Was Emily Hughes robbed of the Gold at US Nationals? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Was Emily Hughes robbed of the Gold at US Nationals?

skater 17

Rinkside
No, I do not think Emily was robbed the marks reflect that. The Americans do not seem to protect their skaters the same as other countries.

The US Nationals is a prestigious event for the US skaters. It has a certain ring to it when a skater is introduced as the national champion. It's not difficult to understand their purpose in winning the gold.

For this event, Kimmie did quite well in the SP with enough points to carry her so-so LP for the win. Emily did well in the SP but that fall in the LP cost her the win. I think it showed that both skaters are vulnerable and that clean programs are going to be the deciding factor.

I also feel this contest showed how much behind they both are from the Asian gals for Tokyo. I'm not predicting but I can foresee Alissa being ahead of both of them in Tokyo but not on the podium.

These Asian gals are pretty consistent and they know how skate a clean routine.

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
A little off topic but does anyone else sense just the slightest bit of "snob" (call it "attitude" if you want) when Emily talks? I dunno...I noticed it a little during that fluff piece on her (and also when she was interviewed by Carruthers).

Well both Hughes sisters come off as snobby. Probably because they were raised in that "Ivy League is better god forbid they go to state schools or skate in a show" family.

Though that doesn't change my opinion of Emily's skating.

Kimmie is a particularly down to earth skater. I visit Md a lot and have read loads of profiles on Kimmie. The more I read about this girl, the more I like her. At least Kimmie and her family doesn't place this holier than thou premium of going to an Ivy League school (though UD is nothing to scoff at) which make the Hughes family (IMO) such a huge turn off.

BTW- Thanks for the shout out Kwanford wife! Though you are in danger of shedding your "non-fan" status this season. :D

Last edited:

krenseby

Final Flight
The US Nationals is a prestigious event for the US skaters. It has a certain ring to it when a skater is introduced as the national champion. It's not difficult to understand their purpose in winning the gold.

For this event, Kimmie did quite well in the SP with enough points to carry her so-so LP for the win. Emily did well in the SP but that fall in the LP cost her the win. I think it showed that both skaters are vulnerable and that clean programs are going to be the deciding factor.

I also feel this contest showed how much behind they both are from the Asian gals for Tokyo. I'm not predicting but I can foresee Alissa being ahead of both of them in Tokyo but not on the podium.

These Asian gals are pretty consistent and they know how skate a clean routine.

Joe

I am not sure if I can agree about Alyssa. She's still working on her consistency. She was certainly capable of being the national champion, but her short program killed her chances. Even if she does pretty well at Worlds, expect to see some mistakes either in the short or the long. Hopefully, they won't be too bad.

scorekeeper

On the Ice
I sensed this "phenomenon" a LOT when Katy Taylor was interviewed after the short. Her demeanor totally rubs me the wrong way, but just an observation. Kimmie, OTOH just seems like your typical bubbly teenager.

Taylor somehow reminds me of Tara Lipinski. There was someting about her demeanor that was off-putting as well. To me, anyway. I'm sure others will disagree.

sk8addict

On the Ice
I'm with Joe. I don't mean this as a bash, but Emily is a jock-chick and she skates likes one. Her style reminds me of Tonya Harding, who didn't have much grace, finesse, or artistry, either.

I have to say the same thing about Nancy Kerrigan,. No grace, finesse or artistry either and I think Kimmie skates just like Nancy.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily seems to have a sense of entitlement when it comes to the US Championship, perhaps because her sister never won it. I'd like to see a little more humility from her in those fluff interviews. Emily has not had such a fantastic early season that she has distinguished herself in any way. One bronze medal in a much diluted-field? Not scoring any higher than 94 in her international free skates?

I especially disliked her comment that "I am different from the other skaters. I combine education with figure skating". Say what? Emily is in high school. So are Katy Taylor and Kimmie Meissner (and I suspect they attend school more often than Emily does). Alissa Czisny is a junior in college, and maintains a 4.0 index as well. I've read the bios of many of the skaters, and while some are home-schooled, the majority of them are not.

I think all the pushing from the USFS has gone to her head.

sk8addict

On the Ice
No, I do not think Emily was robbed the marks reflect that. The Americans do not seem to protect their skaters the same as other countries.

You are so mistaken on this. US judges are know for holding up poor programs! There is a LONG history of it to look back on.

soogar

Record Breaker
I have to say the same thing about Nancy Kerrigan,. No grace, finesse or artistry either and I think Kimmie skates just like Nancy.

Kimmie does not skate like Nancy. Nancy was so stiff and remote. Kimmie is a fiery competitor and looks like she is having fun out there.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kimmie also has lots of speed in her skating. After Emily's plodding SP, I was amazed at how fast Kimmie was. The commentators were puzzled at the 3+ point gap between Kimmie and Emily, but I was surprised it was that small a gap.

Emily was SO slow, and Kimmie was dazzlingly fast by comparison.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kimmie is faster in person, but not as much as it seems on TV... at least not last year anyway lol

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Emily was SO slow, and Kimmie was dazzlingly fast by comparison.
That did seem to be one of the slowest I have seen of Emily. And it didn't seem to consistent in speed either. Like back and forth of 10mph to 20mph.

scorekeeper

On the Ice
Kimmie does not skate like Nancy. Nancy was so stiff and remote. Kimmie is a fiery competitor and looks like she is having fun out there.

Nancy did her job, and if she smiled in a program, that was part of doing her job. At least when Kimmie smiles you believe it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I always like genuine smiles in programs, not plastered ones. I like watching a skater who skates because she loves to skate, not necessarily someone who is "checking off" elements in an effort to accumulate the most points.

What exactly is fiery about Kimmie and her competitive spirit??
I dunno, I've been trying to keep an open mind about her because she seems like such a great young woman and she's only 17, but she seems very stiff to me and when she goes "artistic" with Middle-Eastern and Spanish exotica it just irritates me and makes me root for Alyssa, Bebe, Rachael, and even Katy (who I thought was beautiful in the SP). Kimmie is a salt-of-the-earth girl-next-door type. She should be herself and not pretend to be a dramatic actress... which she will never be, no matter how much she turns her wrists in and wiggles her hips. :disapp:

scorekeeper

On the Ice
Maybe Kimmie and her coaching team are trying out different programs to see what works and what doesn't.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I partially agree with SS (I can't believe I'm saying this). I see a great competitor when she's laying in wait to skate and I see it in her determination to land jumps, but I find her rather mechanical. Not robotic but just "going through the motions". I saw her on the Today show and she did a short piece to Avril Lavigne. Initially I saw a genuine smile but then she just started skating around and doing element after element. It's like she's skating and music is just playing in the background. Kimmie doesn't even skate TO the music.

That said, I'm willing to give her some time. Understand, I'm not looking for her to become an "artist" or any of that stuff. I just want her to find herself out there. See how bubbly she is off the ice? If she can find some way to incorporate that into her routines (maybe skate to more "upbeat" music?) she can be "Kimmie" and not simply "a good skater".

rain

Record Breaker
What exactly is fiery about Kimmie and her competitive spirit??
I dunno, I've been trying to keep an open mind about her because she seems like such a great young woman and she's only 17, but she seems very stiff to me and when she goes "artistic" with Middle-Eastern and Spanish exotica it just irritates me and makes me root for Alyssa, Bebe, Rachael, and even Katy (who I thought was beautiful in the SP). Kimmie is a salt-of-the-earth girl-next-door type. She should be herself and not pretend to be a dramatic actress... which she will never be, no matter how much she turns her wrists in and wiggles her hips. :disapp:

I must disagree with you. Last year Meissner was a kid who could jump, but had basic choreography, and little to no musical interpretation or style. One of the reasons I'm cheering for her this season is that she has really progressed leaps and bounds in the right direction artistically. I love her Spanish-inspired LP and think she has done a really good job in expression of the music and projecting an overall much more sophisticated image, while at the same time maintaining a genuine air. Definitely moving in the right direction, IMO.