Shoma Uno | Page 108 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

musicfan80

Medalist
WOW! I can't imagine how much better this SP could be with a bit of time to work on it between now and the GPF/Japanese Nationals.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
WOW! I can't imagine how much better this SP could be with a bit of time to work on it between now and the GPF/Japanese Nationals.

I think a lot of people think this program is a snoozer. I absolutely LOVE it. It will be fun to see what changes and improvements they make as the season goes along. The music is awesome (hooray Joshua Bell--violinist :clap:), and I don't get hung up on who else has skated to it. Jumps were a little off today, but tomorrow is another day. If they could just get rid of that darn b##t spin! :)

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
:rock:

also his and his coach KnC are always the BEST (except when he was crying but i erased that from my memory, it never happened), their reactions at that 98 score was priceless i watched it like 10 times.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Shoma! I just watched his SP what an amazing skater he is, his glide across the ice, his musicality,
his carriage, the gorgeous footwork and the jumps (a little off today) but for me it did not take away from the quality
of his skating at all. I thought it was a terrific performance. :bow:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think Yamada is too exhausted by all the flying so she doesn't do it anymore? She's not the youngest coach around. The german commenters should know better by now, that Mihoko Higuchi is not Yamada. Yamada is a famous coach and she was around for a long time, so they must know that the lady who is with Shoma now is Mihoko Higuchi. But they seem as uninformed as the others as they always call her Yamada. And by the way, I love the stylish Mihoko. She's such a class act with her skaters. Makes me miss Nanami Abe, she and Yuzuru were such a dream team, too. *sigh*

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:rock:

also his and his coach KnC are always the BEST (except when he was crying but i erased that from my memory, it never happened), their reactions at that 98 score was priceless i watched it like 10 times.

That was a great moment! I heard someone say she should be nominated for best-dressed coach! It's true, she really always does look very nice (although so do many others too!). Somehow I can't imagine him with another coach. I think she is a big part of his success. And the fact that he is respectful of her doesn't hurt either!

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Well done, Shoma! The jumps weren't the best today, but the 3A was lovely with a gorgeous entry and exit. The stsq and the final spin were beautiful. And all level 4! :agree: :hap10: Let the FS be good...

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Yamada is too exhausted by all the flying so she doesn't do it anymore? She's not the youngest coach around. The german commenters should know better by now, that Mihoko Higuchi is not Yamada. Yamada is a famous coach and she was around for a long time, so they must know that the lady who is with Shoma now is Mihoko Higuchi. But they seem as uninformed as the others as they always call her Yamada. And by the way, I love the stylish Mihoko. She's such a class act with her skaters. Makes me miss Nanami Abe, she and Yuzuru were such a dream team, too. *sigh*

The traveling is very tiring. Maybe when you're Shoma's age it's fun, but it gets old very fast! In the latest copy of International Figure Skating magazine, it says Coach Yamada is 73 years old and she skated during the 1960's. There is a quote in there from her that says "I did not enjoy skating because my coaches were very strict and I was afraid of them. That was the generation -- everyone was pretty much like that at the time." She seems to have a good relationship with her students. She was so cute at the Japan Open when she gave Shoma the hugest hug after he did his free skate.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I've done the translation from the Spanish commentary on Shoma's SP :)
P: And we're going to see, who I think will be the skater of the season. For a couple of years now, we've been saying "pay attention to Shoma Uno". The start of the season for him has been fabulous with that first place at SA, but particularly with incredible soundness and maturity. Last year he was 4th at 4 CC, we had the chance to see him at the GPF last December in Barcelona, he was 3rd. And two years ago he was first on the Junior level.
This is music that Machida used, and now he's "inherited" it
S: 4F....4T+3T combination

S: 3A
P: The best jump
S: How pretty.
S: Wow, what an edge quality....Nice entry into the combination spin

P: Well, well! And that is considering-
S: That he wasn't perfect.
P: The 4F and the combination weren't at 100%.
S: And even then, what a pretty program. So elegant, such edge quality, such technique. He's got very fast jump rotations and strength. And as you said, the landing of the 4F....4F! It's not 4T or 4S anymore, it's 4F
P: Look at the TES, Susana
S: The GOEs give a much higher value to the jump. He had a hand-down but it was gorgeous, anyway.
P: He's....he's a bit scary :)laugh:)
S: Yes, yes
P: He's scary

S: Here is the 4F, fully round. This is the combination, 4T, how did he fight to not leave it in a double and look for the triple we are seeing right now. This stopped him from having a clean landing. We see it again, a turnout on the 3T, this will be reflected in the GOEs. But we have to recognize his spins, flying camel level 4, sit-spin with a change of foot also level 4. And the combination spins, also level 4. He's got so much variation and difficulty that all his spins get level 4. What can we say about that 3A? Out of a spread-eagle and into a cantilever. What a good program, marvelous!

S: My, my, my. He's going to give us a lot to talk about this season.
P: This is a skater we'll need to have the spotlight on (keep an eye on). With a TES score of 54 points, without the program being 100% okay, because he saw the small mistakes he had there. PCS of 44, he got 9.00 in INT, came close in Choreography.
P: He had 89 as SB. Come on, even they were surprised by that super score. 98.59
S: Even though he had those mistakes on the jumps.

They are really surprised by Shoma and his technical prowess. When Javier skated, they insisted that Shoma was going to give a lot of trouble to the rest of the skaters, though it would be fantastic for him :biggrin:

Last edited:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/1001_ayano/status/794692657184313344

Today’s newspaper (nice photo!)

He is delighted at the high score, but he admits he had some mistakes. He realized the result of his practices which he’d done.
About the jumps, he failed but he managed to nail them, which gives him a certain sense of achievement.
He wants to go to final, but he doesnt care any result here. What he is aiming for is the performance which he can feel satisfied with.
--------------
Shoma is proceeding step by step at his own pace. What he does does not at all contradict what he says. I truly admire his attitude like that towards this sport. he shall learn somening new also tonight. Go shoma!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've done the translation from the Spanish commentary on Shoma's SP :)

Thx so much for that translation. I always love the commentary of Paloma and Susana. I was going to try to do it myself but found that I was too distracted by the music (and Shoma) and just couldn't. I like "me da miedito"! :laugh:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Congrats Shoma!!! Loved your LP as did the german commentators who are absolutely caught in your little web of awesomeness! Let's celebrate the GPF!!!! :party2:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Congrats shoma! i had tears in my eyes!
Your growth is just marverous!

Still he comments doesnt come. Provably the press conference starts now. Hope he is happy now!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Silver isn't the worst thing in the world! :hap10: My predictions were SO off, it didn't matter anyway. Congratulations, and on to the GPF! Free leg higher on the landings, please! :yes2:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats shoma! i had tears in my eyes!
Your growth is just marverous!

Still he comments doesnt come. Provably the press conference starts now. Hope he is happy now!

Will be interested to hear his remarks...The detail on those costumes is awesome. I'm sure you appreciate it fully if you are into sewing...That was his best for today. I really enjoy hearing what the commentators say about him. He will probably start out by saying 'I have regrets..." or "Mada mada". :bow:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Will be interested to hear his remarks...The detail on those costumes is awesome. I'm sure you appreciate it fully if you are into sewing...That was his best for today. I really enjoy hearing what the commentators say about him. He will probably start out by saying 'I have regrets..." or "Mada mada". :bow:

:drama: what is he saying? About him, i dont mind the result. he is sharply growing now and his physique and stamina are still on their way. So what’s important for me is his own view!
Personally, that he got 3A-1lo-3F very well is the best result for me. his fall 4t seemed painful, but his speed didnt change and he could recovery without bomb. Further, expression wise, he's improved himself since Skate America! i could feel the atmosphere of the venue.

-----------------
photos: http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/photonews/photonews_nsInc_1734192-0.html

Last edited:

SuzyQ

Medalist
Congratulations Shoma for the silver :yes2:

The live streaming did not work for me tonight (it did yesterday) :sad4:
So, I checked the video with some time lag, working on a bunch of assignment at home. It was a hard day :p

I heard Shoma might have a cold. (It seemed to me so too as he sniffed frequently after SP.) If so, he did very well in his not perfect condition.

I'm really looking forward to seeing his performance at GPF again. :hap10:

Last edited:

hamaguri

Record Breaker

im sure he is saying "Mada mada" like SP interview:biggrin: