Who will land a 4A? | Golden Skate

Who will land a 4A?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/miki9700261/status/860087049033891840 Here's a bit of off-season fun!
Boyang attempts the 4A...and lands it. The quality is grainy, but it does look like it's mostly rotated. Just amazing.

EDIT: hmmm...actually is that a 3A? Maan. I guess it is. I really wanted it to be a 4.

Well, changing the title to who will land a 4A?
It used to be just the realm of fantasy but with quads coming in thick and fast, I think it's a possibility that someone will land it in the next 4 years after the Olympics.
Yuzuru Hanyu says he wants to but isn't sure if he will try it in a competition.

Who else might attempt it?

Last edited:

tennisguy

Rinkside
If you look at how the triples progressed it would seem likely that will see a quad-quad combination before the 4A or maybe someone will do the 3A+4T combination first.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
^Shoma Uno tried that for fun a few times.

https://twitter.com/miki9700261/status/860087049033891840 Here's a bit of off-season fun!
Boyang attempts the 4A...and lands it. The quality is grainy, but it does look like it's mostly rotated. Just amazing.

EDIT: hmmm...actually is that a 3A? Maan. I guess it is. I really wanted it to be a 4.

Well, changing the title to who will land a 4A?
It used to be just the realm of fantasy but with quads coming in thick and fast, I think it's a possibility that someone will land it in the next 4 years after the Olympics.
Yuzuru Hanyu says he wants to but isn't sure if he can will try it in a competition.

Who else might attempt it?

It's got to be someone whose 3A is easy and stable. From what we've seen so far, many guys who have great quads have problems with the triple axel. If he continues after 2018, my money is on Yuzuru.

andromache

Record Breaker
Boyang doesn't seem to struggle with his axels, and he's young and has stayed pretty healthy. It'll either be him or someone who we haven't seen on the senior circuit yet (or among the top juniors).

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Boyang and Yuzu are the first that comes to my mind followed by Nathan and Shoma, but I would not be surprised if it is an upcoming
Junior (who shall remain nameless) that attempts and lands it in competition.

Last edited:

Yoa

On the Ice
Well... there are rumors that Yuzu already landed it practice. And looking at this simulation and his reaction to it, it seems he is really confident about 4A .

ejnsofi

Final Flight
I place my bet on Yuzuru. His 3A is really stable and he has textbook technique.
Nathan's 3A is average and he falls on it more often than he does on his quads.
I also have my black horse Kolyada. His 3A is huge so I think it'd be possible for him to add 1 more rotation

moriel

Record Breaker
I hope it wont happen any soon, but if id have to bet, id put my money on Hanyu.
He does 3A from standstill, i´m pretty sure he is capable of doing a 4A and just doesnt because of injury risks

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoma said in a press conference that he fears getting injured while working on the 4A. I hope he remembers that statement. Maybe we should get him a t-shirt with that printed on it!? :laugh:

Last edited:

QuadThrow

Medalist
I first thought of Boyang after reading the headline. Hanyu's Axel is just so amazing perfect. Maybe it is better to stay this way.

Maybe the ISU should allow Quad-Quad combos and the 4A for the SP after Olympics.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Possibly by Boyang, Hanyu, Shoma, or up and coming seniors like Vincent and others.

While I've had a great pleasure of watching all new quads flying in the air and across the ice for the recent two seasons, it doesn't make any sense to me that some of top skaters attempt 4A NOW just less than a year ahead of the Olympics. That attempts may be just for fun and nothing serious, but I would be very disappointed that some of top skaters' health get endangered by the new adventure or they deliver poorly at the Olympics a la Sochi men's competition. The explosive technical advance is already enough with 4Lutz, 4Flip, 4Loop along with the traditional 4T and 4S as of now. Only handful of skaters can jump two types of quads. I want them to focus on balancing their quads and artistry more in their programs and give us really good performances in a row at PyeongChang. The trials of 4 and a half revolution or quint jumps can be postponed after PyeongChang.

Last edited:

tennisguy

Rinkside
I first thought of Boyang after reading the headline. Hanyu's Axel is just so amazing perfect. Maybe it is better to stay this way.

Maybe the ISU should allow Quad-Quad combos and the 4A for the SP after Olympics.

I think they'll wait until someone can actually land those things before putting them in the short program. Keep in mind it took a number of years before skaters were allowed to do a 3A or a quad in the short program after those elements were first landed in competition.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I would probably guess the most likely is Hanyu since he has the most stable 3A of the bunch. Uno has a lot of distance but not sure if he has the height to do a 4A. Kolyada's 3A has nice height and spring to it but not sure if he has the build to spin that fast. Jin's got potential but his axel isn't the strongest - he could just will it to happen like his 4Z. I can picture one of the up and coming Russians like Lazukin start training it. We are a bit ahead of ourselves but I suppose that's what happens when guys land the full set of quads! :laugh:

mrrice

Record Breaker

NO!!!! Thank Goodness for those harnesses. Brendan and Max are two very good looking skaters and I'd like to see them stay that way. When you look at the force of those jump attempts, it really scares me. I don't know much about Brendan but, I could see Max having a "No guts No Glory" attitude and going for it. Can't these guys backload like Med and work harder on their second mark? When Max skates cleanly, I think he's capable of making the Olympic Team and I'd hate to see him get injured and miss the opportunity to make an attempt.

Last edited: