Who's a Couple? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Who's a Couple?

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
ilovepaydays said:
I could care less about whether a skater is gay although I have to wonder if he is gay why his posture was so bad and he wasn't very artistic.

The only skater who has with NO DOUBT set my gaydar off is Johnny Weir. I don't understand why if he is so comfortable with himself as he seems why he doesn't just go and come out. It's not like the judges, the ISU, and the USFSA doesn't have a gaydar, either.

OMG that is too hilarious! Bad posture and no artistry, not gay:biggrin: . Tim sets off my gaydar. Not all of us sit up really straight and act all artsy:biggrin: .

Even though I love it when they come out, and I think it is really important, I understand why Johnny, and others, wouldn't. Because it's who he is, and he doesn't feel the need to make a big statement about it. Coming out is not comfortable. I can't really imagine doing it on television. Whew! Why would he want to bring a lot of attention to himself just for his sexual orientation? All the 'princessy' stuff is just about being himself. If that gets attention, fine. I'm sure what he'd most want to be known for is his skating, just like any athlete or actor, gay or straight, who wants their performance to be the issue.

I was hoping Johnny would meet some Russian skier and have a nice Olympic romance. along with a medal... oh well.

Justafan

On the Ice
ilovepaydays said:
I could care less about whether a skater is gay although I have to wonder if he is gay why his posture was so bad and he wasn't very artistic.

The only skater who has with NO DOUBT set my gaydar off is Johnny Weir. I don't understand why if he is so comfortable with himself as he seems why he doesn't just go and come out. It's not like the judges, the ISU, and the USFSA doesn't have a gaydar, either.

Probably because he has a lot of very young little girl fans. Also because it really isn't anyone's business and has no bearing on his skating.

kimi

Spectator
ceg15 said:
Are Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir a couple?

Whenever they've been asked about their relationship in interviews that I've seen, they've always said that they're like brother and sister...so I guess not.

lotusland

On the Ice
ceg15 said:
Are Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir a couple?

No.

Someone also asked about the Canadians: Annabelle Langlois & Cody Hay (pairs), yes they are a couple off ice. Annabelle was also a couple with her previous partner, Patrice Archetto, until the Christmas of 2003 just before thier final performance at the 2004 Canadian Championships.

Last edited:

RubyNV

Rinkside
More

Shishkova and Naumov---married
Roca and Sur--former couple, but long-time business partners in choreography, etc.
Valova and Vassiliev--former husband and wife

candycane

Rinkside
lotusland said:
No.

Someone also asked about the Canadians: Annabelle Langlois & Cody Hay (pairs), yes they are a couple off ice. Annabelle was also a couple with her previous partner, Patrice Archetto, until the Christmas of 2003 just before thier final performance at the 2004 Canadian Championships.

Are they back training yet?????? I heard they were a couple as well, Cody is quite cute.

RubyNV

Rinkside
Protopopovs

Has anyone already mentioned the Protopopovs? They've been married a long, long time!
Chen Lu and Denis Petrov are married and are coaching in China.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
FauveNik said:
>>

He hasnt come out??? Lord with quote like " Im a Princess" I would think that about sums it up! He is truly beautiful boy though,, he would be a beautiful girl too! I think the need for him to actully say the words is mute really, after all we all know and he does Nothing to hide it. C' est la vie!:)
Fauve

I'd say he is "out" among family and friends. I don't think its necessary for any of the skaters to come "out" to their fans. Did you see the "Weir eye for the skate guy" on Oympic Ice? he seems very comfortable with himself and has a sense of humor. Tim G and Evan L also set off my gaydar. All I can say is thank God for that because a lot of the staighties do nothing for me on the ice.. joubert...

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I just don't understand why all the interest in whether some one is gay. I'd rather not know. To me, it is just disappointing when people start in on whether someone is gay.

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
Grgranny said:
I just don't understand why all the interest in whether some one is gay. I'd rather not know. To me, it is just disappointing when people start in on whether someone is gay.

I actually think it is interesting..:p just to prove my thesis that all goodlooking guys are gay. Did I just dream this, or is Buttle and Weir gay? I strongly remember it saying so in an article...could be fun to know for those of us who cares about gossip..:biggrin:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
How many couples actually met at the Olys? I read somewhere that Kristy Y met her husband for the first time when he was on the Oly hockey team in '92; I don't know if there are any others.

76olympics

On the Ice
Didn't Jenni Meno and Todd Sand meet at the Olympics when they skated with different partners? I don't know a great deal about them -but seem to recall hearing something to that effect. I do believe it was a competition --just not sure which one.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
76olympics said:
Didn't Jenni Meno and Todd Sand meet at the Olympics when they skated with different partners?

They met at the rink. They had the same coach. They started dating at the 1992 Olympics.

Silver Lining

Rinkside
kimi said:
The Canadian kids, Dube and Davison are a couple...Davison was quoted in an article saying that he and Dube had been dating for about 5 months or so

Aw, they are so cute together. :)

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
the thread just won't die!

I found out recently that Daniil Baratsev and Jennifer Wester are an item, soon to be married.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
Grgranny said:
It's pretty important to a lot of gay people. Gays often grow up feeling very isolated, often viciously bullied, shamed and rejected. Having real people publicly acknowledge that can help very much. It's not just gossip. For me personally, seeing an acknowledged gay person excel, particularly in sports, is thrilling and inspirational. It touches me deeply. By sharing our struggle, we overcome it and become powerful.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
sk8fanconvert said:
It's pretty important to a lot of gay people. Gays often grow up feeling very isolated, often viciously bullied, shamed and rejected. Having real people publicly acknowledge that can help very much. It's not just gossip. For me personally, seeing an acknowledged gay person excel, particularly in sports, is thrilling and inspirational. It touches me deeply. By sharing our struggle, we overcome it and become powerful.

I got to give the post above a GOE of +3!