Vegetarianism and Performing at a top level of dance, skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Vegetarianism and Performing at a top level of dance, skating

fuzzymarmot

Rinkside
How do I teach my Vietnamese parents to eat hummus ;)?

I know this isn't a serious question, but here's what I'd try... make it yourself and serve it warm instead of cold. I found out by accident after making hummus from a freshly cooked batch of chickpeas that warm hummus is amazing. :) I've also seen a warm chickpea fondue recipe that looks like variant of hummus, only runnier. And skip the tahini if that's the stumbling block; hummus perfectly good without it as far as I'm concerned. Oh, and sesame oil instead of olive oil is a delicious variant, though probably less healthy.

I wasn't a fan of vegetables and didn't know that there're more than one way to cook veggies until I was introduced ti Middle Eastern cuisine. Just looking at the photos of Israeli breakfast make me drool. I'm not a cereal or oatmeal kind of person so this look awsome, bright and fresh-looking.

I grew up thinking that both vegetables and breakfast needed to be cooked and served warm. So I've never really gotten myself to like cold cereal and milk, and in fact prefer microwaved "regular" leftovers for breakfast - pizza, broccoli, you name it. This isn't always practical, but I do try to make sure I get some protein, and hopefully some fruits or veggies as well. I find that I have more energy during the day if I treat breakfast just like lunch and dinner, rather than the carb-and-sugar-fest that American breakfasts tend to be.

That said, I love love LOVE Middle Eastern chopped salad. I could eat it morning, noon, and night, if only those dratted tomatoes and cucumbers would stay in season all year long. ;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You are so lucky to be in Washington state for apples. Sweetangos: best hybird ever. Lady Alice/Ambrosia (I think Pink Lady is part of their ancestry) not far behind. :biggrin:

I love it! My father-in-law used to work as a manager for one of the apple packing houses and he always had access to free apples during harvest! My family loves my in-laws because they send a whole box of HUGE apples for Christmas, much better than what they can get at the grocery stores in Kentucky.

Washington state also grows peaches and cherries. Summer is a pretty awesome time to live here, fruit wise. :)

mnm464

On the Ice
Thank you again for all the replies and conversations going about! I have been off GS for a little, so I didn't get these until just now. My parents went back home and I was at a friends house(completely Chinese-might as well be in China, the way they live-which I love, but it is different.) and I brought some of my lentil ragout, wraps, spinach, fruit, and some CLIF bars and fruit ropes for school. While I was there, they served Chinese food one night and I couldn't help, but try just a bit(I really like good Chinese meat/food that is really authentic). It was enjoyable, but the next day I was far more tired than I had been eating my vegetarian food(cream cheese, spinach, egg wrap;racout; fruit; more eggs). I think that I just got so used to eating vegetables and the like that switching back, even for one meal, really set me off. Just an experience that I might share.

I have been drinking milk and eating cheese and eggs. It is one of the ways to get a substantial amount of protein. Like I said, wraps with eggs and spinach(source of protein, iron, and carbs) for breakfast, and lotss of salad and fruit!

Fuzzymarmot and dorispulaski-I have enjoyed cooking for myself and enjoy other cultural food. I've recently found that there are quite a lot of vegetarian-friendly dishes in the Chinese cuisine. In the vegetarian diet, I think that spices are a must for flavoring. Before, I used to use bouillion cubes, but since those use beef/chicken flavoring, I haven't used them. In replacement, I use a lot of ginger and chili(the Chinese version) sauce. About your warning, so far I have just been trying to eat really really clean! I think that is the best way to avoid the unnatural junk. Also, thank you for the links!

Skatefiguring-Yes, I have felt some changes, but none have been bad. Not sure if this is strange, but I never felt a dip in energy, only a rise. Perhaps this is bc I wasn't really eating a whole lot of meat before I made the actual decision to be vegetarian.

I think the rest of the posts contribute to the users above comments, but if I didn't reply, I read your comment and am appreciative!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Rather than bouillion cubes, I think I would buy a pack of screw top jars and make your own veggie bouillion, and store in the frige for use in cooking for the week rather than using veggie bouillion or broth from the store.

As a non vegetarian, I make my own chicken and beef broth to avoid excess salt, phosohorus and potassium that manufacturers add, primarily as preservatives and flavor enhancers, and which are not well documented on labels. There is very little protein in the broth I make, but it is not vegetaian. If anything, I find commercial vegetarian broths have more rather than less of this crap than meat broths in the attempt to make veggie broth taste like meat broth :rolleye: The reason I mention this in a vegetarian thread is that I can't vouch for the following recipe. but is rated five stars:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/basic-vegetable-stock-recipe.html

I am not fond of rosemary. I would add fresh parsley instead. And I like browned, chopped portabello mushrooms in broth.

I like that the recipe has variation, based on what fresh vegetables are available.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Skatefiguring-Yes, I have felt some changes, but none have been bad. Not sure if this is strange, but I never felt a dip in energy, only a rise. Perhaps this is bc I wasn't really eating a whole lot of meat before I made the actual decision to be vegetarian.
!

When you get more nutrients from natural plant foods, you will of course feel more energetic. That's encouraging. Detox happens via breaths, perspiration and sometimes skin rashes or breakouts.

I mentioned healing crises because they may occur with someone with chronic illness(es) and/or a lot of stored toxins in the body. It is a longer process for such a person to return to good health, with what may seem like setbacks along the way. But s/he will still feel a general sense of improvement and the occasional discomforts are temporary and it will be wise to stay the course.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is wise to stay the course, but I would still get and keep a doctor involved in case to avoid ignoring problems that could well prove very injurious.

Icey

Record Breaker
Is it possible?I thought I heard that Alyssa Czisny was a vegetarian and that was how she got injured at a point in time? I am probably heard it wrong(name or something)... but I think you get the point. On Instagram, there is a girl that is a really strong ballet dancer and she is very healthy it seems.
https://instagram.com/julietdoherty
Comments and thoughts appreciated!

Her name is ALISSA

According to the dictionary:a person who does not eat or use animal products.
"I'm a strict vegan"

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Her name is ALISSA

According to the dictionary:a person who does not eat or use animal products.
"I'm a strict vegan"

As has been pointed out, vegan ice cream is all over these days. For some reason, my little city has a world (and I mean world) class vegan bakery, one that supplies all the hipster Brooklyn eateries, and their vegan soft-serve is to die for. Check it out, chocolate and salted caramel. :)
http://vegantreats.com

Also proves that it is perfectly possible to gain weight on a vegan or vegetarian diet.:laugh2:

mnm464

On the Ice
Rather than bouillion cubes, I think I would buy a pack of screw top jars and make your own veggie bouillion, and store in the frige for use in cooking for the week rather than using veggie bouillion or broth from the store.

As a non vegetarian, I make my own chicken and beef broth to avoid excess salt, phosohorus and potassium that manufacturers add, primarily as preservatives and flavor enhancers, and which are not well documented on labels. There is very little protein in the broth I make, but it is not vegetaian. If anything, I find commercial vegetarian broths have more rather than less of this crap than meat broths in the attempt to make veggie broth taste like meat broth :rolleye: The reason I mention this in a vegetarian thread is that I can't vouch for the following recipe. but is rated five stars:

I am not fond of rosemary. I would add fresh parsley instead. And I like browned, chopped portabello mushrooms in broth.

I like that the recipe has variation, based on what fresh vegetables are available.

When you get more nutrients from natural plant foods, you will of course feel more energetic. That's encouraging. Detox happens via breaths, perspiration and sometimes skin rashes or breakouts.

I mentioned healing crises because they may occur with someone with chronic illness(es) and/or a lot of stored toxins in the body. It is a longer process for such a person to return to good health, with what may seem like setbacks along the way. But s/he will still feel a general sense of improvement and the occasional discomforts are temporary and it will be wise to stay the course.

There's tons of vegan ice cream on the market and lots of recipes. The one that's really trendy is one made with frozen bananas: http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Vegan-Ice-Cream-Made-Bananas-24660104

As has been pointed out, vegan ice cream is all over these days. For some reason, my little city has a world (and I mean world) class vegan bakery, one that supplies all the hipster Brooklyn eateries, and their vegan soft-serve is to die for. Check it out, chocolate and salted caramel. :)
http://vegantreats.com

Also proves that it is perfectly possible to gain weight on a vegan or vegetarian diet.:laugh2:

I was going to make my own this next weekend! Thanks for the recipe! Also, my skin has felt a little oily(esp. for harsh Michigan winter so far), but that seems to be normal. Thank you for the input; it's great, as always! I think the vegan ice cream with the banana is called nice cream. I thought about it today as I was mashing banana into my morning yogurt for the morning!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I have been vegetarian my whole life and skated competitively for 10 years. I never sensed much a difference between what me and my competitors and peers ate--figure skaters diets are not meat heavy on a rule. Granola bars, nuts as light snacks throughout the day, sometimes cheese, apples, bananas. Sure a few of my training mates went to McDonalds or Taco Bell ilke any other high school student, but "training diets" are not really meat. As others have mentioned, quiona, beans, soy , chickpeas are all great sources of protein, I never had any issue with muscle mass.

fuzzymarmot

Rinkside

I agree fully about avoiding store-bought bouillion for the exact reasons you gave, but to be honest I think that making broth or bouillion or stock is one of those areas where the straight-up veggie adaptation of the meat-centered item often results in a more time-consuming and less satisfying result. Making meat broth makes sense: the meat comes out tasty, and you get good use (and nutrients) out of the otherwise useless bones. I personally have never been a huge fan of making veggie broth the same way, mainly because I feel like you're just wasting the vegetables. If I'm going to roast a pan full of veggies in olive oil (delicious), I want to eat them right when they come out of the oven rather than boil them until they're dead.

So here are some things I like to do for veggie soups:

1) If the broth is the star of the show (like in matzo ball soup), I like to sautee some combination of garlic, ginger, mushrooms (reconstituted dried shiitakes are convenient, but fresh are great), and chiles (either fresh or dried) in olive oil in the bottom of a stockpot, along with some combination of carrots, celery, and onions (or whatever's in the fridge), and then add water and salt and pepper and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. The short cooking time means the other veggies are still tasty, but the broth itself is flavorful because the shiitake, ginger, and chile flavors are so strong. (For matzo ball soup, I remove the veggies before adding the matzo balls so they don't get overcooked, then add them back in at the end.)

2) If the broth is not the star in and of itself, but I'd still like some more body to the soup, I'll use either leftover chickpea cooking water (hey, I was making chickpeas anyway so why not save the liquid) or kombu dashi. Kombu is a dried seaweed you can find in Japanese grocery stores, and making dashi (broth) is as simple as either letting it sit in cold water for a day, or near-boiling water for about 10-15 minutes. The dashi doesn't taste like much in and of itself, but it enhances the flavor of other ingredients (and also helps beans break down and cook faster). I like using dashi for Asian noodle soups and chickpea cooking liquid for one-vegetable soups like cauliflower soup or cabbage soup.

3) If I'm making a full-bodied, full-flavored stew like chili or pumpkin stew, I really don't need to start with broth or stock; I just use water (and maybe some wine, depending on the soup). A lot of recipes that call for stock or broth taste just fine when made with water.

4) The world's easiest broth is miso soup. You can now buy little tubs of miso at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, not just Japanese groceries. They keep in the fridge for months. Just scoop out a tablespoon or so, add it to a cup of hot water, and stir. If you like, you can cook it on the stove and add other ingredients to make it more of a meal (tofu, noodles, veggies, seaweed), but you can also just drink it in a mug like tea.

I should also add that I'm allergic to soy, which is why I don't eat miso the way I used to (it's made from fermented soybeans) and also don't use soy sauce in Chinese cooking (yeah, I know, what kind of a Chinese am I), but a bit of soy sauce goes well in all of the above options. And you can put ginger in the kombu dashi, or kombu in any of the stocks - the mix and match is completely up to you. Anyway, just thought I'd throw these suggestions out there, in case the long cooking time of the Food Network recipe scared anyone off. It can be made to work in a busy schedule if that's what you crave (make a lot at once on a weekend, reduce it, and freeze it), but I just wanted to share some quicker weekday options that don't need to be made in advance.

Last edited:

fuzzymarmot

Rinkside
Thank you again for all the replies and conversations going about! I have been off GS for a little, so I didn't get these until just now. My parents went back home and I was at a friends house(completely Chinese-might as well be in China, the way they live-which I love, but it is different.) and I brought some of my lentil ragout, wraps, spinach, fruit, and some CLIF bars and fruit ropes for school. While I was there, they served Chinese food one night and I couldn't help, but try just a bit(I really like good Chinese meat/food that is really authentic). It was enjoyable, but the next day I was far more tired than I had been eating my vegetarian food(cream cheese, spinach, egg wrap;racout; fruit; more eggs). I think that I just got so used to eating vegetables and the like that switching back, even for one meal, really set me off. Just an experience that I might share.

I have been drinking milk and eating cheese and eggs. It is one of the ways to get a substantial amount of protein. Like I said, wraps with eggs and spinach(source of protein, iron, and carbs) for breakfast, and lotss of salad and fruit!

Fuzzymarmot and dorispulaski-I have enjoyed cooking for myself and enjoy other cultural food. I've recently found that there are quite a lot of vegetarian-friendly dishes in the Chinese cuisine. In the vegetarian diet, I think that spices are a must for flavoring. Before, I used to use bouillion cubes, but since those use beef/chicken flavoring, I haven't used them. In replacement, I use a lot of ginger and chili(the Chinese version) sauce. About your warning, so far I have just been trying to eat really really clean! I think that is the best way to avoid the unnatural junk. Also, thank you for the links!

I think the rest of the posts contribute to the users above comments, but if I didn't reply, I read your comment and am appreciative!

Sounds delicious and healthy, mnm464! I'm glad you're doing well and feeling well!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thank you so much for the veggie broth suggestions! I do something like that for pea soup.

Do any of you have a good recipe for hummus? I have a recipe, but it is definitely second rate.

Also, do any of you know how to make pitas?

fuzzymarmot

Rinkside
I really think the secret is starting with cooked dried chickpeas rather than canned. I always cook an entire 1 pound bag of chickpeas all at once, and then use the chickpeas and chickpea cooking liquid throughout the next week or two in various recipes (hummus, chickpea salad, roasted chickpeas, soups).

Soak the chickpeas in cold water in the morning (they'll absorb a lot of water, so make sure you add enough). When you come back in the evening about 8 hours later, change the water, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30-45 minutes until they taste done, adding salt towards the end. (I'm not sure whether the timing of the salt matters, but that's what my first cookbook taught so that's now my habit.) Hint: Older chickpeas that have been sitting in your pantry for a year will take longer to cook and might not taste as good. Try different brands and different grocery stores to find the beans that you feel are the freshest.

When you have the fully cooked chickpeas, throw some in a blender or food processor along with freshly juiced lemon juice, olive oil, salt to taste, and enough chickpea cooking liquid to get the consistency you want. Optional add-ins are tahini, a clove of raw garlic, roasted garlic, lemon zest if you actually remembered to zest before squeezing the lemon juice, fresh herbs such as parsley or cilantro, and spices such as cumin or paprika. Whatever suits your mood and happens to be in the fridge or pantry.

I use Mark Bittman's recipe as a starting point, but I always halve the tahini, usually end up increasing the lemon and olive oil, and sometimes omit the garlic. So I almost always go through cycles of blending the ingredients, then tasting, then throwing in more of this or that until I'm happy. :)
http://markbittman.com/recipe/hummus/

mnm464

On the Ice
A week and a halfish after:

First of all, thank you for all the comments again! Especially the no meat athlete website! It has been so helpful! Now, to the actual topic...I have been feeling really great and, whether this is a direct correlation or not, I have had such a jump in my skating(landed 3sal combo and 3 loop combos the past couple weeks :D sorry just had to say it, I'm excited!) I've felt better health wise(i.e. anemia issue-gone) and have had more energy. I am not sure if this is related to the vegetarianism, but the past 3 days before today, I was totally exhausted: I couldn't wake up and I was so tired and bleh I didn't skate or attend school. This was accompanied by a headache...Honestly, I know this sounds bad, but I didn't go to the doctor-We scheduled an appt. but I felt better by the time they could schedule soonest. I am feeling good now though...just thought I would update you all! Thanks so much again!