Which discipline do you watch most often? | Golden Skate

Which discipline do you watch most often?

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Which discipline you watch most often and is there any that you overlook? I know that there are people who don't care at all about Ice Dancing, shame on them :drama: :disapp: Have you ever lost your interest after your faves retired / made a break? I remember that I was not following Figure Skating almost at all in 2014/2015 season after Daisuke Takahashi, Mao Asada, Davis / White, Virtue Moir stopped.

For me it's pretty balanced as I watch them more or less equally and follow each one.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
The men, by far. I've tried to like ice dancing, and once in awhile I will see an interesting program, but the scoring is too complicated to figure out and all the sappy lyrical programs bore me to tears. Unfortunately, those seem to be the trend in pairs now, too. :scowl:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I know that there are people who don't care at all about Ice Dancing, shame on them :drama: :disapp:
:roll9: well....... I'll just go over there in my corner and be terribly ashamed of myself
:scard8:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Men and Ladies. The bias might partially have to do with Europsort's coverage. :eek:hwell:

IKR, Eurosport don't give a sh*t about Figure Skating anymore :rolleye: I remember when they postponed broadcast of some event with Pairs because some girls playing soccer in U19 category had extra time & penalties. :slink:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I definitely follow ice dance the most. And then probably men. Before this season I didn't follow ladies or pairs very much. I'm watching them a lot more this season, but pairs is the one I watch the least still. I did lose interest when V/M, Chiddy and D/W stopped competing, but Chiddy coming back made me start to pay attention again. V/M's announcement made me super into it again. I don't think I'll stop paying attention when Tessa and Scott retire for real because I'm paying more attention to all the disciplines more and the younger skaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Ice Dance then Men then Pairs. I find myself skipping ladies and not really missing it, which is funny because ladies skating is what made me a devout skating fan in the first place.

andromache

Record Breaker
Ladies.

I don't even enjoy them the most, but I am the most emotionally invested in them, for some reason. Guess I'm a typical American ;).

Really though, I love all the disciplines, including ice dance, though I don't know as much about it as I would like to. When ice dance is good (top 3-4 in the world), it's far better than the best of all the other disciplines. It's beautiful and sublime and absolutely marvelous. But aside from the upper-upper echelons, I get kind of bored.

Men are fun as heck to watch - even the ones who aren't even close to winning medals are fun as heck - but I'm not invested in any of them.

Top 10-15 pairs are fun as heck to watch and I'm emotionally invested in a few of them.

Ladies are fun but towards the top 10 I get too emotionally invested in how well they all do and being upset isn't that fun. :drama:

So for me it's very complicated.

blackey

On the Ice
used to be men. now it's dance. it's funny tho i used to be the one never care about dance at all, and now i'm so invested :drama:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ā›øļø
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Men, Dance, Pairs, Ladies: In that order.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
all :)

at one point, i had lost interest in pairs and dance but COP changed that for me

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
LOL I love ice dancing, but probably because I dance. Pairs are a bit scary to watch. Love watching men, but ladies bore me at the moment. Evgenia is a machine (bless her), but she doesn't have the It factor for me. Tight competition (as in dance and men) is essential to keep me motivated.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
For my whole life it has been ladies that i watched the most but this season I have watched more mens than any other discipline.

I think having Gracie out this season made it difficult for me to want to pay attention to the ladies events and the men have just been so dang good this season. I am most excited for the mens event at worlds.

I always watch ice dance. I rarely watch pairs, it actually legit frightens me.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Hm...It's pretty balanced for me across all 4 disciplines.

The men's I watch with both eyes closed. :hopelessness:
The ladies I watch with both eyes opened. :coffee:
Pairs and Dance I watch with one eye open and one eye closed lol

carmina

On the Ice
I used to prefer men to watch...then dance pairs
usually avoid to watch ladies until medvedeva, she has something - don't know what but you can't avoid her :confused2: so now ladies is my favorite

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Men. Period.

Since Toller, and as long as some "five Toller" skaters still skate....

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Always loved the pairs. I think it was the great Russian pairs who drew me in, and also the riskiness of their elements. Then in 2014 a certain young man skated an incredible Riverdance (yes, that would be Jason!), and I was interested in the men's event all over again.

So my top faves now are men's and pairs. I have some favorites in the Ladies, but overall they just don't do all that much for me. Find myself becoming less and less interested in dance which is strange, considering how many wonderful teams the U.S. has...So men's, pairs, ladies, dance.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Men, Ladies, Ice Dance and Pairs, in this order.

First I watched the ladies (Kwan/Slutskaya golden era), then came Plushenko and I started to watch the men's competitions too. From the 2002 Olympics I started to follow Ice Dance as well, but I didn't understand the rules at all (I still don't know much about it honestly lol).

I didn't care about Pairs for a very long time..I think I watch them since 2010 or so.

I really liked men's skating in mid-2000s, and it took me some time to get over the retirement of Kwan, Slutskaya or Cohen after 2005-2006. With one exception, that was the only period when I liked men's skating as much as the ladies. Then, during the Yuna vs Mao golden era and since Yuna's comeback I enjoyed watching the ladies more.
Which then all changed after Sochi. Although the ladies competitions are very good and their field is deep since years now, in my opinion, nothing comes close to the excitement of the men's competitions.

So it's

Men
Ladies
Ice Dance
Pairs

to me right now.

Last edited: