Skate America Ideal Locations | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Skate America Ideal Locations

edenlover

On the Ice
With USFS's GC just there last weekend, I'm sure they checked out the facilities. USFS favorited or retweeted something by the city's sports commission, too. My suspicion is there's definitely something in the works. :) Whether it will come to fruition is always a question, but Nationwide Arena has an attached ice surface for practice ice, and the city has a safe, vibrant downtown. Wouldn't be a terrible option for a Skate America some year or a Nationals, even, as there are several rinks in the suburbs for overflow, if needed. My Ohio skating friends rarely miss a chance to remind me of all these pluses.

OMG! I would be thrilled. It's a 60 minute drive from my house. Could handle BUffalo, as well, cuz my inlaws are there. But COlumbus--that would be the best ever! Lots to do there...

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Xcel in St. Paul did a great job with Nationals, so of course I would love Skate America to be there!

kefelsted

Rinkside
The ISU released the locations of every other 2016-2017 competition today EXCEPT SA! Grrrrr.... How can you plan?

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know! Let's hope they are just finalizing the details and will make the announcement soon in the next few days.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I know! Let's hope they are just finalizing the details and will make the announcement soon in the next few days.

Well, unless they're planning on holding it on Mars.......What's the delay. Spill it already.

KissAndCry

Rinkside
You can add me to the list of those that are hoping for an announcement this week, and I really hope it is in a location that I can easily get to. Skate Canada is being held very close to me, but I've been holding off on getting tickets since I would prefer to go to Skate America. I am hopeful that one of my favorite skaters (Alex Johnson) will get an assignment to Skate America due to his 6th place finish at Nationals. Skate Canada is my back-up plan, even though it will most likely be a cheaper trip!

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
The ISU released the locations of every other 2016-2017 competition today EXCEPT SA! Grrrrr.... How can you plan?

bah... we know the country.

and we all know that all countries are small enough that you can drive anywhere in a day or less. I mean opposite sides of the USA is totally the same as opposite sides of France.

Why could anyone need more info than the country it is held in.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You can add me to the list of those that are hoping for an announcement this week, and I really hope it is in a location that I can easily get to. Skate Canada is being held very close to me, but I've been holding off on getting tickets since I would prefer to go to Skate America. I am hopeful that one of my favorite skaters (Alex Johnson) will get an assignment to Skate America due to his 6th place finish at Nationals. Skate Canada is my back-up plan, even though it will most likely be a cheaper trip!

I am going to Skate Canada; the trip is very cheap due to the exchange rate. And that was announced weeks ago!

Layback11

Record Breaker
Seriously, we want to know! :drama: There's no point in being cryptic anymore...I mean, what are they trying to gain by not telling us? Maybe I'm just impatient? :laugh: Probably.

honghe

On the Ice
I kind of want it to be held in Philadelphia. But really, now I just want them to reveal the location :roll9:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I kind of want it to be held in Philadelphia. But really, now I just want them to reveal the location :roll9:

Great first post, honghe! If it can't be in my backyard, it should be in my hometown:agree:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I know that Nationals in Omaha (my hometown) was not successful from an attendance standpoint, but skaters I talked to thought it was a perfect setup because they literally could walk in their PJs from the hotel skyway to the performance/practice rinks that were in one location. No buses needed and just 10 minutes from a very efficient airport. Plus, Omaha in October is lovely. With SA on a much shorter schedule and involving senior international stars, I'm sure the local support would be much improved.

Last edited:

andyjo24

Medalist

Omg. Philly would be perfect!

But considering the number of Columbus rumors here, I feel that it will be held there.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Y'know, I really wish USFSA would give Ashley the Skate America assignment this year. She didn't get it last year despite being US champion. I know she's well received in Canada and has always done well at Skate Canada, but comm'on, the girl has a world silver medal! Even though Gracie is US champion. Give Gracie Skate Canada, or send the two of them to Skate America. Oooh, that would be entertaining.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Y'know, I really wish USFSA would give Ashley the Skate America assignment this year. She didn't get it last year despite being US champion. I know she's well received in Canada and has always done well at Skate Canada, but comm'on, the girl has a world silver medal! Even though Gracie is US champion. Give Gracie Skate Canada, or send the two of them to Skate America. Oooh, that would be entertaining.

The theory last year was that Gracie got Skate America as Gracie was highest at worlds. So in theory if the same holds true Ashley should get it. But I would not be surprised if she says she wants Skate Canada... so who knows.

winky97

Medalist
Just saw Twitter discussion that SA is rumored to be returning to Chicago this year. That would make me extremely happy since I am in Chicago and would not have to travel.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Just saw Twitter discussion that SA is rumored to be returning to Chicago this year. That would make me extremely happy since I am in Chicago and would not have to travel.

I hope you're right about Chicago. It's a great town and it has one of the best public transportation systems in the US. You can basically get anywhere at almost anytime without needing a car. The are some very nice and decently priced hotels in the city and the setting couldn't be better. It could be freezing and windy of course but hey, it will be fall so it's 50/50. ;)