2016 Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2016 Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy

clippers8200

On the Ice
This was painful to watch. I wonder what the real problem is? At this rate they may not qualify any ladies for the Olympics.

I think (not sure, but I think I read this somewhere?) that Korea will be given a certain number of spots as the host country of the Olympics. It really was hard to watch - the ice quality did not look good, but I mean DB and YY went clean and it's not an excuse for literally zero clean jumping passes :(

tinnychan

On the Ice
I think (not sure, but I think I read this somewhere?) that Korea will be given a certain number of spots as the host country of the Olympics. It really was hard to watch - the ice quality did not look good, but I mean DB and YY went clean and it's not an excuse for literally zero clean jumping passes :(

http://static.isu.org/media/309682/isu-figure-skating-en.pdf

Sadly to sad, Korea only gurantee one spot from Host country places in olympics. Korea can earn 2 spots from top ten finish in 2017 Worlds, it is difficult unless Dabin and Soyoun can improve their PCS and clean skate!!!

clippers8200

On the Ice

DarR

Rinkside
Agh, that'd be terrible. Is it also possible for two spots if they do a 12/14 finish or however that point system works

Unfortunately not.. Korea ladies only has one spot at the 2017 Worlds, that means if they want to have 2 spots at the Olympics, then the skater whomever she is will need to be in the top 10 at the 2017 Worlds.

dhjh811

On the Ice
Unfortunately not.. Korea ladies only has one spot at the 2017 Worlds, that means if they want to have 2 spots at the Olympics, then the skater whomever she is will need to be in the top 10 at the 2017 Worlds.

At this rate, that lady will probably be Dabin instead of Soyoun...

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
So Youn's FS is really painful to watch. She seemed to have back pains from the start. Every jumps and spins are very labored without any lightness.

clippers8200

On the Ice

Oh no! I was thinking in the same mindset of last year, but I forgot there's only one spot for this year :( We need Yuna back

MasterB

Final Flight
Oh no! I was thinking in the same mindset of last year, but I forgot there's only one spot for this year :( We need Yuna back

1. Can Korea talk Yuna into coming back. I can't imagine the pressure she would be under but, if anyone can she be it.

2. All of Korea's talent seems to lie with the baby ballerinas (quoting Dick Button). Will any of them be age-eligible by the time Olympics rolls around?

clippers8200

On the Ice
1. Can Korea talk Yuna into coming back. I can't imagine the pressure she would be under but, if anyone can she be it.

2. All of Korea's talent seems to lie with the baby ballerinas (quoting Dick Button). Will any of them be age-eligible by the time Olympics rolls around?

No to both of those :(
Kim Yuna is definitely done with skating - as much as I would love for her to come back for her home olympics and get that second gold medal. And unfortunately, none of these promising young Korean skaters will be eligible until Beiing 2022 :(

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker

No. PLEASE DON'T BRING HER BACK. Yuna has already moved on. It would only pain me more to her skate so lifeless and so out of it. The upcoming season looks bleak but the light is coming soon. I think we all have to be patient.

None of the next-gen trio (Yoo, Eunsoo, and Yelim) are eligible. All we can rely on are Soyoun, Dabin, Sohyun, Hanul, Suhyun, or Nahyun.

dhjh811

On the Ice
I love Soyoun, but I don't know how she could possibly get into the top 10 at worlds. In this field, she would need a clean sp AND fs.... which I dont believe she's ever done in a comp.
If not completely clean, she would have to come pretty close.
Either way, she will have to count on others not doing as well. It would be a great idea to bring Yuna back for the 2017 worlds to increase tickets for the Pyeongchang Olympics for her juniors ONLY (not herself), but Yuna seems completely done with skating. No persuasion from anywhere or anyone can win her over now. We're probably going to have to count on Dabin...

s_parks

Record Breaker
No, bringing back yuna shouldn't even be considered. Not only is training to be in competitive shape exhausting, she's been stacked with injuries, and has had way too much pressure from the fed in her career already. It's been the younger skaters' time to step up for a while now, and yuna doesn't owe anything more. It's wrong to try to get her to compete for more spots. Sorry, but i'm just so over this talk- it's pretty inconsiderate to her.
Frankly, so youn is lucky as hell she only has dabin to compete with. If they only have 1 spot for the olympics, I highly doubt so youn will even go to pyeongchang unless she suddenly finds her mojo or dabin loses her jumps.
Unfortunately for the two senior korean men, jun hwan is age eligible for the olympics, and they're even less likely to get more than 1 spot. CJH is really catching up to them on jumps, and more importantly, has better consistency. Not to mention he's already getting higher pcs... :slink:

Kuan

Final Flight
Da Bin´s SP :love: She improved a lot! But ok, anything is better than her last seasons SP.... She also seems to be faster ...? Working with Camerlengo seems to be good for her. :clap:

clippers8200

On the Ice
Da Bin´s SP :love: She improved a lot! But ok, anything is better than her last seasons SP.... She also seems to be faster ...? Working with Camerlengo seems to be good for her. :clap:

Wow - that was great! The first time I've actually enjoyed the performance side from her! Much prefer this to her FS, excited to see it on the GP :)

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
STAN RO HWANG MI!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSg1x3wUkio

Kidding aside (well not really but follow her!), Hwang-mi shows a lot of potential. Lovely carriage (assuming that she got a lot of ballet training) and her effervescence on the on ice just wows me. :luv17: Does anyone know where the PRK skaters get their training? Japan, methinks? or S. Korea? PRK may have a star on their hands if developed right.

thoakun

Final Flight
STAN RO HWANG MI!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSg1x3wUkio

Kidding aside (well not really but follow her!), Hwang-mi shows a lot of potential. Lovely carriage (assuming that she got a lot of ballet training) and her effervescence on the on ice just wows me. :luv17: Does anyone know where the PRK skaters get their training? Japan, methinks? or S. Korea? PRK may have a star on their hands if developed right.

From what I've read, they figured out the moves and techniques on their own by watching the videos - similar to Chinese pair program to some extent. PRK skaters are rarely let out of the country. I can't imagine they're sent to Japan or South Korea for training.

A photographer traveled to North Korea and here are photos of the biggest extracurricular educational facility there. Over 12000 students visit the school every day. There're classes of all kinds for children, ranging from singing, drawing, calligraphy, crafts to dancing. Ballet is quite popular among little girls.

Last edited: