Who Are Your Front Runners in Worlds 2009? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who Are Your Front Runners in Worlds 2009?

Luciana

Rinkside
It's only my hope.

Ladies

Rochette, Zhang or Czisny, Lepisto or Kim, in that order

Men
Abbott, Chan, Joubert , in that order

PAIRS
S/S, D/D , P/T, in that order

DANCE
B/A, D/S(France), V/M in that order

Except Ladies, that order is not so absurb and Rochette can win Gold, IMO.

Last edited:

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
Ladies: I noticed some trends with Mao and Yuna.
a. Mao has never defended any international title. 2006 JW- lost to Yuna. 2006 GPF- lost to Yuna. 2008 TEB- lost to Joannie. 2009 4CC- lost to Yuna. She is currently reigning world champion.

b. Yuna has never beaten Mao twice in a row. She won 2006 gpf over Mao, placed behind Mao at 2007 Worlds. Won 2008 gpf over Mao, placed behind Mao at 2008 Worlds. And she just won 4cc over Mao.

Aforementioned things considered, I predict Joannie to win. Not at all scientifique prediction, but sometimes trends do hold up.

Men: I expect Joubert, Chan, and Lysacek on the podium with Kozuka with a very good chance to medal as well. Ponsero may do well, but he must place in the final group to get pcs anywhere near Lysacek.

NHK 2006,07,08?
Men-Joubert, Oda, and Chan.
Woman- Asada, Ando, Kim.
Pairs- P/T, S/S, D/D
Dance-D/S, D/W, V/M.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Men
Joubert
Chan
Abbott

Women
Kim
Asada
Rochette

Dance
Del/Sho
Kou/Nov
Bel/Ago

Pairs
Germany
China (P&P)
China

screech

Final Flight
My top 5s in any order
Men:
Joubert
Chan
Kozuka
Oda
Lysacek

Ladies:
Kim
Asada
Rochette
Kostner
Suguri

Pairs:
S/S (Germany)
P/T (China)
Z/Z (China)
D/D (Canada)
D/B (Canada)

Dance:
D/S (France)
K/N (Russia)
D/W (USA)
V/M (Canada)
D/S (Russia)

Okami

On the Ice
Kozuka is probably the most consistent one of the bunch. (...) I used to much prefer Oda until 2007, but now, I really miss him. Neither Kozuka nor Oda quite delivers like Dai does.

I wouldn't say Nobunari hasn't been delivering this season. He won every competition before 4CC, and IMHO was completely robbed at 4CC (I thought he'll win the LP). The mistakes he made were relatively minor and caused by him not being used to the smaller rink. If anything, it's impressive that he made so few mistakes when he kept colliding with the biards as much as 7 times in a row in the practice. Before the competition he concentrated on developing his speed for PCS and ice conerage in jumps for GoEs, and, as one of his team mentioned, the small rink "sealed" his strengths.

As for Daisuke, I'm sort of surprised to see him considered asd one of the consistent guys... The Japanese press even nicknamed him "Glass Prince", because he had a tendency to fall apart in the competitions so much. Now that I think about it, there's no super consistent male skater competiong now. I'd say Joubert, but he seems to struggle with the long program this season (and his consistency in earlier seasons could be explained by the fact that he diluted his programs a lot - quad yes, but no 2nd 3A and no maxed up jump layout).

^^ interesting... But where do you factor in Miki Ando? I'm not a big fan of her skating, but she's consistently gotten big scores from the judges. Or are you expecting another withdrawal from her?

Actually, the judges were really harsh on her this season, IMHO. Her PCS are slowly getting better with every competition, though, so I hope she'll have a great skate at Worlds and place well.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
I don't read anything about Kostner who may just grab the title.

Well, she lost to Laura Lepisto... Due to a weird mistake in the Short, ok, but the image she gave at Euros is not the image of one who can easily beat Yunny and Maoy.

figuristka

Medalist
Men
Joubert
Chan
Kozuka

Dark horses Oda and Lycacek who could take away a medal if not skated well by those 3.

Ladies
Ya nu kim
Asada
Rochette
Dark horses Ando and kostner

Pairs
P/T China
D/D Canada
S/S Germany
Dark horses Z/Z China and K/S Russia

Ice Dance
Usually dance is the most predictable but this year with so many injuries from top teams it will be very hard to say the favourites.

Wrlmy

Medalist
I wouldn't say Nobunari hasn't been delivering this season. He won every competition before 4CC, and IMHO was completely robbed at 4CC (I thought he'll win the LP). The mistakes he made were relatively minor and caused by him not being used to the smaller rink. If anything, it's impressive that he made so few mistakes when he kept colliding with the biards as much as 7 times in a row in the practice. Before the competition he concentrated on developing his speed for PCS and ice conerage in jumps for GoEs, and, as one of his team mentioned, the small rink "sealed" his strengths.

Okami, I should've been more clear. I wasn't talking about consistency. What I meant by delivering is performance and audience connection at which I used to think Nobu was better than Dai until 2006/2007.

Eurofan

On the Ice
According to various sources (the Neue Zürcher Zeitung, Tribune de Genève, www.artonice.it) Meier is out with a herniated disc and a hip problem. Something to do with the hip joint/socket and the labrum; my knowledge of anatomy/physiology is pretty minimal so I couldn't tell you exactly what. Anyway, between the back, the hip, and a weakened right leg, she's not in good shape but still plans to compete at Worlds, after which she will get hip surgery.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
^ I hope she'll be there. The ladies competition at Europeans really suffered with her absence.

As for Daisuke, I'm sort of surprised to see him considered asd one of the consistent guys... The Japanese press even nicknamed him "Glass Prince", because he had a tendency to fall apart in the competitions so much. Now that I think about it, there's no super consistent male skater competiong now. I'd say Joubert, but he seems to struggle with the long program this season (and his consistency in earlier seasons could be explained by the fact that he diluted his programs a lot - quad yes, but no 2nd 3A and no maxed up jump layout).

I don't think Daisuke had any 'disasters' since 2005 Worlds, where he completely unraveled in the LP (That was a painful program to watch).

I agree with Joubert being the front runner even though he's been having problems in the LP. He's the only man with a world title who hasn't retired, and so may be the only one who can match the PCS the judges are awarding Chan.

Betty07

Rinkside
Ladies: Kim, Rochette, Asada
Men: Chan, Joubert, Abbott
Pair: Savchenko & Szolkowy, Pang & Tong, Dube&Davison
Ice Dance: Khokhlova & Novitski, Davis & White, Virtue & Moir

Last edited:

atatime

Rinkside
Ladies

Yu-na kim:love:
Joannie Rochette:love:
Alissa Czisny:love:

Men

Patrick Chan
Kozuka Takahiko:love:
Brian joubert

Ice Dance

I just love Meryl & Charlie:love:

Last edited:

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Mao, Yuna and Joannie are the favorite right now. Both Ando and Kostner have the ability to outscore Rochett. Kostner PB is 120 (poping one 3F), so if she skate 7 triples clean, she can get close to 130. So is Ando. Only problem is Kostner always make at least one mistake and Ando has been the poster girl for UR call. =( But once the judge like a skater, he/she will always held up by PCS.

Final Flight
yuna kim
brian joubert
aliona savchenko/ robin szolkowy
isabelle delobel/ olivier schoenfelder

R.D.

Record Breaker
Absolutely nothing to do with hopefuls, but as far as Ladies are concerned, there are TWO frontrunners with ONE dark horse: Kim/Asada and Rochette.

If either of them gets a big lead after the short, may as well forget about even having a free skate.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Not necessarily my wishes, but these skaters I see as front runners

Men / Chan
Ladies / Kim
Pairs / Pang & Tong
Dance / Khokhlova & Novitski