Skate America Ideal Locations | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Skate America Ideal Locations

Weathergal

Medalist
I love it when you say "You Look Tall". It gives you an idea of how short most professional performers actually are. In fact, it's why I started wearing cowboy boots all the time because they made me look tall. Believe it or not, I'm only 5' 9"......... and a half....;)

LOLsame height as my husband!

Trewyn

Medalist
As a European I would consider travelling to New-York for Skate America - plain tickets might just be acceptable.

andyjo24

Medalist
I love it when you say "You Look Tall". It gives you an idea of how short most professional performers actually are. In fact, it's why I started wearing cowboy boots all the time because they made me look tall. Believe it or not, I'm only 5' 9"......... and a half....;) Plus, my hair was HUGE. :disapp:

I am retired from performing and teaching but, I do judge dance out here on occasion. I guess I'm kind of like the Lori Nichol of dance. I do a lot of staging for dance routines which has really become vital if you want to win. No longer can you stand in block and win.

Lol!

I'm a 5"9"er too barefoot, and I towered most of the skaters I saw in person!!

Skaters look really tall on TV, so it's absolutely shocking to see how short they are in person.:eeking:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Random: there was a thread here that I was writing a post in that I decided not to post. When I went back to the home page, it was gone! About half the reason I didn't post was that I had a feeling someone was going to get mad about that thread (it mentions sky_fly so of course someone would) and it's gone now...weird.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would gladly sit next to Skyfly_20 at the next Skate America :yes:

Layback11

Record Breaker
I would gladly sit next to Skyfly_20 at the next Skate America :yes:

Lol. From what I've heard he was a fanatical Gracie superfan who also loved Yulia Lip and Shoma, and when I first heard that, I was worried that people were going to think I was the returning Sky_Fly because I love all of those skaters too. Luckily, I was never accused of being Sky_Fly, so I guess that was just me being illogical. :slink:

kwanza

Rinkside
Skate America 2016 Host City

Does anyone know if the host city for Skate America will be announced this week? Also, are there any ideas as to what the host city may be this Fall?

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There was a similar thread on this topic about a month ago. :) I don't think any more information has been released yet.

I still have my fingers crossed for Buffalo... And there's no stock in my reasoning for that city, it's only because I live close by. ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
On a similar topic, does anyone know why USFS are so stupid about this? My original American trip was supposed to be a visit to Skate America - the one this past October, in fact. (I would have seen Max win and Jason medal and Brendan skate so well!) But the announcement of the city was so late that I had to decide against it because the price of the plane tickets alone would have been prohibitive. Other GP hosts seem to know well in advance. USFS' method would, I imagine, actually put off a lot of people from coming, particularly overseas visitors.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
We should see an announcement relatively soon.

Last year, Milwaukee was announced as the host city on May 4, a day after the end of the USFS Governing Council. This year's council ended on April 30 (Saturday), so maybe something this week?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't tell if Columbus is making a push for Skate America or US Nationals but I'm hearing that they are really interested.

KissAndCry

Rinkside
There was a similar thread on this topic about a month ago. :) I don't think any more information has been released yet.

I still have my fingers crossed for Buffalo... And there's no stock in my reasoning for that city, it's only because I live close by. ;)

I live in Buffalo! I would absolutely love it if Skate America was held here again. I have been entertaining the idea of starting a campaign to have the city bid for it, but I don't really know where to start. We have great facilities here now (Harbor Center), and more hotels and restaurants downtown. Our city is seeing a bit of a resurgence with more growth planned. First Niagara Center may be a bit large for SKAM, though. Maybe Nationals would be a possibility, even. A girl can dream...

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I had so much fun in Milwaukee that I want to attend SA again. My hubby wAnts to plan an October vacation and I am dragging my feet waiting for the SA announcement. Hurry up USFS!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After three years in the midwest (Milwaukee, Hoffman Estates, Detroit), it really should be somewhere on the east coast or the west coast this year.

How about Philly? I could make that work - only 90 mins by train. I would be surprised if it were ever held in the tri-state area but you never know.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I live in Buffalo! I would absolutely love it if Skate America was held here again. I have been entertaining the idea of starting a campaign to have the city bid for it, but I don't really know where to start. We have great facilities here now (Harbor Center), and more hotels and restaurants downtown. Our city is seeing a bit of a resurgence with more growth planned. First Niagara Center may be a bit large for SKAM, though. Maybe Nationals would be a possibility, even. A girl can dream...

Buffalo would be great!!! There are so many things to do and it's close to Toronto, Canada. Maybe they could get some of the Sabres Players to sign autograph's to help draw some of the Hockey fans in to help promote figure skating.

just wondering

On the Ice
I can't tell if Columbus is making a push for Skate America or US Nationals but I'm hearing that they are really interested.

With USFS's GC just there last weekend, I'm sure they checked out the facilities. USFS favorited or retweeted something by the city's sports commission, too. My suspicion is there's definitely something in the works. :) Whether it will come to fruition is always a question, but Nationwide Arena has an attached ice surface for practice ice, and the city has a safe, vibrant downtown. Wouldn't be a terrible option for a Skate America some year or a Nationals, even, as there are several rinks in the suburbs for overflow, if needed. My Ohio skating friends rarely miss a chance to remind me of all these pluses.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker

Hey, I already called Columbus a few weeks ago, back on page 7! :dev2:

My suspicion is there's definitely something in the works. :) Whether it will come to fruition is always a question, but Nationwide Arena has an attached ice surface for practice ice

Can't be Nationwide Arena. They are already booked on Oct 22nd with the tour of gymnastics champions, following the summer Olympics.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey, I already called Columbus a few weeks ago, back on page 7! :dev2:

Can't be Nationwide Arena. They are already booked on Oct 22nd with the tour of gymnastics champions, following the summer Olympics.

Maybe at the convention center like in a Barcelona type of thing? Its literally a few block from Nationwide Arena which means the practice ice at Nationwide could still be used. I think though that Columbus wants US Nationals to go to Nationwide Arena. I just keep hearing things from people in the know saying Columbus is very interested an event. That's the buzz in my ear.

Last edited:

just wondering

On the Ice
Maybe at the convention center like in Barcelona type of thing? Its literally a few block from Nationwide Arena which means the practice ice at Nationwide could still be used. I think though that Columbus wants US Nationals to go to Nationwide Arena. I just keep hearing things from people in the know saying Columbus is very interested an event. That's the buzz in my ear.

Ahh, thanks for sharing the buzz. My Ohio skating peeps will be thrilled there's even a rumor of an event on the horizon.