Chan voices his opinion in quad quarrel | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Chan voices his opinion in quad quarrel

ranran

Zamboni time
On the Ice
It's not a pity party. I'm not telling you approve of Patrick's comments or persuading you to believe he's a victim. I just don't think he's unprovoked when specifically bring up Yuzu. And seriously? Not every 'skating expert' thinks Hanyu is the greatest at everything.

Yuzuru is respectful because that's expected of him from the Japanese audiences. No reason to hold everyone to those standards.

No it is not expected. It is common sense and gracious attitude. You don't talk bad about other people, you just make sure you do your own job well this is what often practiced in Asian culture including my country.

That is why I would love Patrick to stop panicking and find excuses of thumping his rival and just focus on his forte. His skating is beautiful so I wish he will stop souring it with his often "misinterpreted" comments.

With that said I'm just going to ignore his press comments as usual and looking forward to his skating and others at world.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I agree that Jin's technical skills have motivated skaters like Yuzu to bring their A game to events like NHK and GPF. However, the rest of his skating is so painfully mediocre. Compare Boyang to Nathan Chen and tell me who you honestly think has a more promising future?
Yuzuru had decided to go for 2 quad SP right after he messed up his SP at Skate Canada and ended up 6th, he had that option long before the season started but Orser took a more cautious approach as Orser himself said in aa recent interview. As for 3 quads LP he already planned it last season. So I don't think Yuzuru goes for more quads because of Jin. Going for more quads has always his plan right after Sochi.

Last edited:

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Yuzuru had decided to go for 2 quad SP right after he messed up his SP at Skate Canada and ended up 6th, he had that option long before the season started but Orser took a more cautious approach as Orser himself said in aa recent interview. As for 3 quads LP he already planned it last season. So I don't think Yuzuru goes for more quads because of Jin. Going for more quads has always his plan right after Sochi.

Perhaps "motivated" was the wrong word. Correct me if I am wrong, Yuzu did mention in one of his interviews that Boyang's performance at NHK Trophy fired him up to bring out his best.

begin

Medalist
No it is not expected. It is common sense and gracious attitude. You don't talk bad about other people, you just make sure you do your own job well this is what often practiced in Asian culture including my country.

That is why I would love Patrick to stop panicking and find excuses of thumping his rival and just focus on his forte. His skating is beautiful so I wish he will stop souring it with his often "misinterpreted" comments.

With that said I'm just going to ignore his press comments as usual and looking forward to his skating and others at world.

So exactly what I meant when I said 'expected'. The point is that 'common sense' in Japan is not necessarily common sense everywhere else in the world.

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
I agree that Jin's technical skills have motivated skaters like Yuzu to bring their A game to events like NHK and GPF. However, the rest of his skating is so painfully mediocre. Compare Boyang to Nathan Chen and tell me who you honestly think has a more promising future?

It makes more sense to compare Jin with Nathan Chen rather than with the top guys. Who will have a more promising future would be an interesting discussion but I think that's a separate thread and I don't want to derail this one.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't really mind what Patrick is saying TBH. For one I think he believes what he is saying. I don't agree with him and actually wish PCS scores played far less role in the final standings then they do but that doesn't mean I don't see his point and even respect it.

Secondly...Patrick is just politicking for himself which doesn't bother me at all. He's just making a case for himself. I suspect a lot of people would agree with him.

ranran

Zamboni time
On the Ice
So exactly what I meant when I said 'expected'. The point is that 'common sense' in Japan is not necessarily common sense everywhere else in the world.

Sorry I interpreted it as in "expected = he had to do it or else he rather won't" rather than he did it because he was taught it's a good attitude. Yes. It is not necessarily common sense everywhere else in the world but there is no harm in learning to be positive and gracious towards others.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I don't really mind what Patrick is saying TBH. For one I think he believes what he is saying. I don't agree with him and actually wish PCS scores played far less role in the final standings then they do but that doesn't mean I don't see his point and even respect it.

Secondly...Patrick is just politicking for himself which doesn't bother me at all. He's just making a case for himself. I suspect a lot of people would agree with him.

yeah, I don't think he says it with malice or because he doesn't appreciate his fellow competitors, it's just the way he thinks.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thank you for a balanced and level-headed explanation of what Chan was talking about. However:

So he is in fact saying that the 3-quad program is a little ridiculous. -However, he's not above training the quad sal and putting it in his program in later seasons.
Whether what Chan said was respectful or not is beside the point, and he does have a voice in the sport as one of the leading men. But he is being inconsistent in his statements.

Let's look at the text:
"It's getting a little ridiculous. It's like the slam dunk contest, that's what it's becoming," Chan said. "I will be dead honest, I think with my experience and credibility at this point, I can say already with the men doing three quads, the quality of skating is diminished."

He didn't say 3-quad programs are ridiculous but the quality of skating is diminished, I suppose relative to a 1 or 2 quad program. His coach says he lands 4S regularly at practice, I estimate for maybe 3 years now including his time off, but they don't want to rush to add it until they can include it without reducing his performance showcasing his skating skills. I think this says he is principled and true to his values.

What is ridiculous is the slam dunk contest of the more quads the better, which we have seen happening with young ones without supporting skating skills and performing artistry. So if I agree with him, I would say high level skaters like Yuzuru and Javi are capable of doing 3 quad LP well but with lower program quality than if they do fewer quads. But if they were to do 4 quads in a program, the quality will definitely be sacrificed just from the time issue alone. So Patrick will not do a 4 quad program himself but will do a 3-quad one when he can do it without sacrificing program quality. His 4S is ready but he has been very patient to get himself ready.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Let's look at the text:

He didn't say 3-quad programs are ridiculous but the quality of skating is diminished, I suppose relative to a 1 or 2 quad program. His coach says he lands 4S regularly at practice, I estimate for maybe 3 years now including his time off, but they don't want to rush to add it until they can include it without reducing his performance showcasing his skating skills. I think this says he is principled and true to his values.

What is ridiculous is the slam dunk contest of the more quads the better, which we have seen happening with young ones without supporting skating skills and performing artistry. So if I agree with him, I would say high level skaters like Yuzuru and Javi are capable of doing 3 quad LP well but with lower program quality than if they do fewer quads. But if they were to do 4 quads in a program, the quality will definitely be sacrificed just from the time issue alone. So Patrick will not do a 4 quad program himself but will do a 3-quad one when he can do it without sacrificing program quality. His 4S is ready but he has been very patient to get himself ready.

not necessarily. It was only after Yuzu added difficulty to his programs that he did it clean and with better quality than ever before.
Who is to say that Patrick's own skating quality has diminished because of the quads he put in his program?
There isn't really any way to tell is there?
It can be fine to say that if Patrick himself tried 3 quads the quality of his skating would be diminished...he can tell cause it's his own body and his own training. No one knows it better than him.

But his credibility does not extend to 'knowing' that other people's quality of skating is diminished as they add difficulty. Fernandez and Yuzu actually skated better than ever at the GPF WITH their added difficulty.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I agree with Patrick! At the way it's going, why not just have a jumping contest.

Im mkre worried about the longevity of skaters. You cant do multiple quads forever without facing some sort of life long injury.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Im mkre worried about the longevity of skaters. You cant do multiple quads forever without facing some sort of life long injury.

See, that's what I'm curious about. I know in ballet and dance in general, there's a similar issue going around with technique increasing quickly and therefore the health of dancers is *having* to be more of a priority or else no one's bodies will last. The dance community is really improving their views on health, nutrition, and injury prevention, and it's a really good thing (aka it's about time). Have any medical studies been done on figure skaters for matters like this? I too am worried about increased injury, but if everyone is that worried about, there needs to be actual research done on it, and then in several years with more data, better decisions can be made. Is anyone conducting medical research at all about skaters right now, including on quads?

tzazu

Medalist

I'm not Japanesse, nor asiatic; I'm European, and in this part of the world, is common sense don't talk bad about other people or belitte others work and so you look better (maybe politcians yes?:scratch2:). At least in my country, it's a very bad taste manner:coffee:

eta

Medalist
It's not a pity party. I'm not telling you approve of Patrick's comments or persuading you to believe he's a victim. I just don't think he's unprovoked when specifically bring up Yuzu. And seriously? Not every 'skating expert' thinks Hanyu is the greatest at everything.

Yuzuru is respectful because that's expected of him from the Japanese audiences. No reason to hold everyone to those standards.

I'm pretty sure he is respectful because of good upbringing. Unless being respectful is only expected in certain parts of the world?

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I have no words for him really, this is so much alike 2013-2014 season when he "let Yuzu win GPF".
Karma will wait for you in the corner again Patrick, be careful with your mouth.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure he is respectful because of good upbringing. Unless being respectful is only expected in certain parts of the world?

I think respect is taught and then can become a part of a person's nature. -it can be influenced by where you are born, certainly, but it's not confined to your native culture.

There are plenty of rude people in Japan, for instance.
When looking at skaters from various places in the world those who are polite and show marked respect to their rivals include
Vornov, Nam, Fernandez, Jason, Max, Yuzu, Takahashi, Denis, Misha and many more. Politeness crosses the cultural divide and has more to do with their personalities than their nationality.

Patrick is completely free to promote himself and his considerable skills at the expense of his rivals, if that is his nature then he is only being true to it. But fans of said rivals are also reacting perfectly naturally to when they disagree with his views.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Seems to agree with me that Hanyu has no transitions in his long program, if hanyu had to do the footwork chan does he would barely be able the land a second quad

Put glasses on because you have clear problems with your eyes. Hanyu is doing transitions to all of his quads. It's Chan who does NOTHING to his quads, just slides with basic setup. :disapp:

Last edited:

amanuenssi

Rinkside
Oh, come on! Isn't it a standard for every human being to be respectful to each other, and before all for an athlete, who is a role model to junior athletes and fans. And I haven't seen a single picture or video at backstage or at the airport etc. where Yuzuru would behave unpolitely or look cross or be in a bad humor.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
This interview is a bit like the continuation from the after-worlds-2015 one, when he basically said Yuzu and Javi were mainly jumps and little else. Now their skating quality has diminished, okay then.

Thing is, Patrick is allowed to think they're not artists or whatever if that is his opinion, but IMO, he's only hampering himself with this mindset. This is your closest competition, the guys you have to fight for gold, the guys you want to be competitive with (because last time they met they both beat him handily). It's way easier to be competitive with someone when you are actually acknowledging their strengths and potential, then when you try to overstate what you might see missing in them. It's that mindset that will be his biggest hindrance in pushing himself forward and improve himself, IMO.

louisa05

Final Flight
As a fan, what exactly does a quad do for you? Why is it so exciting? Men have been doing 3As for a long time. How is an extra half revolution giving so much meaning to your life and/or skating that we must throw the adjective "quadless" (which is not really a word) around like it is equivalent to "leper" in ancient times or maybe "racist" in modern times? What is the attraction?

Frankly, when I watch live, I can't tell a quad from a triple if it is on the other side of the rink.