Yulia Lipnitskaya | Page 506 | Golden Skate

Yulia Lipnitskaya

pomelowood

On the Ice
No Frozen! No Adele! No Titanic! No Whitney!:bang:
I think swan lake is overused in ice skating so i don't think it is an unexpected choice but SL is classic and fit yulia's style.
Also it is better than pop song.
It will be dream come true if she skates to game of thrones music. Those music from season 6 finale are amazing but sadly they are all released recently.
May be next season: LP -The Winds of Winter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY2evrkfbiM

SP-Targaryan and Stark themes mix ver.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_oHe8eVXVc

Spiral

Final Flight
Like all of Yulia's fans, it seems, I'd absolutely love it if she skated to Swan Lake or Saint-Saens’ dying swan, but I’m not sure if it fully fits the info. Yes, the costume would clue us in immediately (although we won’t know which swan she’ll be portraying till the music starts), and I guess it can be described as a hit, in a way, although this term generally isn’t applied to classical music, since it’s already timeless by definition, but how would such a choice be “very unexpected”? It’s prime fs music! :)

Star Wars soundtrack would fit all the info we have so far. I didn’t watch the last installment, but I liked the music in the previous six films, and it would certainly be interesting and original if Yulia portrayed Princess Leia or Padme Amidala on the ice. And Leia’s two buns hairstyle and Padme’s formal make-up would certainly be instantly recognizable.

I think Titanic, Whitney's "I will always love you" and Frozen wouldn’t be “very unexpected.” I’m not familiar with Frozen, but for the first two there’s not much likelihood of an immediately recognizable costume either. And personally, I hope it’s not any of these because there are lots of much more interesting music choices out there IMO.

Mulan would be interesting, but somehow I don’t think Yulia would want to step into that river again. Although if she did, I’d be for it. There’s a lot of very different music in Mulan, so it could make for an interesting LP.

Lara Fabian, Michael Jackson or Beyonce wouldn’t be “very unexpected” or have a specific costume, so I don’t think it’s one of those, I’m glad to say.

I like the music from Doctor Zhivago, but it also would be neither unexpected nor have a tell-tale costume.

The one of the mentioned choices I really can’t stand is Kill Bill. I didn’t watch this film, but I highly disliked both Volosozhar/Trankov’s exhibition program to its soundtrack, and also Yulia’s from the Olympic season and was hugely relieved when she went back to Hachaturyan’s sable dance.

I’d be fine with the ET score, but the only way to have an instantly recognizable costume to this one would be to dress up as the alien, and I don’t think Yulia would do that for a competitive program.

I don’t see Yulia skating to Schindler’s List again, because I see no earthly reason for her to do it. She skated to R&J again in the post-Olympic season, as a sort of last resort, and she’d only skated to that in juniors, so she thought she could bring something new to it, and plenty of fs fans probably didn’t see it, if they don’t watch juniors much. But Schindler’s List is her most famous program and a masterpiece.

I’d have loved to see her skate to Harry Potter music, but I doubt she will, as she seems determined to embrace the grown up look on the ice now and consequently wouldn’t be likely to pick a school kids theme.

What else could it be? I’ve seen a just released BBC adaptation of War and Peace, and I liked the music, and I’ve just checked in Wikipedia that it has been shown on TV in Russia in May. But the costume can be any historical drama from that period. Tatiana Larina or any Jane Austen heroine would wear a similar type of dress, so again it wouldn’t be instantly recognizable till the music starts. Descendants, on the other hand, would have easily recognizable costumes, but I don’t think Yulia would go for a fictional Disney character now. The same goes for the newly released Cinderella movie. LOTR would be nice, and some costume details, like a diadem, can be instantly recognizable.

My bet is on a film soundtrack, but I don’t watch that many films, so I can’t think of anything other than LOTR that would fit all the criteria: a hit, but very unexpected because it’s never been used in fs, with plenty of memorable characters and a possibility for a telltale costume.

NaVi

Medalist
People will hate me for saying this, but I get a little worried when I hear a Russian doing something that pop-ish. If that's what they're doing then they really, really, really need to get a Western set of eyes on these programs to get some feedback.

jajoana

On the Ice
People will hate me for saying this, but I get a little worried when I hear a Russian doing something that pop-ish.
I don't think anybody is going to 'hate". You're absolutely right, unfortunately.
On the other hand, I don't think there's any reason to be worried right now. A.E.U. said nothing about pop-music.
So may be we should just keep kalm and wait for september 10-11 :).

pomelowood

On the Ice
Happy news:hap10:
Team Russia for 2016-2017 Ladies.
Main team: Yulia, Evgeniya, Anna, Lena, Adelina, Liza.
Reserved: Leonova, Sotskova

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm completely indifferent to what she chooses for her music. I trust she'll only do something she believes in and after she was able to sell me on Elvis then I'm confident that the only ingredient I need is her unique ability to caption my imagination. I honestly thought R&J had everything it needed to be a masterpiece. The way she creates images and mood with her subtle arm and hand movements is something that she does in a way all her own.

One of the very first videos I ever edited was to recreate R&J and transform that program into what I started to call remixes. What I soon realized was how intricate and thoughtful her movements are. If you haven't seen it give it a look. It's almost to 4,000 views which blows my mind. :eek::

https://youtu.be/nTR5Y7KJC_Q

I honestly have no guess what her next programs will be and kinda hope it really is something unexpected. All she needs to do this year is build confidence.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looks like Julia will be at Rostelecom Cup and Skate America! Get em girl! :rock:

winky97

Medalist
How do we feel about SA and Rostelecom? Our girl has managed to get two of the most difficult places:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmN96tVWkAA2U-5.jpg:large 'course we do not know how either of the three Russians will be: Has Elena regained her stability? Will Anna mantain last season's focus? Is Yulia back at top form? GAH, start the season already!

Since I live in Chicago I am ok with Yulia getting SA. Saw her last year in Milwaukee. I am a sucker for a come back story and I hope she can pull it off. The Rostelcom line up is pretty weak as far as the ladies go. I suspect that Elena has largely adjusted to her new body. We will she if Anna has some confidence after Worlds.

Spiral

Final Flight
I'm so happy Yulia got two GP assignments! :hap10: Skate America won't be easy, what with Mao Asada there, and also Gracie Gold and Ashley Wagner on home soil, but Rostelecom seems doable. Then again, if Yulia regains her stamina as well as her jump combinations, she'll be able to compete successfully against anybody.

People will hate me for saying this, but I get a little worried when I hear a Russian doing something that pop-ish. If that's what they're doing then they really, really, really need to get a Western set of eyes on these programs to get some feedback.

I beg to differ. I think all pop music, whether American or Russian, is very similar, and Yulia in particular has delivered very fine programs to Elvis Presley songs and "It's wonderful."

Last edited:

moviebuff

On the Ice
I'm actually most excited for Skate America. Yes, it's freakin' packed...so baby gurrrl better bring it! She has sparred and shared competitive ice with the best of them, and can compete with anyone. :rock:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm not sure how I feel about assignments, but I'm glad at least at SA she will have a support from Elena Ilinykh :biggrin:

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Very bad that she will skate at SA. But if they think that will be better :hopelessness:
I would prefer CoC :(

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I'm not one to think is that bad she's going to SA. Mao didn't end on a good note last year, Ashely and Gracie can either go big or go boom - anything can happen that early in the season. If Yulia is able to beat them, or at least measure up to their level, she's going to be just fine.

Spiral

Final Flight
Very bad that she will skate at SA. But if they think that will be better :hopelessness:
I would prefer CoC :(

I'm not sure. Ashley Wagner will be at both events. Mao Asada and Gracie Gold will also be at SA, while Elena Radionova, Rika Hongo and Elizaveta Tuktamysheva will also be at COC. Tuktamysheva didn't do too well this past season, but she may spring up to the top again, as she's already done once. Gold and Wagner will have home advantage at SA, but Medvedeva won it this past season (as opposed to COR in her hometown of Moscow where she made some mistakes and ended up second - her only A competition she didn't win). So these things are hard to predict. I think the main thing for Yulia is to get her combos and stamina back, then everything is possible!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so happy Yulia got two GP assignments! :hap10: Skate America won't be easy, what with Mao Asada there, and also Gracie Gold and Ashley Wagner on home soil, but Rostelecom seems doable. Then again, if Yulia regains her stamina as well as her jump combinations, she'll be able to compete successfully against anybody.

I beg to differ. I think all pop music, whether American or Russian, is very similar, and Yulia in particular has delivered very fine programs to Elvis Presley songs and "It's wonderful."

Very anxious to see Yulia at SA. She wasn't at her best last year. I think she has improved with her new coach though, so it will be fun to see her again. The ladies event is going to be very competitive! Can't wait.