Which discipline do you watch most often? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Which discipline do you watch most often?

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Used to be Ladies>Men>>>Pairs>Ice Dance. Because Mao brought me into this sport and I didn't know the technical stuffs of Dance.

Now, Ladies>Ice Dance>Men>Pairs. Thanks to SHibsibs' Coldplay FD. And I am starting to get tired of the Quads.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
For me it's definitely the men, it's been my favorite discipline to watch ever since I got into figure skating. Ladies and Ice dance are in a sort of 2nd place tie, and pairs is the one I watch the least, though I still enjoy it.
I went through an interesting shift in how much I enjoyed ice dance. At first I didn't really like it, mainly because it lacked the "flashy" jumps like the other disciplines do, and because I had (and still have) quite a hard time telling the elements apart in terms of levels. But I've come to love it :yes:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I've always watched just the women. I'd tune into the other disciplines every now and then but it was all about the ladies for me.

Now, especially with Chen, Hanyu, Uno, etc. and these quad battles, I'm really liking the men. I still love women's skating but with Evgenia dominating the sport it's actually become a bit boring. There's very little excitement at the big events because we already know who is going to win. With the men there are a number of people who can win and that makes it exciting. I'm really looking forward to this showdown for the men at worlds this year.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, I began watching skating way back in the 70's. The first skater I truly remember seeing is Peggy Fleming. She became quite famous and was on TV specials and commercials all the time. Janet Lynn also had several commercials and so did Dorothy Hamill. I don't really remember the Men being on TV like the ladies were. I think Scott Hamilton had some commercials but, it wasn't until the battle of the Brian's that the Men became a big deal.

I don't think Dance became a big deal in the US until Tanith and Ben came along. With pairs, the first couple I remember seeing on TV were Ken Shelly and Jojo Starbuck. But, I still think our most famous Pair couple was Tai and Randy.

I became obsessed with skating in 1991 after going to my first live event which was Skate America in 1991. My favorite live event was Worlds in 1999, followed closely by Junior and Senior Worlds in 2001. I've only been to Nationals once, in 2011 but I absolutely loved it. Skate Canada is the only GP event I've been to more than once. 1992 and 2010.

Here's Peggy Fleming's first TV Special after winning her OGM. It's very interesting to look back on those days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnyVYYFfMmk

Last edited:

QuadThrow

Medalist
I love throws too :luv17: I am surprised that so many people here don't follow pairs because they're frightening to watch :scratch2: I can get where it comes from but I still find it strange. At least I never came across this argument before. Another thing that I appreciate is ''open choreography'' moments as well as speed of top teams, like those in Sui / Han programs.

Good call.

I think it is very hard to create a good choreography for pairs. The partners have to act as one but need some distance for the elements.

The only shame is the firm setting of elements in each programs. Pairs need more freedom in their elements. Maybe they should be able to decide wether they want to show a DS or a spin.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
It used to be Dance.. but it has become quite monotonous the past 2-3 years. Now its definetly Men and Pairs with so much depth and excitement and variety of programs.

I always feel like a black sheep in these boards seeing the overwhelming attention ladiezzzzz get... That's the least interesting category for me.

That said for major championships (Euros, 4CC, Worlds , Olys) I had watched ALL evern lower ranked groups. The only exception was this year's 4CC with their awful camerawork.

Last edited:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Dance, men, pairs, ladies.

I originally started with pairs because of Gordeeva/Grinkov. Then ladies because of Sasha Cohen. Once I started ice dancing, I watched that because of realization of how difficult it was. So I love that, followed by the men, right now it is so thrilling because of Hanyu, Uno, and Chen. Can't wait for worlds!

andromache

Record Breaker
Seems to be less interest in pairs than in dance, contrary to what OP anticipated!

I find it so surprising, to be honest. (Though I do think there has been a struggle with injuries and a lack of clean performances in pairs). The variety of styles/programs in pairs is ridiculously good, and the programs this season are of very high quality.

If you're a non-pairs watcher, you just got to watch J/C's LP from Europeans. Tons of innovative choreography that every other discipline is lacking in right now.

padme21

On the Ice
When I was in grade school I watched Kwan on tv when we hosted the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics. I also watched the pairs scandal unfold. So in the past I watched ladies and pairs. Then I was introduced to ice dance when the U.S. won silver at the 2006 Winter Olympics. I used to watch figure skating every four years. Then in 2013 I watched Yuzuru Hanyu skate at SC and I was hooked. Never looked back. I also fell in love with ice dance again through the Shibutani's.

Most watched discipline:
1. Men
2. Ice Dance
3. Ladies
4. Pairs

breadstal

Record Breaker
Ladies, even at current state lol. I find ladies figure skating to be just really special, I don't really have a reason why though. I'm emotionally invested in supporting my faves, especially junior and Korean ladies :drama: Then Pairs and Men, I'm enjoying both of them. Ice Dance last, I only like ShibSibs these days.

SharonB

Spectator
I prefer to watch ice dancing, then pairs. Next would be ladies and last men. However, in my area of the US, the televised skating events are few and far between. This is such a shame. I don't recognize the majority of the skaters any more. I think the next Olympics will be my last because it just isn't fun any more.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Mens and Ladies, never been able to get into Dance and sometimes I don't mind watching pairs :)

guitarist

On the Ice
Men, mostly. Sometimes ladies, but at the moment there isn't anyone I'm a huge fan of. I don't watch ice dancing at all, but I watch pairs every once in a while.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For younger fans:

You'll be surprised at how much your interests change as you become more knowledgeable about the sport, and gain an eye for greatness.

I used to be a HUGE pairs fan, but hadn't watched anything consequential in 10 years. Now I'm a fan of two pairs, and will be watching them closely.

I used to never miss the ladies, but don't really care now.

I use to watch dance off and on, then obsessed during the Great Era of V/M and D/W. Now more tepid. Still a V/M fan.

Men... I've always watched the men. I haven't always been impressed, but I've generally always watched.

So, as you get older, you'll no doubt switch around. I'm a fickle fan in terms of which disciplines I like. I'm also fickle about which skaters I like.

My grip on any bandwagon is loose, so they better show me something good (or at least improvement) from year to year, or I'll SWIPE like you young people do on your dating apps.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^ the good thing with men is the "beauty points" there's at least that in at least 3 disciplines... (sorry ladies LOL... those who like ladies can say the reverse is true LOL)

Altie

On the Ice
When I was a child/teenager, I watched mostly Ice Dance and ladies (with my queen Surya Bonaly). I didn't really like men, and I think I didn't even know Pairs existed. I guess french TV didn't bradcast much pair competitions...

But now my favourite categories are men and pairs :). So, yeah, time can change everything. I watch a bit of Ice dance too, but I've tried ladies lately but couldn't get invested in any of them. I feel much more passionate about Wenjin Sui and Vanessa James than about any of the ladies' singles, tbh.

Ross74

Medalist
Men and Dance are probably tied for first. Up to a year ago, I would have said Men for sure, but the emphasis on quads is making me less interested. I used to like Pairs but there's just nobody that grabs me at the moment. Haven't been interested in Ladies for many a moon.