What is going on on the JGP? | Golden Skate

What is going on on the JGP?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes.

The ridiculousness of the live chat box, taken over by trolls and keyboard warriors who think it is "sporting" to criticize 13 year olds. Or constantly tear down small fed skaters.

Ted and Mark called them out, particularly Mark, in wonderful fashion. Once I figure out how to fix my tagline, I will change it to Mark's direction to those trolls:

"Go have some cake. And come back with some jollity"

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes.

The ridiculousness of the live chat box, taken over by trolls and keyboard warriors who think it is "sporting" to criticize 13 year olds. Or constantly tear down small fed skaters.

Ted and Mark called them out, particularly Mark, in wonderful fashion. Once I figure out how to fix my tagline, I will change it to Mark's direction to those trolls:

"Go have some cake. And come back with some jollity"
Oh no. Maybe they need to take the chat box away if people can't behave.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh no. Maybe they need to take the chat box away if people can't behave.
For sure! I was actually surprised to see the Chatbox there as I seem to remember there not been one previously. Also most of the videos of a Junior skater's SP/FS have comments turned off too.

As Ted said, a lot of these skaters, especially those from smaller countries, will probably come to YouTube and look themselves up to see how their program went. Can you imagine a 13 year old or anyone of any age really reading some of the terrible stuff people can post in comments?

You know you've done wrong when Ted tells you to take a good look at yourself.

It's really sad :( as Mark and Ted say skating is not easy! And all the competitors do their best. People should aim to be like the Turkish crowd in Istanbul. They really got into it, cheering skaters on no matter how the performance was going (and some of the skaters had a rough time!) and applauding everyone.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Chatbox has always been there for some years but you can hide the comments or if you use full screen, so you don't see it. I have direct access (without need to open any browser first) to Youtube from my TV which has an inside internet access and on that I never see it. So I guess it depends on the browser and settings if you see it or not.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For sure! I was actually surprised to see the Chatbox there as I seem to remember there not been one previously. Also most of the videos of a Junior skater's SP/FS have comments turned off too.

As Ted said, a lot of these skaters, especially those from smaller countries, will probably come to YouTube and look themselves up to see how their program went. Can you imagine a 13 year old or anyone of any age really reading some of the terrible stuff people can post in comments?

You know you've done wrong when Ted tells you to take a good look at yourself.

It's really sad :( as Mark and Ted say skating is not easy! And all the competitors do their best. People should aim to be like the Turkish crowd in Istanbul. They really got into it, cheering skaters on no matter how the performance was going (and some of the skaters had a rough time!) and applauding everyone.
I always watch it on the TV. I cast from my laptop to the TV, post on GS from my phone and never see any of the Youtube chat..which is fortunate, apparently.

And no, skating is not easy, I can't do it at all. And agreed on the Turkish crowd

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I told this story in a competition thread last week, but I think it is appropriate to tell it again here.

I remember one time that nasty comments about one of my kids were being posted onto videos of her Junior GP appearances. They were saying she was overweight. Reporting didn't make any difference, so I contacted Ted. And next thing I knew, the comments were disabled on all Junior GP channel videos.

It just shows how much Ted cares about the young skaters, and wants to protect them.

I wish the moderators on YouTube felt the same.

However, it now seems that at some stage in the intervening years this decision was reversed. That not only the comments were allowed again, but that the live chat was re-opened.

This was not a wise decision. And it should be reversed as quickly as possible. Yes, there are some people on the live chat that are being helpful and supportive. But, by and large, it is a cess pool. Which is why I am grateful that it is not shown when you go full-screen.

Like with SelmaSiri Larsen, the skater I was talking about was one of the oldest skaters on the Junior circuit at the time.

My kid had a lot on her plate as it was without having to deal with nasty comments. She had not long come back from a serious injury; the type of injury that would have ended the career of many a skater. Indeed, she had been advised by doctors to give up skating. But she was not going to let this beat her. She showed just how strong and determined a person she was by not just getting back on the ice, but by getting selected to compete in the Junior GP Series.

This is a skater that should have been getting praised for her strength and determination in getting back on the ice. Not criticised for being a different shape to the much younger, often pre-pubescent, girls around her.

The people who post things like this are not fans of the sport. And they should not be given a platform on which to post their bile.

Sure, true fans would lose out. But there are other places where they can show their support for the skaters, and help other fans. Such as here on the Golden Skate Forum.

CaroLiza_fan

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
However, it now seems that at some stage in the intervening years this decision was reversed. That not only the comments were allowed again, but that the live chat was re-opened
I saw someone suggesting on the figure skating Reddit page that having the live chat open increases viewing numbers/interaction which in turn boosts the popularity of the videos. Even if this is the reasoning, I don't think either the chat or comments should be allowed on the JGP videos.

I remember a few seasons ago reading some really vile comments on the video of a small federation skater who was clearly loving every moment of her skate at the JGP. To think that, if she had gone back to rewatch her performance, she would potentially have seen those comments, is horrible.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I saw someone suggesting on the figure skating Reddit page that having the live chat open increases viewing numbers/interaction which in turn boosts the popularity of the videos. Even if this is the reasoning, I don't think either the chat or comments should be allowed on the JGP videos.

Exactly. The mental wellbeing of the skaters is infinitely more important than measuring the numbers of views and "likes".

I remember a few seasons ago reading some really vile comments on the video of a small federation skater who was clearly loving every moment of her skate at the JGP. To think that, if she had gone back to rewatch her performance, she would potentially have seen those comments, is horrible.

I love watching the small Fed skaters in the Junior GP's. It doesn't matter if their skating is not at the same level as the other skaters, and that they are getting very low scores. What matters is that they are out there and enjoying themselves. And, generally speaking, these skaters do REALLY enjoy the whole experience!

The skater I was talking about finished last in both of her Junior GP appearances (although, they were actually respectable scores that would have had her futher up the results in other Junior GP's those seasons). And her scores after her comeback were not as high as she was achieving before her injury. But, that doen't matter. What mattered was that she achieved her ambition of not just coming back, but of competing at the highest level for Junior skaters after Junior Worlds.

So, for keyboard warriors to spoil these special moments by making vile comments about her weight and body is dispicable.

Especially since there was nothing wrong with her weight and body! She only looked different because she was older.

CaroLiza_fan

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Even the ones that are skating from very small federations that have low scores are doing better than I ever would have. I'm 28 and the only thing I can do on ice is go around the rink in circles on public skate. That's it. When you think about it, it's incredible how they can jump and spin on a thin blade. That takes a LOT of training, balance, and concentration. The ban hammer really needs to come into play for these idiots who comment that vile stuff. I use to mod for a YouTuber's channel for livestreams and I had no problem banning people from the chat if they said vile stuff. I know for sure I would be upset if I was reading stuff about me at 13 and 18.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I have noticed that every performance is uploaded separately. Does this involve chat? If not hopefully that's how they watch their performance.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Even the ones that are skating from very small federations that have low scores are doing better than I ever would have. I'm 28 and the only thing I can do on ice is go around the rink in circles on public skate. That's it. When you think about it, it's incredible how they can jump and spin on a thin blade. That takes a LOT of training, balance, and concentration. The ban hammer really needs to come into play for these idiots who comment that vile stuff. I use to mod for a YouTuber's trouble and I had no problem banning people from the chat if they said vile stuff. I know for sure I would be upset if I was reading stuff about me at 13 and 18.
I love small Fed skaters..don't mess with my small Fed skaters..

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I told this story in a competition thread last week, but I think it is appropriate to tell it again here.

I remember one time that nasty comments about one of my kids were being posted onto videos of her Junior GP appearances. They were saying she was overweight. Reporting didn't make any difference, so I contacted Ted. And next thing I knew, the comments were disabled on all Junior GP channel videos.
It just shows how much Ted cares about the young skaters, and wants to protect them.
I wish the moderators on YouTube felt the same.

However, it now seems that at some stage in the intervening years this decision was reversed. That not only the comments were allowed again, but that the live chat was re-opened.

This was not a wise decision. And it should be reversed as quickly as possible. Yes, there are some people on the live chat that are being helpful and supportive. But, by and large, it is a cess pool. Which is why I am grateful that it is not shown when you go full-screen.

Like with SelmaSiri Larsen, the skater I was talking about was one of the oldest skaters on the Junior circuit at the time.

My kid had a lot on her plate as it was without having to deal with nasty comments. She had not long come back from a serious injury; the type of injury that would have ended the career of many a skater. Indeed, she had been advised by doctors to give up skating. But she was not going to let this beat her. She showed just how strong and determined a person she was by not just getting back on the ice, but by getting selected to compete in the Junior GP Series.

This is a skater that should have been getting praised for her strength and determination in getting back on the ice. Not criticised for being a different shape to the much younger, often pre-pubescent, girls around her.

The people who post things like this are not fans of the sport. And they should not be given a platform on which to post their bile.

Sure, true fans would lose out. But there are other places where they can show their support for the skaters, and help other fans. Such as here on the Golden Skate Forum.

CaroLiza_fan
If there are Gracies in other countries I will go out of my mind.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I always put it off if I can (and you won't see it full-screen) but it should be removed altogether. There should not be a need to put something off because it's a cess-pool, it just shouldn't be there!
Some people don't seem to get that a lot of these people competing are still children.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
children competing or not, children writing or not, there should be no comments unless someone is moderating them to remove anything that is inappropriate... since that's not the case, comments should be turned off.

BTW : since it's JGP, the ISU could label the stream as "youtube for kids" which doesn't allow for comments.