Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 74 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
What is the Action Shot Challenge? Lots of figure skaters are posting photos for this challenge, but (as far as I know) none of them have explained what it's about.

They have to post a shot of them in action (skating, etc) and then tag others to do the same.

^ According to the rules, pair skaters are subject to the same deductions for "e" and "!" as single skaters are.

I don't think many pairs skaters do triple flips and triple Lutzes, though.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Given that pretty much all my recent posts in this thread have been about the female upper torso, I was dithering for a couple of days about whether to bring this topic up.

But, I remember the "bottom half" of this topic being discussed on the forum sometime in the past year or so. So, I am guessing it is alright to discuss the "top half" of the topic. If not, I apologise.

First thing in the morning a couple of days ago, I got up and put on British Eurosport to check if there was anything on that day that I wanted to watch. As it turned out, there wasn't. But, at the time I was checking, there was a Women's tennis match on from the Australian Open. And it was immediately obvious that one player was wearing a bra, while the other wasn't.

Now, it is pretty obvious what the advantages are for a sportswoman to wear a bra. To quote a very famous advert for a sports bra, featuring tennis player Anna Kournikova, "Only the ball should bounce"...

But, are there advantages of not wearing one. Does it help your breathing, or movement, or something? I don't have that anatomy, so I don't know!

And how can these theories be translated into figure skating?

Despite what my recent posts in this thread may suggest, I don't make a habit of looking at skaters' chests. (I only tend to notice them if there is a specific reason to notice them).

Consequently, I don't have a clue whether most skaters wear bras or not.

So, can anybody shed some light on the matter?

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
I think there are three basic approaches:

*No support (skaters with small breasts, most common with the younger teens)

*Support built into to the dress itself

*Bra under the dress (more common with adult skaters)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
CaroLiza_fan

First off I want to say I see nothing wrong or weird about your question. Costume construction and support is a subject within figure skating, there is nothing wrong with discussing it, and actually it is a subject that I would not mind learning more about. Gravity exists, it is a factor, we should not feel odd about talking about how it is dealt with be it for a jump or a costume. To be honest I'm glad you asked the question, because I find stuff like this fascinating and hope we get some good answers.

I would expect that most have built in support to be honest. I know that Carolina Kostner had a backless costume that you could see a clear bra strap across her back. Similar in theory to flesh colored panels, but just a translucent/clear strap instead. You can see it clearly in this performance if you know to look for it. So that is one example. No idea if it is attached to the costume or just a clear bra separately.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
CaroLiza_fan

I know that Carolina Kostner had a backless costume that you could see a clear bra strap across her back. Similar in theory to flesh colored panels, but just a translucent/clear strap instead. You can see it clearly in this performance if you know to look for it. So that is one example. No idea if it is attached to the costume or just a clear bra separately.

If the costume is in fact backless without illusion fabric, as it seems to be, then the strap may just be there to hold the costume together so it would not pull apart with a gap. This construction of skating costume is seen quite commonly and it may not be anything to do with support. eta: On second thought, this costume seems to have built in support so the strap would serve both functions.

Shae Lynn had a wardrobe malfunction once which showed she didn't wear a bra. Probable not so necessary for Ice Dancers anyway.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I think there are three basic approaches:

*No support (skaters with small breasts, most common with the younger teens)

The tennis player I saw that was going without a bra did not have a substantial chest. But, what she did have was a bad case of peanut smuggling.

And, even if they do not have much of a chest, that is why I do not like young skaters going without.

There were a couple of occasions in the past year when I saw very young skaters who were smuggling peanuts. And it was very uncomfortable viewing. As I like the 2 skaters in question and wanted to see the routines, my way around this problem was to watch looking over my glasses, so that the picture was blurred! :laugh: It was strange, but it worked! ;)

*Bra under the dress (more common with adult skaters)

Personally, I think this is a better option than going without. But if it is a backless or shoulderless dress, then there is the possibility of straps showing and potentially spoiling the look.

*Support built into to the dress itself

Mmmm. I never knew that support could be built into dresses (Hey, how many guys do know much about the mechanics of dresses? :laugh: ). That sounds like a good idea. An ideal alternative to having bits bouncing about or having unsightly straps on show.

CaroLiza_fan

First off I want to say I see nothing wrong or weird about your question. Costume construction and support is a subject within figure skating, there is nothing wrong with discussing it, and actually it is a subject that I would not mind learning more about. Gravity exists, it is a factor, we should not feel odd about talking about how it is dealt with be it for a jump or a costume. To be honest I'm glad you asked the question, because I find stuff like this fascinating and hope we get some good answers.

Awww. Thank you for the support, StitchMonkey (if you pardon the pun).

It's just that I was worried that some of the female members may feel uncomfortable about a guy bringing this up.

I would expect that most have built in support to be honest. I know that Carolina Kostner had a backless costume that you could see a clear bra strap across her back. Similar in theory to flesh colored panels, but just a translucent/clear strap instead. You can see it clearly in this performance if you know to look for it. So that is one example. No idea if it is attached to the costume or just a clear bra separately.

If the costume is in fact backless without illusion fabric, as it seems to be, then the strap may just be there to hold the costume together so it would not pull apart with a gap. This construction of skating costume is seen quite commonly and it may not be anything to do with support. eta: On second thought, this costume seems to have built in support so the strap would serve both functions.

Whatever it's purpose, I do think that the clear strap works very well here. Put it like this, I hadn't actually noticed it before until you pointed it out! Although, I have to admit, I never really liked the dress itself...

Thank you all for your replies

CaroLiza_fan

cmvln

Spectator
I'm curious about the early days of figure skating. When did competitions move indoors? Sometime in the 1950s? Was live music used for the early competitions (a piano, outdoors, in the cold?) - or was there perhaps no music for early free skating? If there wasn't, when was music introduced? At what point did skaters start performing to recorded music?

gkelly

Record Breaker
I've read that Lily Kronberger introduced music to skating competitions.

Social skating to live music dates back at least to the 1880s or so in Austria -- waltzing on ice especially.

Would have to do more research to find out when everyone started using music, and when live accompaniment gave way to recordings.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
What's the closest any female skater has come to doing 3-3s with all five main triples (in competition)?

I know Yuna (3T-3T, 3F-3T, 3Lz-3T) and Liza (3T-3T, 3S-3T, 3Lz-3T) have done three each. How many kinds has Midori Ito done? (I know she's done at least two--3T-3T and 3S-3T). Has anyone performed four? What about the elusive 3Lo-3T?

Side note: Most top male skaters can probably do all 3-3s, but I suspect few actually performed them all in competition, since there was no need to do so.

gkelly

Record Breaker
What's the closest any female skater has come to doing 3-3s with all five main triples (in competition)?

I know Yuna (3T-3T, 3F-3T, 3Lz-3T) and Liza (3T-3T, 3S-3T, 3Lz-3T) have done three each. How many kinds has Midori Ito done? (I know she's done at least two--3T-3T and 3S-3T).

Ito has done 3Lz+3T. When did she do 3S-3T?

I can think of several others who have attempted three different kinds. Do you count them if the second jump was underrotated?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Ito has done 3Lz+3T. When did she do 3S-3T?

I can think of several others who have attempted three different kinds. Do you count them if the second jump was underrotated?
:hopelessness: My bad. I felt like I saw 3S-3T during one of the CBC fluff pieces, but I must've dreamed it.

But I found this! It seems like Ito did two different 3-3s: 3T-3T and 3Lz-3T. Video also includes footage of 3F-3T and 3A-3T, but I don't think either were landed in competition.

I'd count < as long as it's landed on one foot, with no turn-out. I'd count flutz/lip too, as long as there's at least some attempt of getting on the right edge.

taltaltel

On the Ice
Sarah Hughes has landed 3T-3Lo, 3S-3Lo and 3Lo-3Lo. Underrotated maybe, but - at least to me - they were aesthetically pleasing.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Irina Slutskaya did 3S+3Lo, 3T+3T, 3Lz+3Lo.

Elena Sokolova has done the elusive 3Lo+3T :). She also did 3Lz+3T in 2003 and I think I remember but can't find video evidence of her doing 3S+3T and 3T+3T+2Lo at least once each.

How about combos with half loop between two triples? E.g., Tara Lipinski did 3S+3Lo, 3Lo+3Lo, and 3T+1Lo+3S.

Surya Bonaly has done 3F+3T, 3T+3T, and 3T+1Lo+3S. I think she has also done 3Lz+3T, but I can't quickly find confirmation.

Sorry, my brain got full during the 6.0 era and I haven't memorized as much from more recently. :)
(Actually it's probably more that I have access to so much more skating online now that I don't watch the same programs over and over any more.)

taltaltel

On the Ice
Irina Slutskaya did 3S+3Lo, 3T+3T, 3Lz+3Lo.

Elena Sokolova has done the elusive 3Lo+3T :). She also did 3Lz+3T in 2003 and I think I remember but can't find video evidence of her doing 3S+3T and 3T+3T+2Lo at least once each.

How about combos with half loop between two triples? E.g., Tara Lipinski did 3S+3Lo, 3Lo+3Lo, and 3T+1Lo+3S.

Surya Bonaly has done 3F+3T, 3T+3T, and 3T+1Lo+3S. I think she has also done 3Lz+3T, but I can't quickly find confirmation.

Sorry, my brain got full during the 6.0 era and I haven't memorized as much from more recently. :)
(Actually it's probably more that I have access to so much more skating online now that I don't watch the same programs over and over any more.)

I don't know what more skaters don't try that combination actually. Radionova also did that last year at NHK trophy because she was completely off-balance landing on her 3Lz and had to put the combination in later.