What's in store for Michael Weiss? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What's in store for Michael Weiss?

lotusland

On the Ice
Just a couple of comments:

I have of course been watching Mike Weiss for many years through good and bad events/seasons. Either way, I am not a fan of his skatng.

To the best of my knowledge, I have not seen any of Mike's wife's choreography (beyond what she does for her husband), so I can't comment on her choreograhic skills. But, I do agree with whoever said, "her work does not highlight Mike's abilities/strong suits" and, as a result, employing a new choreographer may be in his best interests.

But most importantly, I don't think the fan base should ever influence an athlete's career decision(s). It isn't over until "the athlete" calls it a day.

Either way, you've got to respect their skills, the journey and their tenacity to get to a level high enough that we would all be talking about them. ;)

childfreegirl

Final Flight
lotusland said:

I have of course been watching Mike Weiss for many years through good and bad events/seasons. Either way, I am not a fan of his skatng.

To the best of my knowledge, I have not seen any of Mike's wife's choreography (beyond what she does for her husband), so I can't comment on her choreograhic skills. But, I do agree with whoever said, "her work does not highlight Mike's abilities/strong suits" and, as a result, employing a new choreographer may be in his best interests.

But most importantly, I don't think the fan base should ever influence an athlete's career decision(s). It isn't over until "the athlete" calls it a day.

Either way, you've got to respect their skills, the journey and their tenacity to get to a level high enough that we would all be talking about them. ;)

Amen to that! However, I have been a fan of his. I think he would be a good coach though one day.

What happens to a former medalist when he becomes inelligible by his own choice (as it should be)?

Show Skating. I'm not sure of all the possibilites ouside of COI and SOI and Disney. Except for Disney, he's done the other shows. Do they want him back. COI demands champions. SOI looks for public demand,. With his looks and with makeup he would make a good Disney Prince in one of those fairy tales. Is the salary ok? Disney shows are heavy packing and travelling and how many years in contract? What does Gordeeva say about Disney shows?

Behind the scenes jobs: costume design, set design, musical director, choreographer, makeup artist, etc. I don't see him in any of this.

Coach: Does he want to get up at 4am every morning to train a 10 year old kid how to do a double axel? Can he find a rink to teach skating to the masses?

Other Jobs: Why not take a job as a statistician and become a figure skating judge in his spare time. (Tenley Albright, an Olympic champion became a doctor and was still active in skating as a judge.)

I think he should make the above decisions - not easy, and since the Olys are one year away, I think he should go for it as an underdog.

If after reading all my above consideations, do you really want Michael to 'Go Pro' in his best interest? or do you have a wish for him to disappear because of personal reasons?

Joe

heyang

Record Breaker
I think Mike was at his best when he was choreographed by Brian Wright, who passed away.

I think his Beethoven was the past program of his that I liked, but I'm not sure who choregraphed it.

It seems like Mike has been moving toward post-Oly skating for a while now. Why else would he spend so much time on the Tornado and the Freedom Blades. I'm also tired of seeing him breakdance to a Backstreet Boys tune. Perhaps he was using that music to appeal to the masses, but I think most skating fans are a bit more mature. I don't enjoy Candleloro as a pro because he is too gimmicky and I hope Mike does not go the same route.

I think Mike might stick it out to see if he can make it to Oly's. Perhaps he'll pull a Galindo.

S

SkateFan4Life

lotusland said:

I liked Michael Weiss's programs much more in his early years - before his wife choregraphed them. It may not be in the best interest of marital harmony, but he might do well to work with another choreographer such as Sarah Karahawa.
I'd really like to see him work with Toller Cranston, if Toller is willing to give it a go.

I'm sure that Michael isn't the slightest bit influenced by the opinions of his fans and audience, as far as turning pro is concerned. It's his decision, obviously, and he's going to decide for himself what's best.

My whole point in starting this thread was in expressing an opinion (mine, of course) that Michael Weiss has seen his best days as a top eligible skater. The competition has past him, and he most likely won't make another US World or Olympic team, not unless there's a splatfest at Nationals.

But it's up to Michael to decide when to hang up his competitive skates. It's only one more year to the Olympics - why not go for it and give it one more try?