2017 Worlds Pairs SP | Page 63 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Pairs SP

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Two Russian and two Chinese pairs in top5. Nothing really changed, did it? ;)

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
For fun, 2018 Olympic and Worlds spots if the SP standings were the final standings:

3 spots

China (1 + 4 = 5)
Russia (3 + 5 = 8)
Canada (6 + 7 = 13)

2 spots

Germany (2 + 18 = 20)
USA (8 + 18 = 26)
Italy (9 + 11 = 20)
France (10 + 18 = 28)

Olympic Spots (16 determined here out of 20 total, remaining 4 at Nebelhorn)

(1) China
(2) China
(3) China
(4) Russia
(5) Russia
(6) Russia
(7) Canada
(8) Canada
(9) Canada
(10) Germany
(11) Germany
(12) USA
(13) USA
(14) Italy
(15) Italy
(16) France

Technically there's only 16 quota spots from Worlds and there's no clear detail on what happens if the spots based on Multiple Spot Allotment exceeds 16. Either France, as the last country right now, would only get one spot (which seems dumb) or only 3 spots would be available at Nebelhorn (which also seems dumb).

ETA: Thank you new member ivanja for leading me to the answer that I somehow missed the other day when looking for it.

According to the ISU Special Regulations and Technical Rules document,

If the application of the above procedure results in
more than twenty-four (24) Ladies or Men, sixteen (16) Pairs, or nineteen
(19) Ice Dance Couples being eligible for direct entry, the last ISU Members
to reach the qualifying limit would not be permitted to enter a
Skater/Pair/Couple that would cause the limit to be exceeded

So if after the FS, there are still 17 pairs "qualified" based on multiple spot allotment, the last ranked country to reach their multiple spots would not get their extra spot.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Canada is right on the bubble for three spots which is NOT something I'm happy to see...

Greta

On the Ice
I really wish the first four not to qualify could skate in the free too. I enjoyed all of them.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Its so bad the Japanese team won't qualify because of S/k who don't even want to be there and want to retire and even when they withdraw they wouldn't get to skate the fs! So unfair.

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Oh great. My tacky guilty pleasure pleasure team is in 7th and apparently Michelle Kwan is getting a divorce.

But at least Duskova & Bidar and Windsor & Alexandrovskaya qualified for the free (over the second American team... :slink:)! The USFS did right sending the Knierims here.

Woo!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Hang on. Just spotted something in the comments.

So Evgenia and Eric are injured. Didn't realise that.

That puts a different perspective on those last two performances.

Chris worked out that Eric was injured, but didn't with Evgenia.

3[SUP]rd[/SUP] and 7[SUP]th[/SUP] are pretty good then.

Well done!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This Pairs event reminded me of the Ladies SP last year in Boston. Clean skate after clean skate. The ladies event last year may have been the best in history.

xabia

On the Ice
Ryom & Kim only 14th? For me they were the big surprise of the evening and should have been higher up the table.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I really wish the first four not to qualify could skate in the free too. I enjoyed all of them.

The issue with adding more groups to the FS is that they'd have to add another zamboni break too, since only 4 pairs can be in a warmup group for safety. It'll take some finagling to work out timing schedules for that.

(I want more pairs in the FS too. Maybe this event will kick them into gear to figure something out for after the Olympics!)