VCR Alert - Skate Canada on ESPN 2 | Golden Skate

VCR Alert - Skate Canada on ESPN 2

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
2005 Skate Canada
Nov. 6, 2005
1 p.m. - 3 p.m. Eastern time (check your local listings)

Coverage of 2005 Skate Canada begins with the men's and ladies short program. See Alissa Czisny, Johnny Weir and Matt Savoie.

I wonder if they will show some highlights of the Pairs SP or the Original Dance. Probably not though

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Well certainly like this substitute commentator than Paul Page

God, I hated him when he covered Cup of China last year :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
dude... it started earlier than what my tv guide said, I missed Eman (and anything done before his skate) UGH I hate this :laugh: twice my tv has lied! :scowl: :sheesh: :laugh:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
dude... it started earlier than what my tv guide said, I missed Eman (and anything done before his skate) UGH I hate this :laugh: twice my tv has lied! :scowl: :sheesh: :laugh:

GET TIVO!!!! I gave up all "subscription" movie channels to "cost justify" it, and have never looked back. :)

DG

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
TIVO would not have helped. The ESPN schedule said 1 to 3, but the program actually started at 12:58, with the result that I missed half of Eman on tape. Because I had the TV set on, I did see all of it though. The moral is to set the tape 5 minutes ahead of the show.

I thought Marcoux and Buntin looked rather clunky and slow. S&S and were far better than M&B or P&T. In fact S&S have my favorite SP so far.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
cleopatra20042004 said:
BTW
Who was commentating tonite? I did not recognize any of the voices.

Paul Wylie was the main expert
Susie Wynne (?) commentated during Pairs
Peter Carruthers was also listed

I did have my VCR to tape early but my satelite didn't switch over when I wanted it to :disapp:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Mathmann- I agree that Fumie looked very pretty. She always has the best costumes and they always look lovely on her.

What was with the other Japanese skater and her jumping technique. Her leg wrap is awful, and I am surprised that she can jump at all. I would think her coach would want to correct that.

Of course they didn't show Yan Liu - a beautiful skater in the same way as Yukina Ota but neither Yan or Yukina will ever go anywhere. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Joe

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Agree with Paul Wylie. He was fantastic yestrday in the ESPN2 SPs show.

WHO THE HECK was the 'Terry Gannon-like voice guy' playing sidekick to Paul? It sure sounded like Terry but at one point another name was mentioned.

So what happened to the Kat-'n'-Kurt Combo from Skate America? One time deal only?

ATW27

On the Ice
Did anyone else have the interruption of the two commericals right after they showed the standings after the short program in the women's competition broadcast tonight? Two commercials - cut off about the first 10 seconds or so of Yukari's program. I couldn't believe it! allready dropped ESPN a note letting them know who displeased I was with this. If they did something like this during the broadcast for, say, a football game, they'd never hear the end of it!

Andy

emma

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Alissa's SP music is great.

Paul Wylie is fast becoming my favorite commentator.

THis is the first time I can honestly say I loved the commentating....I actually listened; he gave exactly the kind of info I like (what the jumps are, what jumps the skater can or has done, ...well you all heard so etc.)...

Frau Muller

Final Flight
ATW27 said:
Did anyone else have the interruption of the two commericals right after they showed the standings after the short program in the women's competition broadcast tonight? Two commercials - cut off about the first 10 seconds or so of Yukari's program. ...Andy

To ATW27 - Don't write ESPN. Those were the idiots from COMCAST digital, who overrode the ESPN telecast to interject their own quick advertising. I was so so mad!!!! You must have COMCAST, like me. If COMCAST continues to pull these tricks, I will cancel their services. They're ridiculously expensive, as it is (almost $80/mo basic digital channels in the DC area...no HBO or premium channels included).

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Originally Posted by Mathman
Paul Wylie is fast becoming my favorite commentator.
I agree Math, he does a very good job. He seemed so concerned about Johnny and what was going on with him.

I felt so bad for Johnny last night, I was very close to tears when he was in the K&C area. Any news on his injury???

I try to make all my skating tapes commercial free and it was kind of hard last night when you got a surprise commercial and then the return to skating the skater is already into their program. :mad: :mad:

Dee

Frau Muller said:
To ATW27 - Don't write ESPN. Those were the idiots from COMCAST digital, who overrode the ESPN telecast to interject their own quick advertising. I was so so mad!!!! You must have COMCAST, like me. If COMCAST continues to pull these tricks, I will cancel their services. They're ridiculously expensive, as it is (almost $80/mo basic digital channels in the DC area...no HBO or premium channels included).
The same thing happened on Direct TV (satellite).

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
ESPN Coverage

I'm composing an e-mail thanking ESPN for finally including the short programs. I'm hoping that this is the beginning of a trend, and the folks at ESPN have figured out that only showing the free skates is roughly equivalent to only showing the second half of a football game.
I don't think I've seen a short program on ESPN since Worlds! :rock:
xoxo
Rave

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Frau Muller said:
... So what happened to the Kat-'n'-Kurt Combo from Skate America? One time deal only?

It may be that Kat 'n' Kurt are under contract only with ABC so they would do Skate America (which is covered by the USFSA-ABC, broadcast contract, as well as by the ISU-ESPN contract), whereas they would not be at the other ISU events, which are controlled only by the ISU-ESPN contract. You will notice that they had Dick and Peggy doing the commentary on SA, but not on the other GP events.