Which discipline do you watch most often? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Which discipline do you watch most often?

desertskates

Medalist
Ladies, then men, pairs and dance.
Ladies got me hooked at first many years ago, but the men are equally interesting now. I've always enjoyed pairs, but it took me a while to be able to eyeball and understand certain elements. I've always watched dance, but have only really started to get a grasp on what judges are for in terms of scoring and overall quality. I'm a big fan of risk elements: mostly jumps, throws, and spins to a lesser degree.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
For most of my life I watched Ladies Figure Skating exclusively. This is back when Michelle Kwan ruled USA figure skating. I was really interested in Pairs Figure Skating during the time of Shen/Zao. I only got into Men figure skating recently because of Yuzuru Hanyu. I can't get behind Ice Dancing at all. Now days I pretty much only follow Men figure skating. Women if I find it on tv, but that's it.

berry8

Final Flight
Men, pairs and ladies... My brother and my parents who are not fans are mostly into pairs:)
My brother is crazy about the top ''Canadian pair'' : he used to love their LP last season...

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Nowadays I watch pairs and men the most often. And then dancing in order. ladies is the least exciting one for me now.

Barb

Record Breaker
Men, ladies and pairs can be fun or exciting to see who will fall or not in a jump but all the beauty of figure skating IMO concentrates on ice dancing. I notice it because I can see the top 5 in singles and pairs maybe, but I usually enjoy many more ice dance performances, even if they are not in the top 10.
Anyway, I really like all categories, I wish to watch each competitor in each competition of each category and read the threads of each one, but the truth is that it is very time-consuming :(, so I have to prioritize some.

1. Ice dance (in general they have the best skating, programs, costumes, music :love:)
2. Ladies
3. Men
4. Pairs

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Men, pairs and ladies... My brother and my parents who are not fans are mostly into pairs:)
My brother is crazy about the top ''Canadian pair'' : he used to love their LP last season...

So Meagan & Eric are loved by someone outside Canada after all. :sad4: :biggrin:

randomfan

Record Breaker
My order from most watched to least watched...
1. Obviously ladies :biggrin:
2. I get more interested in the men's field each season
3. I started to pay more attention to ice dance last season
4. I like pairs but I don't understand the elements that well

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I used to be all about the Ladies and often skipped Ice Dance but now the Ladies holds far less appeal, it feels formulaic and by the numbers. Never thought I'd be keener on Ice Dance but, hey! I like the idea that there's no foregone conclusion. But this will change in the next year or two I'm sure, that's how it goes with this sport.

lappo

Final Flight
I started watching ladies at the glorious time of Yuna/Mao battles...which is funny because now is the discipline I'm less interested in, I really hope that with next year new seniors I'll be able to enjoy it more.
Instead, I used to have small or absolutely no interest in the other three which are currently the one I'm more invested in (even though, I can't fully grasp all the Ice Dance levels, which makes me really unable to judge them on objective technical grounds...).

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
men!->women-> pairs->ice dance

The ice dance was one of my favorites in the past I think the golden age was the 90's. But the COP changed everything.... Only the top pairs are interesting for me. The others are too similar, boring, the pair has no freedom.

rugbyfan

On the Ice
Dance, Men, Pairs, Ladies (virtually not at all)
I am the total reverse of Plushyfan. Torvill and Dean got me into ice dancing when I was too young really to know anything but they mesmerised me. I lost interest almost completely with the retirement of Klimova and Ponomarenko and got back into it a little with Bourne and Kraatz Riverdance and began watching again more with COP and properly with the rise of V M; now I love ice dance again. On the other hand I watched almost every pairs program there was in the 1990s and have watched very few pairs since then. I can't think of a single pairs program that has really caught me since 2002 (though welcome to suggestions because I have faded out though still watch a bit). Ladies I have given up on. I miss the beauty of the spirals and consistency of knowing skaters and very few of them were really drawing me in with the result that I barely watch. I like Mao, am glad Carolina is coming back and am loving the rise of Osmond (who may draw me in), but on the whole I find them unexciting. Men's are probably the thing I have watched most consistently (though own bias, Chan not winning the gold in Sochi turned me off a bit because I so wanted it, not because I thought he should win there). Men's and dance seem to me the ones that have worked best with COP.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I'd never really followed FS aside from very casually watching some of it on TV. I think back then I watched Pairs and Ladies more. Recently, as I've become more of an active FS fan, my interests tend more towards Men (where all my anxieties go), then the Ladies and Pairs.

I confess I haven't yet found the interest to pay much attention to Ice Dance, not back then and not really now either.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Men! Love the spins, Spread Eagles, & Russian Split Jumps the most. Not obsessed with quads, though!

centerpt1

On the Ice
1 Dance
2 Pairs
3 Ladies
4 Men

I enjoy Dance-it is the most innovative. (I still miss the Compulsory dances though) Pairs is becoming more interesting. Ladies was never a favorite of mine but it's better than the current Men's situation. All of my favorite men retired - Takahashi, Oda, Kozuka, Abbott, J Ten, and I find no interest in watching the Men's event any more.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
they are even loved in Russia ... :roll5:

Give me receipts :devil:

Either way even though I am not their fan / don't root for them I appreciate & enjoy watching their skating despite certain things that bug me about these two.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Pairs

I am addicted to the throws.

I love throws too :luv17: I am surprised that so many people here don't follow pairs because they're frightening to watch :scratch2: I can get where it comes from but I still find it strange. At least I never came across this argument before. Another thing that I appreciate is ''open choreography'' moments as well as speed of top teams, like those in Sui / Han programs.

ragdoll

On the Ice
1 Pairs
2.Men
3.Dance
4.Ladies

The above is how I usually grade the disciplines but it sometimes depends on the skaters. Before the COP system I would have put dance ahead of men but I feel the COP system has destroyed ice dance. Now there are too many really ugly positions that have nothing to do with ice dance. Acrobatics does not belong in ice dance. Well... just my opinion.

nycgirl

Spectator
Country
Antigua-and-Barbuda
It used to be the ladies for me but now the men are getting more interesting. So my order of preference is:

1. Men
2. Ladies
3. Ice Dance (but it really is a close 2)
4. Pairs