Which discipline do you watch most often? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which discipline do you watch most often?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I have favorites in each discipline but right know this is what I enjoy the most.

1. Ice dance followed closely by
2. Men
3. Pairs
4. Ladies. Other than Mao, Caro, Anna P. Ashley and Satoko I am not very interested in this discipline right now.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Dance. Dance has been my favorite discipline since 1998.

I watch all three disciplines, but generally skip the pairs at the junior level.

I would say my favorite disciplines go in the following order:
1. Dance. I watch it all. I enjoy it all.
2. Men. I find the men exciting right now because I never know who will win or where the athletes will place. (I didn't care for it when Patrick was winning everything despite mistakes between 2011-2013, but I really enjoy it now with so many guys at the top & pushing one another). At least I enjoy the events where at least someone skates well.
3. Pairs & ladies. It depends. I really enjoy the top international pairs events. Pairs is a weakness at U.S. Nationals so I prefer pairs in international competitions. I preferred Mao, Carolina, & Adelina's performance quality over the top-placing ladies right now; but I'm glad to still see two of them competing. I also enjoy Elizabet, Karen, Gubanova, and several of the junior Korean & Japanese ladies.

My interest level in the sport varies, but I have followed it consistently since 1988.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Men and ladies equally.

Then pairs.

I am completely burned out on dance and it's quite rare I watch, I mostly catch up on YT on the few things I want to see and that's that.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Watch all disciplines equally with special favorites in each.. Love the drama, music, beauty of ice dance, enjoy energy, power, drive, crisp choreo of men, lyrical beauty, grace, elegance of ladies, and athleticism and the "wow" factor of pairs... and, I have learned a lot about the sport thru watching each discipline with avid interest.. I enjoy juniors as well as seniors

Hannah555

Ava artwork by talented ShampooNeko
Final Flight
From a novice FS fan:

Men (Started with Yuzu)
Ladies
Pairs
Ice Dance

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Always loved the pairs. I think it was the great Russian pairs who drew me in, and also the riskiness of their elements. Then in 2014 a certain young man skated an incredible Riverdance (yes, that would be Jason!), and I was interested in the men's event all over again.

So my top faves now are men's and pairs. I have some favorites in the Ladies, but overall they just don't do all that much for me. Find myself becoming less and less interested in dance which is strange, considering how many wonderful teams the U.S. has...So men's, pairs, ladies, dance.

In the past pairs were my favourite discipline as Poland had one of the best teams - Siudek / ZagĆ³rska (later Siudek after marriage). Around 2014 my interest started to dwindle but I became interested again (not to the extent of 00s though). That having said I am really looking forward to Helsinki, I think the winner place is open this year and pairs can do breathtaking programs after all.

charmblade

Final Flight
I have watched men and ladies for most of my life, with a slowdown in my busy college years starting in 2004. I usually kept up with US Nats, Worlds, and Olympics at a minimum though. I never really watched pairs or dance outside of the Olympics. I moved to Boston shortly before 2014 Nationals and knew that I would be attending, so I made a real effort to start following the sport more closely starting at the beginning of the 2013-2014 season (plus, it was the Olympic year!), but still mostly watched men and ladies. But then I found this wonderful skating forum called GoldenSkate and really began to learn so much about the sport, the scoring, the athletes, etc. By the time the 2014 Olympics came around I watched all 4 disciplines and haven't slowed down since.

I would still say I mostly watch the singles disciplines but I also always watch pairs and ice dance, just sometimes not watching as many of the earlier groups in the larger competitions.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Men and Ice Dance are my favorites, though Pairs' stock for me is rising thanks to some high caliber teams and some awesome up-and-comers.

Like some, my entry point into figure skating was Ladies, namely Kristi Yamaguchi/Midori Ito/Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan in 1991 Worlds. However, with a few exceptions, they're sort of zzzzz for me now.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the past pairs were my favourite discipline as Poland had one of the best teams - Siudek / ZagĆ³rska (later Siudek after marriage). Around 2014 my interest started to dwindle but I became interested again (not to the extent of 00s though). That having said I am really looking forward to Helsinki, I think the winner place is open this year and pairs can do breathtaking programs after all.

For me there has always been something so captivating about pairs. And a long time ago, for me pairs was the riskiest discipline, which is why I think I liked it. At this point, the men are now the riskiest, and maybe not in a good way. So I kind of flit between the two. Although the U.S. has never been really strong in pairs, that never kept me from enjoying it. Still remember U.S. pairs Babilonia & Gardner (boo hoo), Meno & Sand, and so many others. It's so great that John Coughlin who won several titles now does some of the commentary. He's so enjoyable...I think the pairs competition in Helsinki is going to be great. Really looking forward to it.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pairs, then dance, then men and ladies. Pairs is my favorite, especially junior pairs. They're just too cute.

Rissa

Record Breaker
1. Men 2. Ladies 3. Pairs 4. Dance

20 years ago the order used to be vey different: Dance, Pairs, Men and all ladies with the exception of Surya Bonaly bored me. I think the new judging system benefited singles a lot and didn't harm Pairs but made Dance program too similar and less exciting to watch.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Men, with dance being a close second. Ladies absolutely bores me to tears. I've enjoyed some pairs in the past, but haven't followed it much in recent years. However, after watching Sui/Han at 4CC, I'm looking forward to seeing how they do at Worlds.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Dance, Men, Pairs, Women.

I used to be all about the women, but now for the most part they bore me. Of the four disciplines, they have stagnated, whilst the other three have really made great technical strides the last two quads.

IJS has done WONDERS for dance. It used to be a snoozefest. I have always loved ID, snoozefest or not, but for decades it was about as predictable as "the sun sets in the west." It was all about The TraumaDraman (or, occasional, the We're Here To Charm You!), but the content was often as light as a merringue. It used to be a truism that nobody fell at an ID event. Not anymore kiddies. The content has gotten beefred up considerably. You can't win anymore by just mugging your way through a program. And while the top three may be pretty well set at this point barring any major mistakes, the top ten (heck, top 15) is anyone's guess. You have to love a discipline where a World Championship was decided by one/one hundredth of a point.

Good thing I stopped biting my nails!

Last edited:

AppleEmperor

On the Ice
For me, it's

Men > Dance >>>> Ladies > Pairs

Men are so exciting to watch these days! You can see the history being made at every competition. Ice Dance is relatively stress-free, so I can safely cheer for all my faves. And when it's good, it's so beautiful to watch. I used to like ladies a lot, but now it kind of bores me save for a few select faves. Pairs is so scary!! I only watch a few teams.

meem

On the Ice
Ice Dance
Ladies
Pairs
Men

I used to love pairs: Tai & Randy; Kristi & Rudi; Jamie & David; Kalesavich & Parchem; Steigler & Zimmerman; and Mishkutionok & Dmitriev. Then, this discipline got to be too stressful for me to enjoy watching (the side by side jumps, IMO, should only be doubles as these athletes have enough other risky elements to master). Maybe that's why I began to really enjoy ice dancing--not as many disappointing programs (falls). I'm selective re: which ladies I'll watch as some have such boring programs. Men? Although I realize this is a sport and it must push forward, the multiple quads are removing whatever used to be interesting, to me, from men's.

Men.. Ladies... Ice Dance... Pairs

Men: I always look forward to this event because the current field is exciting to watch. World records being broken, quad battles, interesting music and choreo.. Even though we have incredible big names in this field, it's still hard to predict who's gonna win. And that makes it really exciting and fun to watch.

Ladies: Contrary to men's, this discipline is kinda predictable nowadays. Evgenia is a great jumper, but I just don't see the spark or that certain quality that other famous lady skaters have (like Yuna Kim and Mao Asada, for example). From the current field, I only see a few skaters with the right balance of technical skills and artistry.

Ice Dance: I never really paid attention to this discipline until only last season. I am loving the Americans/Canadians in particular. I am keeping an eye on this event, but not really following it closely.

Pairs: I glance at the videos once in a while but I really feel scared.. so I just don't watch the whole event at all :scratch2:

winky97

Medalist
The ladies and men, but this year less ladies. Don't really like the direction it's been going.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ice Dance
Ladies
Pairs
Men

I used to love pairs: Tai & Randy; Kristi & Rudi; Jamie & David; Kalesavich & Parchem; Steigler & Zimmerman; and Mishkutionok & Dmitriev. Then, this discipline got to be too stressful for me to enjoy watching (the side by side jumps, IMO, should only be doubles as these athletes have enough other risky elements to master). Maybe that's why I began to really enjoy ice dancing--not as many disappointing programs (falls). I'm selective re: which ladies I'll watch as some have such boring programs. Men? Although I realize this is a sport and it must push forward, the multiple quads are removing whatever used to be interesting, to me, from men's.

I was just watching G & G's Calgary Olympics programs and thinking this exact same thing.