Alexander Petrov | Page 99 | Golden Skate

Alexander Petrov

adelia

Record Breaker
Very good, indeed. And the music was very powerful and epic - and yet he was not overwhelmed by it, which certainly says a lot for someone that age.

Made me think of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe soundtrack a little:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEITmq8IOLQ

Which might suit him very well, but might be a little "young" in association.

I also thought of the Bourne soundtrack, and that might work too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri4-dvfDfAU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3VPvp4O8xE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKzAfdZ6_bg
Yes, very mature and musical. He also has good rhythm and understanding of phrasing.

Well, the summer camps start a little earlier than usual this year so it's possible we might get some clue as to what he will be skating to by June. A short portion of this season's LP music was actually inadvertently "leaked" by one of the young girls on instagram during one of the camps. It's just that we couldn't identify it at that time.

Last edited:

Skater01

On the Ice
Yes, very mature and musical. He also has good rhythm and understanding of phrasing.

Well, the summer camps start a little earlier than usual this year so it's possible we might get some clue as to what he will be skating to by June. A short portion of this season's LP music was actually inadvertently "leaked" by one of the young girls on instagram during one of the camps. It's just that we couldn't identify it at that time.

Yeah, that's possible. Although, if I rember correctly, they were pretty late with the musics last summer. But since, as you said, the camps are earlier they might think about next season earlier too.

Of course it might be completely a "cultural difference" but, when I was skating we somehow had our new musics by this time of year. So that's why it felt kinda odd to me last year.

adelia

Record Breaker
Yeah, that's possible. Although, if I rember correctly, they were pretty late with the musics last summer. But since, as you said, the camps are earlier they might think about next season earlier too.

Of course it might be completely a "cultural difference" but, when I was skating we somehow had our new musics by this time of year. So that's why it felt kinda odd to me last year.
They might be exploring various options now, who knows.
He went to Switzerland in May last year to get choreo done with Lambiel so they probably had his SP music already sorted out before then.
IIRC, in 2014 he had both programs done by July but back then his choreographer was Edvald Smirnov.

In general I wish for 2 new programs, music that is different in style from what he did this season but please no jazz or anything like that. Classical (not the "modern arrangements!) would be a good challenge but I doubt that will happen.

Skater01

On the Ice
They might be exploring various options now, who knows.
He went to Switzerland in May last year to get choreo done with Lambiel so they probably had his SP music already sorted out before then.
IIRC, in 2014 he had both programs done by July but back then his choreographer was Edvald Smirnov.

In general I wish for 2 new programs, music that is different in style from what he did this season but please no jazz or anything like that. Classical (not the "modern arrangements!) would be a good challenge but I doubt that will happen.

Okay, they were earlier than I remembered then. Sorry about that :)

Actually, a nice jazz program could be interesting. It would have to be very good though, ok wouldn't be good enough. And please no "Mishin trademark" musics, we've had too many of those already.

adelia

Record Breaker
Okay, they were earlier than I remembered then. Sorry about that :)

Actually, a nice jazz program could be interesting. It would have to be very good though, ok wouldn't be good enough. And please no "Mishin trademark" musics, we've had too many of those already.
Oh yes, and also a big NO to reusing music by past students. Sasha already had 3 programs like that (2013-14 SP/LP, 2014-15 LP) and none of them were that good. They also didn't really suit his style.

adelia

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPZkvPHDeV4
I rewatched this video. El Conquistador, the original choreography from the preview in Igora in August 2014.
I like the stsq a lot, among other aspects. This was also a significant step forward for him, in terms of developing his presentation, just as his 2011-12 LP was back then and his 2015-16 LP has been this season.

At this point in 2014 he was also in much better shape than in August 2015. I believe he was carrying an injury at Igora last year. I hope he can be injury free next season. Or at least be in a better physical condition than this season. And end the season well.

Sasha almost always seems cheerful and positive but it couldn't have been easy for him. I'm not just talking about his own injuries and illness but also the kind of psychological/emotional stress he gets from reading negative press about him after he's done well in competitions, from the sudden tragedy during TEB and the worst of course being what we only found out about in March (but must have been going on for awhile). People often forget (or choose to ignore that), he hasn't even turned 17 yet.
So against the backdrop of all that's happened to him, can anyone seriously say he hasn't done well this season? If they knew all this and still claim he hasn't, then they simply have no compassion.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I agree, it's a bit puzzling to say he hasn't done well this season- 16 year olds don't normally win medals on the senior circuit, as far as I know. :rolleye: He skated clean at both gps, plus he was injured and ill so it was unrealistic for him to debut a quad. He won bronze at senior nationals and made Euros, which wasn't even expected. As far as I'm concerned, he's done as well as a male skater his age could on their senior debut season. He has a strong mentality and I wish him the best next season.

adelia

Record Breaker
I agree, it's a bit puzzling to say he hasn't done well this season- 16 year olds don't normally win medals on the senior circuit, as far as I know. :rolleye: He skated clean at both gps, plus he was injured and ill so it was unrealistic for him to debut a quad. He won bronze at senior nationals and made Euros, which wasn't even expected. As far as I'm concerned, he's done as well as a male skater his age could on their senior debut season. He has a strong mentality and I wish him the best next season.
Yup, realistically we couldn't have expected much more.
And thank you. :)

adelia

Record Breaker
I did a quick check... last year GP assignments were released on June 15. The national team list was released around June 1. That's just 2 months from now, so keep these dates in mind as we approach summer time.