was not her choice.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I see pros and cons with all three - Karen, Alysa, Mariah. I am surprised though, as I thought it would be between Alysa (pre-Nationals favorite) vs Mariah (National champion) when it came to the pick. But I guess they went instead with Karen (the Veteran). I would have gone with Alysa and told her to not do the triple axel in the team event, at least not in the short. I love all three US women so I have a lot of mixed feelings about it. I'm just glad to hear she's finally on her way as it was worrisome that we hadn't heard anything.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Sad for Alysa but ecstatic for Karen. Glad USFS are done giving gifts to Mariah. She got her national title, now Karen deserves some recognition and the Olympic medal she missed out on last time.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I see pros and cons with all three - Karen, Alysa, Mariah. I am surprised though, as I thought it would be between Alysa (pre-Nationals favorite) vs Mariah (National champion) when it came to the pick. But I guess they went instead with Karen (the Veteran). I would have gone with Alysa and told her to not do the triple axel in the team event, at least not in the short. I love all three US women so I have a lot of mixed feelings about it. I'm just glad to hear she's finally on her way as it was worrisome that we hadn't heard anything.
Where are you seeing that Karen has been chosen for the team event?
ETA: ok, i went back & saw that it’s a match.tv article. not actually announced yet.