Skaters who didn't hit the 'pinnacle' | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Skaters who didn't hit the 'pinnacle'

mrrice

Record Breaker
That's actually kind of cool. I like Zhenya- Bear. I think someone with a talent for toy making should whip up a cute one for all her fans to throw at events.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
After her performance in Taipei today, can we add Gracie Gold to this list, given her lapses in jumping passes and her inability to step it up in major competitions ...:slink:

Last edited:

thegreendestiny

On the Ice
Let's face it, Gracie Gold was never the skater everybody here hyped up. She's already getting old and has not won anything significant. Younger and stronger skaters are coming in and she will be forgotten in the next two seasons. She can't even win against a perennial runner-up like Satoko.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Does Stephanie Rosenthal qualify for this category? I remember she made a big splash in 2006 and then disappeared into thin air. I think she was from Utah. I'll have to check. Does anyone know what she's up to these days??

mrrice

Record Breaker
Let's face it, Gracie Gold was never the skater everybody here hyped up. She's already getting old and has not won anything significant. Younger and stronger skaters are coming in and she will be forgotten in the next two seasons. She can't even win against a perennial runner-up like Satoko.

Now let's not go overboard. She had rough SP for sure but she didn't win Nationals by accident. She skated a brilliant Long Program and was awarded accordingly.

Last edited:

donezo

On the Ice
All the talk about Naomi reminds me of another young skater who got Dick Button very excited in the late '90s - Tiffany Stiegler! I recently watched her and her brother's 1998 Nationals long program and was completely blown away. She really did have all the qualities of a young Katia Gordeeva. Unfortunately, she went through a huge growth spurt and got too tall to skate with her brother (or anyone else really). Such a shame. She had a brief comeback as an ice dancer in the mid-00s, but not much came of it. Her sister Stephanie was a very good pair skater too, but she disappeared after competing at 1997 Worlds with John Zimmerman before he teamed up with Kyoko Ina.

On the ice dance front, I always felt like Roca/Sur were treated very poorly domestically and internationally, and had tons of talent. I never understood why they didn't get better results outside of petty politics.

mrrice

Record Breaker
All the talk about Naomi reminds me of another young skater who got Dick Button very excited in the late '90s - Tiffany Stiegler! I recently watched her and her brother's 1998 Nationals long program and was completely blown away. She really did have all the qualities of a young Katia Gordeeva. Unfortunately, she went through a huge growth spurt and got too tall to skate with her brother (or anyone else really). Such a shame. She had a brief comeback as an ice dancer in the mid-00s, but not much came of it. Her sister Stephanie was a very good pair skater too, but she disappeared after competing at 1997 Worlds with John Zimmerman before he teamed up with Kyoko Ina.

On the ice dance front, I always felt like Roca/Sur were treated very poorly domestically and internationally, and had tons of talent. I never understood why they didn't get better results outside of petty politics.

I remember the Stiegler's from somewhere. In fact, it might have been the same Junior World event where I saw Ann Patrice for the first time. I'll have to check. BRB. That is where I saw them. Junior Worlds 2001.

Last edited:

donezo

On the Ice
I remember the Stiegler's from somewhere. In fact, it might have been the same Junior World event where I saw Ann Patrice for the first time. I'll have to check. BRB. That is where I saw them. Junior Worlds 2001.

I believe they missed Junior Worlds in 2001 after they withdrew from Nationals, but they went in 2002 for the last time. They had really stagnated by that point. Their twists and throws were quite poor because of Tiffany's height. But she had incredible skating skills, lines, extension, and performance quality. She probably should have just been an ice dancer to begin with.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I believe they missed Junior Worlds in 2001 after they withdrew from Nationals, but they went in 2002 for the last time. They had really stagnated by that point. Their twists and throws were quite poor because of Tiffany's height. But she had incredible skating skills, lines, extension, and performance quality. She probably should have just been an ice dancer to begin with.

Well, I wasn't at Worlds in 2002 so it must have been somewhere else. They were definitely juniors and all I really remember was him doing a giant fist pump at the end and she gave him a look like....Dude, chill. It was great.

noskates

Record Breaker
Would have to agree about Roca and Sur. His green card problems didn't help. If I'm not mistaken, he went on to become a lawyer? Renee Roca was choreographing for awhile but I haven't heard anything about her lately. I always thought their choreography was very interesting and they were well-paired

jeff goldblum

On the Ice
Is there a thread for skaters who did reach the pinnacle (won one or more major championships) but whose potential may not have been fully reached? Before the thread title was changed a few people put in their votes for Tara Lipinski, and I was initially thinking of similar types of skaters. All other issues aside, I always wonder where both Baiul and Kulik might have gone with their skating had they stayed in for another four years.

I will also add in my vote for Yukina Ota. She was one of my favorites, even when she performed poorly; I really wanted her to be the next Japanese star. Funny that she was eclipsed by Arakawa who had already been around for 6 or 7 years. To say she couldn't jump is a bit harsh, though. It definitely wasn't her strongest aspect, but we're not talking Natalie Krieg or Lucinda Ruh. The persistent injuries made certain she would never really master them, but you don't get to be Junior World Champion with no jumping ability.

noskates

Record Breaker
My opinion on Jeff's questions about Baiul and Kulik....I think Ilia would have been very successful because he had a great work ethic. He's still got big jumps and with his body type could have easily rotated quads successfully. I don't think he even came near to reaching his potential. Bauil on the other hand was on a downward spiral following her OGM. I never thought she had a support system and she did not have the work ethic. Money and fame were her undoing. I know the Petrenkos tried with her but she had her own mind and went off in life unfettered. It's a shame because she was talented. I always felt sorry for her in later years when she had put on weight and could barely land a triple toe. She still had the performance factor but her technical ability had gone by the wayside.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Back in the 90's, professional scene had great earning potential (like million-dollar tour contract). Of course OGMs wanted to capitalize on that. The average lifespan of a skating career isn't long, and they don't have big salaries like top tier professional sports to cushion a potential short career. So I don't necesarily blame Bauil for following the money, especially coming from a poor family (in her case, no family). She wasn't much different than any directionless teenagers with too much money and freedom, especially when both were obtained in a practically-overnight fashion.

Also, nowadays, skaters are not itching to leave Russia to flock to US/Canada compared to "back then". So either the economy (among other life factor) in their home countries has improve greatly, or the US is no longer the greener pastures as they once thought. Even Yagudin (who has been quoted to wanting US citizenship asap) went back to Russia. I think if Baiul was born a 15-20 years later, and is of the current crop of skaters, it's likely that her [post Olympic] career would have a more positive trajectory. I'm not sure what she's doing currently. She isn't coaching or commentating, nor does she have a job unrelated to skating like Michelle and Sarah.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
My opinion on Jeff's questions about Baiul and Kulik....I think Ilia would have been very successful because he had a great work ethic. He's still got big jumps and with his body type could have easily rotated quads successfully. I don't think he even came near to reaching his potential. Bauil on the other hand was on a downward spiral following her OGM. I never thought she had a support system and she did not have the work ethic. Money and fame were her undoing. I know the Petrenkos tried with her but she had her own mind and went off in life unfettered. It's a shame because she was talented. I always felt sorry for her in later years when she had put on weight and could barely land a triple toe. She still had the performance factor but her technical ability had gone by the wayside.

I agree about Kulik. It would have been exciting if he, Plushenko, and Yagudin were all fighting for the OGM in 2002.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Oda could have won a world medal, but he's hitting a pinnacle in his 'after skate' career, I see him almost daily on TV. :biggrin:
He seems to have found his happily ever after.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dick Button, whom I greatly respect, once referred to Angela Nikodinov's skating as "liquid gold."

That phrase stuck with me. Memories of her layback spin also linger, and nearly everyone in the 15 years since has suffered in comparison.

katha

On the Ice
I agree about Kulik. It would have been exciting if he, Plushenko, and Yagudin were all fighting for the OGM in 2002.
I think Kulik had the goods and the drive to succeed further in competitions, I don't know if he had the nerves for it? He always struck me as a headcase and at Olys the stars aligned for him. And he did many great programs as a pro. :) One of my fave skaters, lovely jumps and flow across the ice.

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Dick Button, whom I greatly respect, once referred to Angela Nikodinov's skating as "liquid gold."

That phrase stuck with me. Memories of her layback spin also linger, and nearly everyone in the 15 years since has suffered in comparison.

Angela's skating IS liquid gold. I know I said upthread that she'd been bombing since Novice but she had such incredible basics (Thank you Mr. Nicks) that she could get away with it. Her posture, glide, control and budding elegance were all so apparent. This is an early 1997 Angela with perfect choreography by Peter Oppegard. Almost my favorite program of hers. I was at this Nationals and I turned to my friend when her marks came up and was like "What am I seeing that the judges aren't?!?!? She's incredible!" David was like "The judges are just making her wait her turn I suppose...". I thought she was a clear 2nd in the FP behind Tara but I guess USFS wanted the team to be Kwan, Lipinski, Bobek. Anyway, this is early elegant Angela Nikodinov: https://youtu.be/Z7qKyUKtxoU