Davis / White
Pechalat / Bourzat
Savchenko / Szolokowy
Pang / Tong
Kavaguti / Smirnov - 2015 or 2016

Patrick Chan - *hoping

desertskates

Medalist
I agree with most of the predictions here. What I am really wondering about is who will be sticking around for worlds this year? I'm assuming the Japanese top ladies would, since it's being held in their home country. But I think Carolina and some of the other Europeans (along with Yuna) will not. Something tells me Ashley will hang out for another two years to try for worlds in Boston '16. And I think Mirai will hang on. With all her efforts in Japan, she's come too far to stop.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I've heard from posters on this board and another that Kozuka is not retiring, but Verner and Abbott are, according to reliable sources (which sources, I'm not sure of).
Verner has been saying for a while now that this is it for him. He is not going to Worlds, he is going to do Plushenko's tour this spring and will finish his MBA this summer. Same goes for Joubert (minus the MBA ;)). Abbott said after US Nats that it was his last, he's done.

Also done: Takahashi, Kostner, Asada, Suzuki, reportedly Kanako Murakami, P/B, S/S, and one would hope Pang and Tong. I imagine that V/M and D/W will also retire. Presumably Konstantin Menshov. Plushenko. Oda and Ando have already retired. Blades of Passion was joking, but it really does feel like everyone is retiring. Some of these skaters have been competing since the 1990s.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
I would like V/M & D/W to retire ONLY because they have been such a lock-in for the top two at every championships for 5 years & I would like to see others come through.
I would miss them though.
I adore V/M but feel that D/W have hit a wall & even gone back.

Big Deal

Final Flight
I would like V/M & D/W to retire ONLY because they have been such a lock-in for the top two at every championships for 5 years & I would like to see others come through.
I would miss them though.
I adore V/M but feel that D/W have hit a wall & even gone back.

Watching the Euro I'm affraid without them Ice Dance will lose the sparkle and will be a kind of bore, different couples doing the same elements better or worse depending on their technical abilities.
I haven't seen much personality among the younger one's.
Weaver/Poje , Ilynikh/Katsalapov, Hubbel/zachary, Gilles/Poirier,Sinitsina/Zhiganshin and Hurtado/Diaz can do something for us, I do hope that, but none of theirs creativity can be in comparison with the great 2....

phaeljones

On the Ice
I would say:

. . .

Probably a bunch of others I cant think of now so I will edit and add to the lists later. Skaters I definitely think are continuing, atleast for now, though are:

. . .
Reynolds
. . .

Great comprehensive list. I was surprised that Reynolds has indicated that he is continuing. In his Olympic bio, he writes under as his ambition:
Ambitions
To compete at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, and win gold at the 2018 Games in Pyeongchang. (mississauga.com, 16 Mar 2013)

The bio is at: http://www.sochi2014.com/en/athlete-kevin-reynolds

That is quite an extended commitment, given the age factor. I love his skating so I am very pleased, but nevertheless surprised.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Weaver/Poje , Ilynikh/Katsalapov, Hubbel/zachary, Gilles/Poirier,Sinitsina/Zhiganshin and Hurtado/Diaz can do something for us, I do hope that, but none of theirs creativity can be in comparison with the great 2....
When I think of Virtue/Moir and Davis/White, creativity is not the first word that comes to mind. I think some of the lower-ranked teams you listed are doing considerably more creative stuff than V/M and D/W, just not at the same technical level.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Many here believe that after YuNa retires some folks here will move on to other interests not involving figure skating. I am sure that is true. But I do wonder about what fans a little more committed to figure skating will do when their particular favorites retire. I myself never got to watch YuNa's development through the years; late to the party, as they say. So now I am more keen on catching great talent at the beginning of their careers. I think of all the skaters finally coming into their own now and it makes me think it is going to be a great time these next four years, and I expect to see excellence across the board. In particular I am keeping my eye on the young Polina. :)

While the retirement of Inga is far away (fingers crossed), what would I do if she retires? Well, I would still enjoy the sport, but of course be very sad. Especially if you follow a skater since the early junior years then you just let those in your heart and when they leave, a big empty spot is left behind.

I have a long history of fav. skaters, it all started with Kati Witt, Tanja Harding, Sasha Cohan, over to the fin era with Susanna, Laura and Alisa and I never lost interest after their retirement.

But there are also so many great dancers and pair or men. Sasha will hopefully go on for many years, so will Henna & Ossi etc. You know, whenever I go to an event, I find someone new I like.

Yes a total favorite like Inga, Sasha, Susanna or Laura wont come every season - but I still enjoy the sport too much to also retire when they do ;)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
When I think of Virtue/Moir and Davis/White, creativity is not the first word that comes to mind. I think some of the lower-ranked teams you listed are doing considerably more creative stuff than V/M and D/W, just not at the same technical level.

Exactly. That`s why I say they Dand W and V and M are not outstanding charismatic teams. I appreciate this is COP but they don`t have that magic - they do what they do really well but they aren`t pure artists like in the past withor without COP.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Maybe Alissa and Evan will officially retire although it sounds like they will just sort of fade out. It seems like Jeremy Ten and Ameilie Lacoste will go but Jeremy will be cheering for Adam Rippon. I am not sure Leonova will give up especially if Russia wins thethird spot back. I do wonder about Makarova though with the injury and competition either in Russi or the US she seems to be swimming upstream so to speak. If D and W and V and M retire in dance one wonders if P and B will try to stay on to win world`s but I have a feeling they know while it has been slow they are about to be passed by US 2, Canada 2, russia 1 and 2 and Italy.

mikeko666

Final Flight
I could see Suzuki surprising and staying in another year or two. Could also see the JSF trying hard to persaude Mao but probably with no success.

Suzuki has stated numerous times that this is her last season. On the other hand, Asada rather sounds ambiguous about her retirement these days.

desertskates

Medalist
Verner has been saying for a while now that this is it for him. He is not going to Worlds, he is going to do Plushenko's tour this spring and will finish his MBA this summer. Same goes for Joubert (minus the MBA ;)). Abbott said after US Nats that it was his last, he's done.

Also done: Takahashi, Kostner, Asada, Suzuki, reportedly Kanako Murakami, P/B, S/S, and one would hope Pang and Tong. I imagine that V/M and D/W will also retire. Presumably Konstantin Menshov. Plushenko. Oda and Ando have already retired. Blades of Passion was joking, but it really does feel like everyone is retiring. Some of these skaters have been competing since the 1990s.

Wow, what a great article about Verner. An MBA? Awesome. I have a 22 year old daughter who loves going to Prague I'd like him to meet, haha!

MidnightSkater

On the Ice

Total agreement.
No other couples have had a chance to shine as we are always being told by the top two uber fans & commentators that they are so far ahead no one can touch them.
I often enjoy many so-called lower ranked couples much more than V/M & D/W.
Also, there have been times when these two have made errors yet never strayed from the top.
2011 GPF V/M fell yet still finished 2nd.
2011 COR D/W had an error in the SD yet stayed ahead of W/P.
I want to see a more open Ice Dance division.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Total agreement.
No other couples have had a chance to shine as we are always being told by the top two uber fans & commentators that they are so far ahead no one can touch them.
I often enjoy many so-called lower ranked couples much more than V/M & D/W.
Also, there have been times when these two have made errors yet never strayed from the top.
2011 GPF V/M fell yet still finished 2nd.
2011 COR D/W had an error in the SD yet stayed ahead of W/P.
I want to see a more open Ice Dance division.

I dunno though, to some extent I feel like it's up to the other teams to push through if they want to push through. Davis and White weren't always Davis and White, and even Virtue and Moir weren't always Virtue and Moir. Both teams (but especially D/W) spent some time in the middle of the pack (or at least high second tier) before clawing their way up. I refuse to believe another team can't claw their way up, whether or not D/W and V/M retire. At D/W's first 3 senior worlds they were 7,6,4. Belbin/Agosto and D/S did NOT retire- they just clawed their way past them.

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
Okay, maybe I live under a rock, but will someone clue me in as to why Murakami would retire this year if she's only 19?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I dunno though, to some extent I feel like it's up to the other teams to push through if they want to push through. Davis and White weren't always Davis and White, and even Virtue and Moir weren't always Virtue and Moir. Both teams (but especially D/W) spent some time in the middle of the pack (or at least high second tier) before clawing their way up. I refuse to believe another team can't claw their way up, whether or not D/W and V/M retire. At D/W's first 3 senior worlds they were 7,6,4. Belbin/Agosto and D/S did NOT retire- they just clawed their way past them.

I saw both W/P and D/W at Skate America in 2012. W/P were much, much slower than D/W and Bobrova/Soloviev. I love W/P's expression and dances, but watching them skate in person, it's quite clear to me why W/P would be behind D/W even if the later made a mistake.

And actually I left Skate America more impressed with Bobrova/Soloviev than Weaver/Poje (I totally expected it to be the reverse). I don't care their (former) FD this season, and they look like a total mess this season, but I can see why judges score them above Weaver/Poje. I think Bobrova/Soloviev have the opportunity to be World Champions after the top two retire (if?) if they get better programs.

I'd love to see I/K live sometime...because perhaps I can appreciate them more and their potential.

Per your point tulosai, I will play devil's advocate and say that D/W also had help from Delobel /Schoenfelder being out on maternity leave and Domnina / Shabalin injured in the 2009-2010 season.

Okay, maybe I live under a rock, but will someone clue me in as to why Murakami would retire this year if she's only 19?

Murakami has indicated she would like to retire because she wanted to go to school and live a more normal life.

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
Murakami has indicated she would like to retire because she wanted to go to school and live a more normal life.

Makes perfect sense if that's what she wants most. That's why I quit, although I of course wasn't skating at an international level.