What's in store for Michael Weiss? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What's in store for Michael Weiss?

Linny

Final Flight
The future for Mike

There were, indeed, some Disson productions televised where Mike's choreographer wasn't his wife. Dare I say, I actually enjoyed them?

When I see SOI where he is the guest, I will post back and give my impressions of him live.

At Nationals, they showed him just slipping and falling on nothing during the warm-up. That is where he gave up. Mike is a big believer in cosmic events. I'm pretty sure he took it as a sign. From his opening pose, you could tell there was no fight in him. Sigh.

Can't say I won't be glad to see him leave eligible skating. He's taken up far too much television time with two footed quads and break dancing to teenie bopper music.

Linny

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
what got me, though, was he fell on the quad, which he really didn't need IMHO... and he was landing them easily in practice... the 3axel gave him all sorts of problems in practice and he nailed it in the SP... I was so upset about it :( :cry:

TNT2012

Rinkside
I've always enjoyed Mike's skating, and some of his past programs well extremely well-choreographed IMO. Although I know that many fans have criticized him for certain remarks he had made in the past as being arrogant and egoistical, they might not have realized that it could be a defense mechanism to mask his low self-confidence. Why else would he need to seek help from a sports pyschologist and undergo hypnosis therapy? It's rather ironic though that his skating became more and more inconsistent AFTER it was reported that he had been seeing a sports psychologist. Perhaps it was something that only he himself could overcome. But it seemed he had already conceded that part of the fight when he started to perform his LP at Nationals. His had that look of resignation on his face when he started and skated like a defeated man until the end. Perhaps most of you are correct in thinking that Mike would be better off doing pro shows with SOI. I just hate to see a former 3-time U.S. Champion perform a program like he's no longer enjoying the competitive scene and no longer has the will to win. Best of luck to him no matter what he decides to do next year.

P.S. I don't have a degree in psychology nor do I have the ability to read other people's emotional and mental state. I'm not even a mildly competent armchair figure skating critic. So please take my opinions above with a grain of salt. I was given the impression that one should not be making statements about any other people's mental or psychological state in this forum unless one has been degreed and credentialed. ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
considering Johnny, Sasha, and even to some extent Michelle can come off sounding egotistical I don't see why Mike is ALWAYS singled out... and he has been even more careful lately...

I don't think his wife is a bad choreographer. It's just that she is wrong for Michael. Michael is every bit a musical skater which is not showing up in what she choreographs. I would even suggest he go to Lori Nichol to get him flowing which he can do. Michael is a very good skater if not the best.

Joe

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
In ten years I think he will be selling ab-masters on The Shopping Channel and will be not only the president of his own hair club, but also a client.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I don't think his wife is a bad choreographer. It's just that she is wrong for Michael. Michael is every bit a musical skater which is not showing up in what she choreographs. I would even suggest he go to Lori Nichol to get him flowing which he can do. Michael is a very good skater if not the best.

Joe
again, we agree. I think she would do well to leave Mike alone for a while and try to get a bigger resume... not saying she should choreograph for a competitor of Mike's... just expand her horizons... and allow Mike to do the same!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
With a wife and family at home, one would think Mike would find the competitive life a bit hard on his home life. His time would really be taken away from his loved ones. Who knows? Skaters have to decide for themselves when it is time to move on. Competitiveness seems to be in his blood so to speak and he seems to really enjoy it, so I don't think he will be hanging up his skates anytime too soon. I guess he figures as long as he can deliver the goods, he'll be out there, just like Michelle Kwan.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have come to enjoy Mike over the last year but there is still something that bugs me about him. It's the gimmicks: the freedom blades; the wife who is the choreographer; the naked chest; the tornado; the tatoo shirt and at 03 Worlds the Hummer. Just skate Mike.

Dee

katherine2001

On the Ice
How long has it been since he's landed a triple axel in competition? I can't remember the last time he landed a clean one.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Dee how could you forget the "Mike Pike?"

Joe well maybe someone like Lori would be a good chorographer for Mike. She helped Tim. As I've said before on this board, I'm not a fan of his skating or is ego (or a number of other egos for that matter) but I do think he has some good amateur skating left in him. I think he should beef up the bod again, call Lori (or Sandra B) put some of that "action" from the "bedroom" into his programs and he might just pull off another medal, at least at Nationals. If he wants to get to the Olys next year, I say ditch the damn quad, and get a couple of good programs going. Go to 4Cs and add the quad and then go for broke at the Olys. If wants to stick around for another year, more power to him. He has to beat several good skaters to do that but they will have to beat him also.

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
The only time that Michael Weiss showed his concentration on skating was the year he first time beat Todd Eldrage. I don't remember the year though. Since then he won a couple of titles by luck. If he really wants to devote his time to his family, I guess he'd better to turn pro. He is a great performer at shows. Acturally he ran programs at shows hundred times better than performing the competition programs.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
jesslily while I agree going pro seems to be his best option, saying that if he wants to devote more time to his family his only option is to go pro doesn't really hold up considering SOI tours for 4-5 months (counting practices) out of the year... then there's the extra shows and the 1-2 competitions a year... he'd be gone for longer periods of time than he is now, which I think could be another reason he'd rather stay amatuer, tour with champs, and make guest appearances elsewhere who knows! *shrugs* so much speculation on my part :rofl:

shdotz

On the Ice
MW - time to move on?

SkateFan4Life said:
It seems to me that Michael Weiss is no longer a contender to win the US men's title, not against the likes of Weir, Goebel, and Lysacek, and also because Weiss continue to deliver sloppy long programs. Once again he two-footed the landing of his quad lutz, and he had several other errors throughout his performance. Fifth place is about where he belonged, IMHO.

Michael's time has come and gone, as far as I'm concerned. He won three US championships, two World bronze medals, and was a member of three Olympic teams. Very, very impressive, by any standard. He is still a strong skater and probably could enjoy a wonderful professional career. It's his decision, of course, as to whether or not he remains in the game. However, after last weekend, it really does seem that his skating and placement are going down, not up.

What do you think? And please, I'm not bashing Michael personally!

I've always enjoyed watching MW. At first, when he was new and fresh to all skater fans, he was dynamic. Now, I think, he is trying to hand on just as Elvis S. did, and perhaps Todd Eldredge.

They all know they can "do it" when they're "on", but there are too many new younger men coming up who have younger blood and therefore have more fresh energy from which to draw.

Todd Eldredge continues to skate beautifully; I haven't seen Elvis but once since he "retired." I think MW would be wise in retiring and showing his great skating in skating shows rather than eligible competitions.

It's those darn quads that holds all of them back. I don't care about quads, but the judges do. Pity.

sh

S

SkateFan4Life

When I think of Michael Weiss, I think of the saying "the train has already left".
In my opinion, the time has come for him to turn pro. It just isn't realistic for him to expect to make the 2006 Olympic team, not with the likes of Weir, Goebel, Lysacek, and Savoie. He can't match any of them technically, and IMHO, neither can he match them artistically.

shdotz

On the Ice
Weiss

Not to forget Plushenko and the others from China, etc.

There are only two senior skaters I can think of that have a shot at gold besides Plushenko: MK and IS, and then they need to let go. That's my humble opinion.

Johnny Carson had it right; he retired and hopefully enjoyed the rest of his life without stress of daily performance or rehearsals.

Life is for living and giving.

sh

S

SkateFan4Life

shdotz said:
Johnny Carson had it right; he retired and hopefully enjoyed the rest of his life without stress of daily performance or rehearsals.

One of the saddest things about sports, music, and any other entertainiment enterprise is that sometimes people keep on going long after they should retire.
There's something to be said about going out on top and not to wait until you're on the downward slide to step aside. IMHO, of course.

Michael Weiss can still skate very well, of course, and he obviously enjoys training and the excitement of competition. He's had a wonderful eligible career, with US titles, World bronze medals, and participation in three Olympic teams. However, he's past his competitive peak, and he won't win another US title unless the rest of the younger guys fall all over themselves. He finished 5th at Nationals this year, and that could well be the highest finish he will have at Nationals. In that case, he won't qualify for another World or Olympic team.

Dorothy Hamill won the Olympic and World titles in 1976 and turned pro. She went out on top. Katarina Witt won four World titles, two Olympic gold medals, and she, too, turned pro and went out on top.

kyla2

Final Flight
Opinion

Mike is a little long in the tooth for what he is trying to accomplish. I don't know if he could make a dent into the top three with all the extra effort in the world. I think he peaked and now his age and condition are working against him. I think he knows this and he will turn pro. The look on his face after the LP spoke volumes.

shdotz

On the Ice
Mw

MW is an exciting skater to watch; I agree with both posts that have given an opinion that perhaps he should bow out gracefully.

I thought he had done that after the Olympics; I seem to remember him saying something like that as well as spending more time with his kids/family.

No matter how good a skater is, the up and coming are awesome. With a year to go, for instance, that young lady who is doing the triple axle is going to outshine anyone else who is on the ice - unless, of course, she falls.

And I guess that's what it's all about: Taking chances no matter how good a skater is, it's worth a try. Look at what the last olmypics in the ladies competition.

Amazing. sh

S

SkateFan4Life

kyla2 said:
Mike is a little long in the tooth for what he is trying to accomplish. I don't know if he could make a dent into the top three with all the extra effort in the world. I think he peaked and now his age and condition are working against him. I think he knows this and he will turn pro. The look on his face after the LP spoke volumes.

I agree with you. It was sad watching Michael's expression in the kiss 'n cry area after his Nationals long program. He knew that he had failed to make the US World Team, and not only that, that he has been passed, probably for all time, by Weir, Goebel, and Lysacek. With those three men skating well, there simply isn't room for Weiss on the US World and/or Olympic teams. IMHO, the Nationals judges had padded Michael's marks for several years, out of respect for his previous US titles, World bronze medals, and memberships on past Olympic teams. The days of overly-generous marks are finished.