Who Are Your Front Runners in Worlds 2009? | Golden Skate

Who Are Your Front Runners in Worlds 2009?

Favorites and Hopefuls should be forgotten.

Mine are:

Men: Joubert
Ladies: Asada
Pairs: Savchenko/Szolkowy
Dance: Domina/Shabalin

Note: none of the above are in my wishes but they seem to dominate the outcome of the Worlds' Gold.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Men: Nobunari Oda
Ladies: Yu-Na Kim
Pairs: Zhang/Zhang
Ice Dance: Delobel/Schoenfelder

fairly4

Medalist
I would still say Mao and Yu-na, but with Joannie's skating in the long program at her Canadian Nationals on Saturday, I would give her a shot at the title. She skates (at least like nationals )in Both the long and short. I may not like it ,but I appreicate a great skate like that. It just makes it a bit harder for the 2 Us girl skaters to get in the top 6. Both Us skaters will have to skate 2 lights out programs to top that.

berrycute

On the Ice
MEN
Oda, Joubert, Abbott, in that order

LADIES
Kim, Asada, Rochette, in that order

PAIRS
S/S, Z/Z, P/T, in that order

DANCE
Who will end up competing? If everyone does, DelShoe, DomShab, K/N in that order

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I really think this year world's are going to be really interesting as it isn't clear who going to win.

Ladies

Usually Kim has great season to start off with so does Mao and the season end with Kim beating Mao at the GPF and Mao beating Kim at worlds, but this season it's completely different. I'd be tempted to say Kim, but I'm not really certain.
Joannie's had agreat season, but I think that she may not handle the pressure at worlds.

Men

I'm sure Brian will get a medal, but I'm not sure if it'll be gold. He said that he'll do three quads. Had the old system still been in place I wouldn't doubt it, but with the new system, if Brian isn't feeling confident enough he won't do them and do the kind of performance he done the last 2 years at worlds, i.e, the strict minimum to win (not that it worked last year!).
I think the young skaters such as Jeremy Abbott and Patrick Chan have a chance because their skating fits perfectly with the new system. The question is, will Patrick be mentally strong enough to go out and get that gold medal?
Evan, although never really a gold medal contender, usually, because of his consistency and the failings of other skaters, manages to get a good place.
We'll definitly have to watch out for Oda, I really think he's got a medal chance.
Then of course there is etrenal wild card Tomas Verner, womeone that should never be ruled out.

Pairs
S/S are favourites, but I'm personnaly tempted not to rule out Z/Z and P/T. I think that the other three European pairs have chance too (K/S, M/T and V/M), but I'm not sure the best one of those three will be the one we expect to be.

Ice dancing
If Del/Schoen are going then I'd say them. Otherwise I'd definitly vouch for K/N. I don't think Dom/Shab will win, I think the judges are getting tires of them, plus their programs aren't very good this season. I think D/W will either be third or fourth. The real question is V/M as the haven't done any international competitions this season. I reakon B/A will be in the top four, but not gold.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Ladies:

Kim and Mao no doubt. They are really pretty evenly matched this season. I'd have to throw a dice to determine which one is the front runner at this point. It pretty much depends on who skates clean. And if both do, it could go either way. If Kostner can be mistake free, she's in the mix for the title too.

Men:

Oda and Joubert. I'm pretty sure the quad will win here. If they underperform though, Abbott's looking really good now. He can chalk up points even without the quad.

Dance:

DelSchoes. Shabalin's injury still looks really bad at this point, and V/M have only one competition so far, and their FD does not look as strong as it was last season. K/N are probably their closest competitors. In my opinion, D/W are probably the strongest North American dance team this season, given their international results as well as the fact that they are injury free. I doubt that is enough for them to threaten for the title though.

Pairs:

Pang and Tong. S/S haven't skated clean programs all season long. Z/Z don't seem as strong this season too.
P/T also have much better programs which can chalk up more points this season as compared to their R/J program last year, which didn't seem very CoP-smart, keeping them off the podium.
Of course, if S/S skate a clean long and short, all bets are off.

Last edited:
I think the young skaters such as Jeremy Abbott and Patrick Chan have a chance because their skating fits perfectly with the new system.
There is always the 'spoiler' factor to consider, and Chan or Abbott, may well be in there. But I am not sure who are the 3 leading contenders. Joubert, Oda, and who else? I would put Chan in the leading contender category and Abbott as a spoiler along with Ponsero.

I am aso interested in Brandon Mroz who suddenly came out of the depths to podium. His performance at 4CC will tell me more.

lmarie086

Medalist
Pairs: Savchenko/Szolkowy. I think coming in 3rd at the GPF really lit a fire under them. Their SP was not the best at Euros, but their LP was absolutely breathtaking (even if not completely flawless). We've seen in the past that they can afford mistakes and still win. I'd rather see them win with perfect performances (as would everyone else, themselves included) but their LP is espcially World title material.

Men: I hate to predict for this discipline because it's been so crazy this season, but I think for me, the front runner's are: Patrick Chan, Jeremy Abbott, Nobunari Oda and Brian Joubert. I'm really hoping Yannick Ponsero does well (maybe a finish ahead of Joubert?)

Ladies: Yu-Na Kim, Mao Asada and Joannie Rochette appear to be the front-runners this season. Caroline Kostner's in the mix too.

Dance: there have been way too many injuries. I'd love to see DelSchoes repeat but with her shoulder I don't know what to say. Probably the strongest threat right now is Khokhlova/Novitski. Of the NA teams, Davis/White should be in the top 6 again and if Virtue/Moir are coming along well I wouldn't be surprised to see a podium of K/N, V/M and D/W.
Sadly I don't think we'll see DomShabs there.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I say that the front runners for Pairs are obviouly S&S along with the Chinese. I can see a clean McLaughlin and Brubaker threatening for a medal, but as of yet they have not been clean.

Ladies: Mao and Yu-na are obviously the favorites for gold. I can't see anyone but either of them getting the top spot. Joannie should get a medal this year, probably bronze. I can't see any of the american ladies medaling or even placing 4th. Carolina must be considered a possible medalist, and I guess Miki.

Men: More interesting the the previous categories. Chan has established himself as a world force. Kozuka is also the big threat to gold. Brian hopefully will be in Matrix mode. Evan had a good showing at 4CC (keeps fingers crossed envisioning that quad), but I can't see him winning. Abbott could place in the top 5. could. Oda will probably get right back on track after an uncomfortable 4CC.

Dance: another exciting field. I see a three way battle between Davis and White, Virtue and Moir and Delobel and Shondelfer. I can't see Belbin and Agosto having a great event due to his injury. they will probably find themselves off the podium again. The russians were also injured, so i can't say with any certainty that they will skate their best.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
I really think this year world's are going to be really interesting as it isn't clear who going to win.

Ladies

Usually Kim has great season to start off with so does Mao and the season end with Kim beating Mao at the GPF and Mao beating Kim at worlds, but this season it's completely different. I'd be tempted to say Kim, but I'm not really certain.
Joannie's had agreat season, but I think that she may not handle the pressure at worlds.

Men

I'm sure Brian will get a medal, but I'm not sure if it'll be gold. He said that he'll do three quads. Had the old system still been in place I wouldn't doubt it, but with the new system, if Brian isn't feeling confident enough he won't do them and do the kind of performance he done the last 2 years at worlds, i.e, the strict minimum to win (not that it worked last year!).
I think the young skaters such as Jeremy Abbott and Patrick Chan have a chance because their skating fits perfectly with the new system. The question is, will Patrick be mentally strong enough to go out and get that gold medal?
Patrick seems to be the more confident among the men; he's well aware of his skills and chance to the title and has the strongest competitive spirit, even more than Joubert ("Jumbo" - that's how I call him :laugh:). I think he's not scared to take the ice in Los Angeles. At Canadian Nationals, listening to his interviews, it looked like his only problem is to find the way to land the triple Axel (Axel Rose?) every week. Bouh, does his Axel technique change all the time? :think:

Wrlmy

Medalist
Ladies: I noticed some trends with Mao and Yuna.
a. Mao has never defended any international title. 2006 JW- lost to Yuna. 2006 GPF- lost to Yuna. 2008 TEB- lost to Joannie. 2009 4CC- lost to Yuna. She is currently reigning world champion.

b. Yuna has never beaten Mao twice in a row. She won 2006 gpf over Mao, placed behind Mao at 2007 Worlds. Won 2008 gpf over Mao, placed behind Mao at 2008 Worlds. And she just won 4cc over Mao.

Aforementioned things considered, I predict Joannie to win. Not at all scientifique prediction, but sometimes trends do hold up.

Men: I expect Joubert, Chan, and Lysacek on the podium with Kozuka with a very good chance to medal as well. Ponsero may do well, but he must place in the final group to get pcs anywhere near Lysacek.

bekalc

Record Breaker
b. Yuna has never beaten Mao twice in a row. She won 2006 gpf over Mao, placed behind Mao at 2007 Worlds. Won 2008 gpf over Mao, placed behind Mao at 2008 Worlds. And she just won 4cc over Mao.

Actually your wrong. Yu-na beat Mao at 2006 Junior Worlds, and the next time she met Mao she beat her at the GPF. They normally only meet twice a season, and Kim has been injured at every Worlds they meet in which well is a factor.

However, given how Yu-na got some downgrades again, Joannie just might win this one. But I still think Yu-na may pull through on this.

However, there is an interesting factoid. Except for Evan who didn't make the GPF so that kind of doesn't count) Kozuka is the Only man who has made the podium in every single competition he's entered this season.... That suggests that he may be one of the more consistent men...

Wrlmy

Medalist
Actually your wrong. Yu-na beat Mao at 2006 Junior Worlds, and the next time she met Mao she beat her at the GPF. They normally only meet twice a season, and Kim has been injured at every Worlds they meet in which well is a factor.

However, given how Yu-na got some downgrades again, Joannie just might win this one. But I still think Yu-na may pull through on this.

However, there is an interesting factoid. Except for Evan who didn't make the GPF so that kind of doesn't count) Kozuka is the Only man who has made the podium in every single competition he's entered this season.... That suggests that he may be one of the more consistent men...

Gee I thought I got the fact down for once, and you ruined it:biggrin:
Then it bodes well for Yuna. Joannie enters the competition as one of the three ladies who have beaten both Yuna and Mao and one of the two who have beaten Mao more than once. Joannie does look awfully strong right now.

Kozuka is probably the most consistent one of the bunch. I just wonder whether he will be lowballed once again in pcs compared to Joubert and Chan. I really wish Takahashi were to compete. I used to much prefer Oda until 2007, but now, I really miss him. Neither Kozuka nor Oda quite delivers like Dai does.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just hope that Kim and Rochette can break their trends of having the worst performances of their seasons at Worlds. They have both been more known as Grand Prix skaters; hopefully, they can show their strengths at Worlds too. Twice Yu-Na has seen a potential golden Worlds turn to bronze. Joannie enters her 7th Worlds with her best chance ever at a World medal. It will be exciting to see if they can finally make one of their dreams come true!

Last edited:

pista04

On the Ice
Ladies: Kim - Asada - Rochette - Kostner - Flatt - Lepisto - Czisny

The front runners for me are Kim, Asada and Rochette. Kim has shown she's got it, and just needs to keep a steady head. Im expecting another not so flawless short from Asada, and expect Rochette to take the bronze over Kostner.

I feel like we'll see a resurge from Ando, and a redemption from Flatt after her not so amazing showing at 4CC (although it still wasn't bad.) I think Lepisto will show what she's made of, but will then see that it's not enough to overtake a good Flatt or Kostner. Czisny will skate with her heart, and I believe that, with a fall or two, she'll find herself in 7.

...And hey...13 for US. =]

Trewyn

Medalist
^^ interesting... But where do you factor in Miki Ando? I'm not a big fan of her skating, but she's consistently gotten big scores from the judges. Or are you expecting another withdrawal from her?