2015 Japan Open | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2015 Japan Open

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Give Mr. Uno a more reasonable GOE for all of his jumps

Write down your GOE scores for all of his jumps and we can talk about it.

And Miss Miyahara being lovely does not change the fact that some of her jumps still look very questionable. 71 TES is another joke.

I would have scored her at 69 TES, which includes a < call for the second 3Lutz. 71 is surprisingly close, as these things ago. I would hope the jumps are scrutinized, yes, but I do see some improvements, so let's not crucify her.

kimganos

On the Ice
It's been a long time since I've seen PChan skate. I knew rationally he had the best SS basically ever, but I had forgotten just how mesmerizing his skating is. He still doesn't seem particularly expressive or musical, but it really doesn't matter much when he can skate like he does. If Javi is getting high 8s and low 9s for SS, Patrick should be getting 11s. It's the same old, same old from Javi, but I still really enjoy watching his program. He's adorable.

:agree: and that step sequence!:jaw:

Last edited:

wah4us

Rinkside
Mr Uno is a good person or not, it doesn't change the fact that his jumps don't deserve the GOE he is getting. And this way of overscoring, inflation is unfair for all the men. They might not be consistent, but they also spent years to get the quality on their jumps, but some judges decide that their quality does not matter because there's someone with very bad jumps but is consistent.

More like I am worried about the state of men skating in general. I do share my sympathy with Mr Mishin when he complained about Mr. Uno's jump technique.

But of course, some fans will alway try to give credit for their favorites even though the credit is not due.

Newsflash, these are your opinions. You are not any smarter than anyone else in this thread and your opinions hold no more weight than anyone else. Stop talking like you are God speaking. And the Mr and Ms thing doesn't make you come across any less condescending and nasty, it makes it worse.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I actually agree what he said about Uno. Uno has the presentation skills beyond his age but his jumps are very unusual in a bad way: little or now free leg extension; he has extreme knee bend with his already very short legs. Sometimes I feel he could land on his knee and then bounce back. He is almost 18 and he is 157cm?

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/846728

Mr Mishin:

1) Most skaters are not in form yet.
2) All judges were too generous especially, no UR no edge call.
3) Mr Fernandez's jumping quality is good in general.
4) Mr Uno did the best at JO but should have not gotten that huge gap. Mr Uno has very questionable technique and his landing was too awkward. And Mr Mishin thinks that, this seems to be the highest limit of Mr Uno.
5) Mr Mishin is saying the preparation for Liza is ok to the plan.
6) Japan open is a PR event solely for announcing Miss Asada's come back, for hyping Mr Uno and showing support for Miss Miyahara.

rite of spring

Rinkside

Mr Mishin:

4) Mr Uno did the best at JO but should have not gotten that huge gap. Mr Uno has very questionable technique and his landing was too awkward. And Mr Mishin thinks that, this seems to be the highest limit of Mr Uno.
6) Japan open is a PR event solely for announcing Miss Asada's come back, for hyping Mr Uno and showing support for Miss Miyahara.
So typical of him :laugh:, but it's nice to see how much he is committed to his students.

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
The problem now with Liza's 3A and the reason it look unappealing is because she holds the first edge WAY too long. Like she didn't hold it that long at WTT or Worlds, but that's the issue here.

begin

Medalist
Newsflash, these are your opinions. You are not any smarter than anyone else in this thread and your opinions hold no more weight than anyone else. Stop talking like you are God speaking. And the Mr and Ms thing doesn't make you come across any less condescending and nasty, it makes it worse.

English may not be his/her first language. If we could be a little more forgiving about people's wording then maybe threads will stop derailing so much.

Khoai: I agree Shoma's scores are rather high but it hasn't affected any other skaters at this point so why get worked up? We're talking about a for-TV competition that has no bearings on the competitive season. Even if these scores are a part of an inflation trend, it's not like anyone is losing a medal (yet).

And I must point out that your need to bring nationality into the discussion is both unnecessary and misleading. I haven't seen anyone that feels the JSF behaves underhandedly in my experience with the international skating community. In fact more people seem to feel many worthy and notable Japanese skaters have been unfairly held down. Keep in mind that a lot of skaters get inflated scores for reasons outside of where they come from (Yuna Kim, anyone?)

Last edited:

begin

Medalist
The problem now with Liza's 3A and the reason it look unappealing is because she holds the first edge WAY too long. Like she didn't hold it that long at WTT or Worlds, but that's the issue here.

That might just be her nerves at this specific competition. I agree though that Liza's general entrance into the jump isn't the best (she holds out her leg an awful lot).

gotoschool

Medalist

Mr Mishin:

I think Mishin should show more respect for the integrity of the event and Mao's performance than referring to it as solely a PR campaign for her return. He is representing Liza after all, who was considerate in her comments to Mao, so I think he should be more gracious and diplomatic in his, in the name of good sportsmanship and so it doesn't reflect badly on Liza. Or better yet, don't say anything at all.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
True points, but there is more to it than this. Like exposure for all the skaters in a country that actually cares about the sport. Plus the whole prize money thing. :p

Was Mishin not aware of this before he sent Liza to Japan? "OMG, I didn't know this was a non-official, probably inflated, PR event for the return of Mao...totally shocked?" I don't think so. Japan Open has been going on for years in this way and the scores don't count in any official records. If Liza had landed her 3A and other jumps well, he'd be singing a different tune for sure. I don't think he's wrong to say this stuff, promoting his own skaters etc...but you can't really take him seriously.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All this back and forth is putting a damper on Mao's return IMO. Judging by the way the skaters interact so respectful and nice with each other I'm often left wondering why it has such little impact on the fans.

It's just my opinion but Japan Open seems more like a fun event but not to be taken so seriously.

I think Satoko's jumps look better with the only exception being the 3-2-2 which was basically a group of quick bunny hops. Hopefully she can work on that because it's not a highlight of her program even though the crowd seemed to appreciate it quite a bit :cool: Her program is so nice and she delivers it with almost a delicate precision. Not very difficult really but the focus is clearly on the music. I think the music and choreo are matched to near perfection. This may be the most enjoyable program this season for the ladies.

I am not be a fan of uber dramatic facial expressions but you gotta give it to Mao and Satoko for going all in when it comes time for it. I don't think anyone is doing uber dramatic better than these to right now :points:

All I've had time to see is Mao and Satoko so that's all I can speak of ;) I've got a few days off coming up and I'm hoping to do some jumpamatrons soon for anyone who likes that type of thing :popcorn:

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I think Mishin should show more respect for the integrity of the event and Mao's performance than referring to it as solely a PR campaign for her return. It is insulting. It's interesting that he offers not one positive words for Mao's performance, though he offers some for both Shoma Uno and Javier Fernandez. He is representing Liza after all, who was considerate in her comments to Mao, so I think he should be more gracious and diplomatic in his, in the name of good sportsmanship and so it doesn't reflect badly on Liza. Or better yet, don't say anything at all.

It wouldn't have been Mishin if he had given out too many compliments for skaters who are not coached by him, specially skaters who are direct competitors to his own. If Plushy had decided to compete this season, perhaps he wouldn't have said anything (positive at least) about Shoma and Javier.
Chill out, people. It's only one competition that doesn't really count for anything. We can't set a trend based on this. Who knows if these high scores for Shoma will carry out for the rest of the season (Unoflation? Really?), or if Javier will get a +1 by a judge on a fall again (I adore him but what was that?). Or that Gracie and Ashley are doomed for the season and so on. This is just the first one.

minze

Medalist
I think Mishin should show more respect for the integrity of the event and Mao's performance than referring to it as solely a PR campaign for her return. It is insulting. It's interesting that he offers not one positive words for Mao's performance, though he offers some for both Shoma Uno and Javier Fernandez. He is representing Liza after all, who was considerate in her comments to Mao, so I think he should be more gracious and diplomatic in his, in the name of good sportsmanship and so it doesn't reflect badly on Liza. Or better yet, don't say anything at all.

He is politicking. I respect his legacy as a coach, but I have no respect for his disrespectful comments about other skaters

minze

Medalist
True points, but there is more to it than this. Like exposure for all the skaters in a country that actually cares about the sport. Plus the whole prize money thing. :p

So why did he send Liza to the event?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Was Mishin not aware of this before he sent Liza to Japan? "OMG, I didn't know this was a non-official, probably inflated, PR event for the return of Mao...totally shocked?" I don't think so. Japan Open has been going on for years in this way and the scores don't count in any official records. If Liza had landed her 3A and other jumps well, he'd be singing a different tune for sure. I don't think he's wrong to say this stuff, promoting his own skaters etc...but you can't really take him seriously.

I completely agree that Mishin should be aware of what JO is all about and what to expect from it. At the same time I'm compelled to suggest that we should extend the same courtesy when it comes to what to expect from Mishin :p

Last edited:

MIM

Medalist
It was a really good event. When I was reading posts here last night, it seemed dreadful except for Mao and Satoko. But, after watching all skaters, I am pleasantly surprised by most of the skaters.

Mao: :bow::points::bow:
I think Mao finally met her master piece. (I personally think Mao's two olympic LPs are both great performances but, not great programs.)
SPEECHLESS. She was a DREAM. 4 min went by so fast. This year can be an epoch of her skating career.

Satoko: With or without her tiny jumps (TBH I cannot tell UR/Pre-R without slow-mo), her skating and posture is just AMAZING. Her costume can be a different color, but the design actually helps her upper body movements look more elongated and elegant. She is so poised.

Adelina: I am a convert, too. I was not her fan, but now I am. She is one of my favorite Russian girls with great artistry. She is powerful and theatrical, which I hardly fall for unless executed in a very high quality. I am happy that she made me believe in her at this event.

Liza: I am not worried about her jumps. She will pick them up as the season goes. The program was way better than I expected(always better seen than heard). Even though she had a fall on 3A(come on, it is the most difficult jump, even Mao battles her entire career to master) and did 3T-2T, her lutzes and other jumps were beautiful, her steps were as good as in Euro, and her spins got improved. She is in a good shape! Unfortunately, she was not stellar here because Mao and Satoko excelled what Liza lacks while they have similar TES. (I know the PCS does not reflect that.)

Gracie: She has a remarkable choreography, among the best if not the best. Gorgeous costume. Watching TSL run-through clip, I was amazed that Lori did a wonderful job hiding her weakness and bringing her strength up. She was a definite medal contender to me. However, the competition nerves kicked in and she got stiff, then hindered the flow. Is she going other challenge cups? I think she needs couple more...

Liza and Gracie: they both have very limited upper body dance moves. Liza only moves elbow to finger; Gracie only wrist. Their back and shoulders stand still when needed. And it was apparent compared to Mao, Satoko, and Adelina.

I am a big fan of Liza and her redemption. I still believe in her talent and strong will. Last year, her priority was getting consistency back and adding 3A, which was enough to win her WG. This year, she needs to put some good efforts to build nice posture and skating skill to be well-rounded. So, she does not need to limit herself only in a unique style. I know it is not easy especially with her team. But, doesn't Mao inspire them by correcting her lutz edges this late of time in her age/career?

Ashley: Sigh... last season, she was refreshing as the only matured skater competing with young Russian skaters. This year when Mao/Adelina come back and Satoko improves, I cannot help but feel how empty her program is. She really needs to up her game. She is neither refreshing nor more artistic any longer. I am sorry she did not know this was coming. Maybe she can switch her Samba for LP and Moulin Rouge for SP?

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Ashley: Sigh... last season, she was refreshing as the only matured skater competing with young Russian skaters. This year when Mao/Adelina come back and Satoko improves, I cannot help but feel how empty her program is. She really needs to up her game. She is neither refreshing nor more artistic any longer. I am sorry she did not know this was coming. Maybe she can switch her Samba for LP and Moulin Rouge for SP?

I actually think that would be a good idea, the LP is not refreshing anymore, it might have had to do with how she was a mature skater against the rest of the field but now we've got big names coming back. There's not much time so I don't know how feasible it would be but I'd rather not see Moulin Rouge again as a LP