Web series on Montreal ice dancing teams | Golden Skate

Web series on Montreal ice dancing teams

Weathergal

Medalist
There's an Olympic Channel web series called "On Edge" on YouTube that follows six of the ice dance couples training at Ice Academy of Montreal with Marie-France Dubreuil, Patrice Lauzon, and Romain Haguenauer. It features Gabriella Papadakis / Guillaume Cizeron, Madison Chock / Evan Bates, Madison Hubbell / Zachary Donohue, Laurence Fournier-Beaudry / Nikolaj Sorensen, Olivia Smart / Adria Diaz, and Lilah Fear / Lewis Gibson. It starts in I think late summer 2021. So far there have been seven episodes, and they're up to Skate America. I don't know how much of the season they'll cover or how many episodes are planned.

I'm really enjoying it. It's great to be able to see more of what the ice dancers' lives are like and hear their thoughts, as well as get a "peek behind the curtain" of the training environment at I.AM.

Has anyone else been watching it and if so, what are your thoughts?

Here's a link to the first episode:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm really enjoying the series so far, I just wish the episodes were a little bit longer! It's interesting to see the day-to-day of training, behind the scenes at competition, and life at I.AM Montreal, which seems like a very positive place to train. Obviously, it's going to be made to look like that for filming, but it feels like the teams' positive relationships with each other and their coaches are genuine.

The series has also turned me into a Chock/Bates fan! I wasn't really a fan at all of their snake dance last season, but their new FD really caught my eye and watching it (and their RD) develop over the series so far has been great. They seem like really nice people too (and have an adorable dog!). Here's an extra that the Olympic Channel shared on their Instagram account of Madi and Evan answering 'burning questions' about ice dance:

I thought the focus in the latest episode on the issues Guillaume has faced recently in dealing with homophobic comments, and his subsequent conversation with Lilah about the ISU's response, was very emotive and I'm glad this more serious topic was included in the series.

I also think, so far, the rivalry between Smart/Diaz (who are heavily featured in the program) and Hurtado/Khaliavin has been handled very well; it manages to show Olivia and Adrian's joy at leading the race for the Olympic spot without casting Sara and Kirill as the evil rivals who must be beaten. Similarly, it acknowledges Sinitsina/Katsalapov as medal contenders without making them out to be the bad guys.

On a lighter note, watching Madi Hubbell and Zach bicker (in a friendly way) with each other is also very entertaining! :laugh: And Nikolaj receiving his notification of Canadian citizenship was a very heart-warming moment.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States

The series has also turned me into a Chock/Bates fan! I wasn't really a fan at all of their snake dance last season, but their new FD really caught my eye and watching it (and their RD) develop over the series so far has been great. They seem like really nice people too (and have an adorable dog!).

Who knew that someone who is as exquisite, poised, and sophisticated on the ice as is Madison Chock could also be so sweet, fun, and down to earth?? (Judging from this series and the Unlaced podcast.) I've been loving their skating for a while, but now I just adore Madison and Evan as thoughtful, appreciative, kind people as well. Bonus that they are dog lovers (Evan brought a poodle into their family, too) They express such gratitude for all the aspects of the life they are living -- the members of their team, the creative process and artistic side of skating, the travel and whatever city/country they are in, the chance to compete, etc.

zebobes

Final Flight
The newest episode follows p/c and h/d to Torino for their competition together. This episode was a lot of fun, and captured both their friendship and the tension of being competitors. It was short, but felt a lot more genuine.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is nice to show; kind of like focus on the leading dance school which 8 yars ago would have been Zueva. Shows how times hae changed and who knows how long IAM will be on top. It is a bit sad that the top dancers seem to come mainly from one school with the only real competitors being the Russians (yes, there are a few others but it is like women's skating only more polarizing as at least in ladies there is more than Eteri with Japan, the USA and Liza.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I'm totally hooked! I couldn't find part 7 on YouTube ladyjane, do you have a link?

peepsquick

Final Flight
I know. I was actually imagining a really nice Italian style Pasta dish when she explained it...but I was still curious about what the dish really was!
I don't think that Guillaume was very savvy about cooking for himself (or guests) when he first arrived in Montreal. I remember a short video where he and Gabi were talking about cooking together and it was clear none of them had much experience on this matter ! For me it is the typically meal for a hungry "student" who doesn't cook ...:biggrin:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I am really enjoying this series a lot--it's well done and the training and competition clips are great. I wish they would have allowed the actual program music to be played though... I didn't realize Lilah is so young--super mature and impressive...