Which female figure skater do you believe is the most elegant and artistic? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Which female figure skater do you believe is the most elegant and artistic?

Who do you think the most elegant and artistic skater is?

• Total voters

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I didn't get in on the vote, but of the ones listed, Janet and Michelle for sure. Of those not listed, I would add Sasha, Josee, Lucinda, and definitely Katherine and Katia..........42

cosmictears10

On the Ice
I would have to say, Josee Chouinard, Elizabeth Putnam, Katia Gordeeva, Michelle Kwan Joannie Rochette, Cynthia Phaneuf and Fumie Sugari :)

rtureck

Final Flight
Sasha has not move the bar for artistry up or down, she hits good position, but has no connection to music.

Peggy

On the Ice
rtureck said:
Sasha has not move the bar for artistry up or down, she hits good position, but has no connection to music.

That is definately a matter of opinion. IMO, Sasha is the best in the artistry department - its like the music is inside her, as someone else said. You won't see her program end after the music stops.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I voted for Janet Lynn, but my other votes would go to

Angela Nikodinov-she puts all of her heart into everything she skates. Most of her programs have a melancholic tone to them. She'd have an oscar if the academy gave out for most emotional skates. :)

Sasha Cohen-I wish I could do a layback THAT laid-back lol Also, she may have great flexibility, but it would mean nothing if she didn't have good coordination and balance doing a charlotte, layback. I Spin, etc etc

Dorothy Hamill-Nuff said :)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Karen Magnussen remains my favorite female skater of all time from my generation. Over the last few years, Yuka Sato has become my second favorite female skater. Yuka has been deemed "a skaters, skater" and that is the truth.

👍

Kitty

Rinkside
Watch out for new French National champion Nadege Bobillier . Last december she won the title against Anne - Sophie Calvez (Candice Didier twice French Champion was off due to injury). She will take part in the Junior Worlds.

She is very graceful and you can see her enjoying her skating :clap: She is Fab !!!!!

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Janet Lynn was The Natural. Movement just poured out of her, in perfect synchronization to the music. Fuimie Suguri may be the closest to her today. Cohen has great positions but there's something very 'plastic classique' about her, I'm sorry to say.

urmaniac13

Rinkside
I agree with Janet Lynn. I was lucky enough to see her old footage from the 72 olympics... I have never seen anyone who could skate like her.
Oksana Baiul was also special while she was very young at the amateur level, pity she has lost the edge after turning pro.
Right now, I quite like Fumie Suguri, as someone else previously mentioned, she is the closest thing to Janet Lynn I have seen so far.

Vash01

Medalist
Peggy said:
That is definately a matter of opinion. IMO, Sasha is the best in the artistry department - its like the music is inside her, as someone else said. You won't see her program end after the music stops.

That sounds more like Oskana Baiul (when she was young)- music flowed through her. I don't see the musicality in Sasha. Her positions are gorgeous but they are somehow disconnected from the musical interpretation. JMO.

As far as pure ELEGANCE is concerned, I have to say Dorothy Hamill. I loe watching her programs because of the simplicity of it all. She has wonderful carriage, lines, edges, and musicality. She can make a simple spiral or a simple scratch spin look beautiful. She does not NEED a Sasha-type spiral or an I-spin to look elegant. (the intent is not to bash Sasha; just pointing out the differences). She has no triple jumps nor complex positions on the spins or spirals. It is the basic skating- edging, posture, lines make her so elegant and beautiful. Out of the later skaters I would say Caryn Kadavy, Yuka Sato, Angela Nikodinov, and Yukina Ota have that quality (talking of singles skaters only).

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Originally Posted by Peggy

Vash01 said:
That sounds more like Oskana Baiul (when she was young)- music flowed through her. I don't see the musicality in Sasha. Her positions are gorgeous but they are somehow disconnected from the musical interpretation. JMO.

It's weird that Sasha and Oksana have their similarities. They are very good friends. On A&E Biography about Oksana, Sasha was one of the people they showed a few times to talk about her. Sasha is also of Ukranian decent, (I have no clue if that has anything to do with it) and Sasha can speak it, too.