Ekaterina Bobrova & Dmitri Soloviev | Page 49 | Golden Skate

Ekaterina Bobrova & Dmitri Soloviev

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Missing Worlds probably hasn't affected their rankings much at all, as the only points that Worlds would affect is the first column in the rankings tables, the ISU championships column.
They would need to have come 6th or higher to improve on the 680 points they got at Euros.
Even if they had managed a 4th place, which was highly unlikely, it would've only improved their total to 875 points, which is less than the 200 points extra, considerably less than they could earn in a single B international.

They are right to want to do B internationals, as once the points are updated in June, they will plummet in the rankings, as they got zero ISU ranking points last season. That will cost them dearly. Ironically the highest ranking team will be Tarasova's darlings Stepanova and Bukin, with Ruslena close behind them.

Well, it's unknown how they would have done at World. They consistently progressed through the season, their FD score, for example, was bumped from 96 something at SkCan to 107 something at Euros, which is more than 10 points progress. They were in front of Cappellini/Lanotte at Euros in FD (who were clean), which is a very good sign. They also changed something in their SD prior to Worlds, so I take it was some improvements too. And considering that Worlds this year were like Christmas to ALMOST ALL the teams, I'm sure they would have scored massively and probably would have been close to top 5 at least. Of course, we will never know now. Unfortunately.
And second, after re-reading I think he actually meant their GP perspectives. They're not guaranteed 2 GP spots for the next season, right?

And yeah, I agree about challengers. I always wondered why Russian teams almost always skip them. It makes zero sence. None. It's not only rating points, which is extremely important in Bobrova/Soloviev's case, but also independent feedback from international judges and technical panels. Knowing the history of Bobrova/Soloviev's dances, it is at least as important as rating points. Anyway, I hope they will do 2 events and get 2 GPs. It would be great for them.

Mattieu

Medalist
And second, after re-reading I think he actually meant their GP perspectives. They're not guaranteed 2 GP spots for the next season, right?

True, they would've been guaranteed 2 GP spots if they had done Worlds, but they will probably get 2 GP's anyway, as they are guaranteed 1 spot at least as they are in the top 25 in both the ISU ranking and in season's best. They they will get CoR, so no I don't think he is talking about losing points in the GP's he is talking about losing Worlds points

Snow63

Record Breaker
True, they would've been guaranteed 2 GP spots if they had done Worlds, but they will probably get 2 GP's anyway, as they are guaranteed 1 spot at least as they are in the top 25 in both the ISU ranking and in season's best. They they will get CoR, so no I don't think he is talking about losing points in the GP's he is talking about losing Worlds points

So it will probably be Ilinykh/Zhiganshin, Bobrova/Soloviev and Stepanova/Bukin at Rostelecom, since none of them are guearanteed 2 spots? :biggrin: I think the Fed will not let Sinitsina/Katsalapov to pick Rostelecom. And I know for sure that Zahorski/Guerreiro were promised home spot too! And I'm not even talking about other Russian teams and fresh out of juniors pairs. WHAT A MESS!

Edit: And I have a feeling that if one of those three (Ilinykh/Zhiganshin, Bobrova/Soloviev and Stepanova/Bukin) will be left without second GP spot it will be Ilinykh/Zhiganshin, not Stepanova/Bukin. Unfortunately.

Last edited:

Mattieu

Medalist
So it will probably be Ilinykh/Zhiganshin, Bobrova/Soloviev and Stepanova/Bukin at Rostelecom, since none of them are guearanteed 2 spots? :biggrin: I think the Fed will not let Sinitsina/Katsalapov to pick Rostelecom. And I know for sure that Zahorski/Guerreiro were promised home spot too! And I'm not even talking about other Russian teams and fresh out of juniors pairs. WHAT A MESS!

Edit: And I have a feeling that if one of those three (Ilinykh/Zhiganshin, Bobrova/Soloviev and Stepanova/Bukin) will be left without second GP spot it will be Ilinykh/Zhiganshin, not Stepanova/Bukin. Unfortunately.

I feel sure that B/S will get a 2nd spot, especially after how they have lost out on Worlds through no fault of their own.
I also agree that it will probably be I/Z who don't get the 2nd GP, as the Russian Federation will most likely give the home GP to Z/G as they won't want to leave one of their National team without even one GP.
IMHO the most likely scenario is 2 spots for S/K & B/S with I/K, S/B & Z/G at CoR, thus all the National team get 2 GP's except Z/G
Though on reflection, I/K & S/B have a good shot at 2 GP's each, as they have the 7th & 14th highest seasons best scores respectively and will both be in the top 12 ISU ranking.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Then they should get back their ranking points, not to mention medal and prize money, from Euros? I hope so!

This is very good news!

Mattieu

Medalist
Then they should get back their ranking points, not to mention medal and prize money, from Euros? I hope so!

This is very good news!

Their Euros 2016 ranking points were never removed from the iSU ranking tables

Last edited:

Snow63

Record Breaker
I feel sure that B/S will get a 2nd spot, especially after how they have lost out on Worlds through no fault of their own.
I also agree that it will probably be I/Z who don't get the 2nd GP, as the Russian Federation will most likely give the home GP to Z/G as they won't want to leave one of their National team without even one GP.
IMHO the most likely scenario is 2 spots for S/K & B/S with I/K, S/B & Z/G at CoR, thus all the National team get 2 GP's except Z/G
Though on reflection, I/K & S/B have a good shot at 2 GP's each, as they have the 7th & 14th highest seasons best scores respectively and will both be in the top 12 ISU ranking.

You mean you think they will get second spot officially, not home spot? I don't know about that, honestly. But I hope so.

Snow63

Record Breaker

This is very good news!

As far as I know, they were never excluded from Euros protocols. There was not an official disqualification. But I bet Sinitsina/Katsalapov already felt those bronze medals on their necks :laugh:

Mattieu

Medalist
You mean you think they will get second spot officially, not home spot? I don't know about that, honestly. But I hope so.

A 2nd official GP spot for B/S would seem reasonable compensation for the injustice of them being deprived or Worlds and their chance to earn that 2nd spot legitimately.

Snow63

Record Breaker
A 2nd official GP spot for B/S would seem reasonable compensation for the injustice of them being deprived or Worlds and their chance to earn that 2nd spot legitimately.

I agree that it will be fair decision. Hope ISU will consider this.

Snow63

Record Breaker
And yet they still lost a chance to skate at WC. :palmf:
Still this is a great news! I hope they will come back stronger next season!

Yeah, what a shame! But at least their careers will continue. For now I'm thankful for that.

Bahar

Rinkside
I'm sorry if you guys talked this before, but is it certain that they will be able to continue skating next season ? ( If they will I'm gonna be very happy :) )

Snow63

Record Breaker
I'm sorry if you guys talked this before, but is it certain that they will be able to continue skating next season ? ( If they will I'm gonna be very happy :) )

Yes, they will! Their next goal in Olympics 2018!

Snow63

Record Breaker
Not the most accurate translation, honestly, but it's the best one I could find. It's Dmitri Soloviev's and Alexander Zhulin's take on ISU decision. I posted links in Russian on previous pages.

Recently the good news have come. ISU canceled the suspension of Ekaterina Bobrova caused by her positive doping test on meldonium. Ekaterina shared this good news with fans on her Instagram account, but she hasn’t gave any official comments yet. However, her partner Dmitri Soloviev and coach Alexander Zhulin commented this happy news.

Dmitri: Actually, I have already knew it last week that the ISU will cancel Katya’s suspension. But just today she told that the letter has come. Of course, we are very glad that justice prevailed. But while we rejoice carefully, because there hadn’t been an official announcement yet. Now at least we know that soon we will be able to resume performing. We’re creating a new free program – very unusual and interesting. We already have the theme, dance and music. But they haven’t been approved yet, so we won’t disclose all the secrets.

Is it true that Katya was really depressed – to such extent that she has lost an interest for training?

Dmitri: Yes, Katya wondered to continue or not. Firstly it was too hard to wait until I have recovered from the injury, and now we had to miss the World Championships. After all, the whole season we were going to the main start – and everything went quite well. And suddenly we’re caught on some meldonium, which has no effect on the body. It was so sad that we were thinking: to continue skating or not. There were proposals to go into show business, to earn good money. But how we could finish our career on such note? We still want to show ourselves at the Olympics. And we are very grateful to the people who have done a great job to protect us. And while we’re waiting for the final official verdict to be happy in full force.

Who offered you an alternative to sport?

Dmitri: Evgeni Plushenko, and there also were other options. But we waited because we wanted to stay in the sport arena. Now, we’ll show ourselves at Grand-prix, European Championships and Olympics. To finish the career with scandal or injury it’s not about us. I think, if God gives us such tests, and such chance – then prepares something special for us.

If the case finally ends in your favor to which competition you will prepare?

Dmitri: Will see the nearest competitions of the next season and decide. I hope, will be able to take part in Grand Prix. We haven’t seen the schedule yet, will choose so it’ll be comfortable to prepare and recover.

Have you faced with the reprehension from foreign and our skaters?

Dmitri: No, no one said: we won’t shake hands with them. On the contrary, supported – even foreigners.

And a comment from Alexander Zhulin.

Alexander, is it true that ISU canceled Ekaterina’s suspension?

A.Z.: There were some conversation, but we don’t have final information whether they just canceled the suspension or completely dismissed an action. I don’t want my words then turned untrue. When the official announcement come then I’ll be able to say something. They have announced about Kulizhnikov, Elistratov and Konstantinov, but nothing about my student. Although, as I understand it, by the concentration of meldonium, all these situations are very similar.

What are you doing now while you’re waiting for the final verdict?

A.Z.: Working, creating new programs. We are more than sure that everything should have been well. As it turned out, this drug keeps in body for insanely long time – up to six months, and maybe more. World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) got it very fast. Knowing that all Russian athletes take it and that it keeps for a long time, quickly called it a doping and putted in the fourth group. The standard suspension for the preparations of the group – four years. Thus, they could have buried almost the entire Russian sports. This is an omission of our officials – they haven’t reacted quickly, didn’t prove that it is not a doping and it’s impossible to put it in a heavy group. It is our great mistake. I hope that now it will be corrected.

But, apparently, for Bobrova they will take exactly the same decision as for Kulizhnikov and Elistratov?

A.Z.: I hope so. Because if the drug keeps for six months, whenever she has ended to take it – for example, in October, still a nanogram of meldonium will remain. This drug is very dangerous. This is unproven, but I’ve heard that our or even American scientists have found that in conjunction with L-carnitine meldonium can keeps in a body for all life. Can you imagine what would happen to the people who took meldonium in conjunction with L-carnitine? This is a terrible trap! Therefore, if now someone will offer any drugs to my students, even completely verified … I will insist that they take nothing but green tea. Because your career, your life, the fate of the coach, all professionals who work with you can be put in danger. We have missed the World Championships, where they could perform well, have lost ranking points. Thank God, if we will rehabilitated, we won’t lose medals from the European Championships, where guys skated beautifully. Keep our fingers crossed, hoping that everything will end well.

How far have you got in creation of new programs?

A.Z.: To be honest, it was very difficult to persuade them to work. Both Katya and Dima was in a terrible mood. Plus, when a person is under such pressure, in limbo, he starts to think of another life. Starts to enter some universities, tries to act in movies, plans to get married, have children. Thoughts are going in a different direction. Even when recently passed the information that most likely everything will be fine, Kate was in a terrible mood and thought whether to continue to quit. But now, I hope, everything will fall into place.

Source (of translation): http://fs-gossips.com/zhulin-and-soloviev-we-believe-that-everything-will-be-ok/

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Thank you so much for the translation. I'm sorry but "melodium has no effect on the body"???? WTH were any athletes taking it then? It's not like we're talking about a breath mint here.

Russian Ice Dance...The Uber!Trauma!Drahmahhhhhhhh! NEVER ENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:popcorn: x a zillion!

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Thank you so much for the translation. I'm sorry but "melodium has no effect on the body"???? WTH were any athletes taking it then? It's not like we're talking about a breath mint here.

Russian Ice Dance...The Uber!Trauma!Drahmahhhhhhhh! NEVER ENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:popcorn: x a zillion!

May be because Bobrova is vegetarian.. :think: