Yuzuru Hanyu: 2016-17 Season | Page 1231 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2016-17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcq

Record Breaker
Tracy wilson interviewed by Scott Hamilton (4 world champion and 1984 OGM)
mentioned of Yuzuru will edit later, watching the video now :p

-she enjoyed being rinkside
- really good interview about tracy, she shared her love of skating and how she tried to remind her skaters to love skating :)
-Scott asked about the dynamic of the rink (esp between Yuzu and Javi) Tracy answered : opposites attract :laugh: they pushed each other, without having it taking over, they respect each other (nothing new ofc lol) Yuzu is passionate and fiery and watching Javi really helps him, they benefit from each other. they realized where the sport is going.
- Scott thought they hangout together lmao and Tracy was like lol nope they are kind of very different but they still get along. Tracy shared a heartfelt moment between Yuzu and Javi. :p She said there are moments of tenderness and kindness. Javi and Yuzu will know when the others are having "that kind of a day", for example it could be that moment when Yuzu would walk over to Javi and sort of bow or pat him on the back or trying to make him laugh or when they were trying to pick each other up when they fell.
- Scott commend how difficult it is to have top 2 skaters training together and that he knew it is not going to workout in a different rink. Calling it phenomenal.

So far nothing relly new, but interesting to listen about Tracy experience as a coach and broadcaster.

Last edited:

YuzusHydroblade

Match Penalty
Last edited:

shyne

Final Flight
Maybe that's why Mishin(?) conveniently forgot about that too, when he said he has never seen Yuzu produce a clean FS like at Worlds?

Was he not at GPF16? I guess not, since none of his students made it to that competition.

sweetwater

On the Ice
Translated an article released after FS. It’s about a week from its release so it has become rather old since newer interviews have been shared, but I kind of promised to translate it in my last post, so I’m going to post it regardless of timing. (Sorry for being late and sorry if I interrupt an invisible conversation!)
Warning: It’s not translated in word-for-word manner. Some of the texts are paraphrased from the original.

Original article: <世界フィギュア>羽生「殻破った」 フリー歴代最高点
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170401-00000128-mai-spo

Translation:
<World Figure Skating Championships 2017> Hanyu “broke out of his shell” getting highest ever score in free skating

Mainichi Shinbun, April 1st , 2017
By Chisa Fukuda, from Helsinki

At World Figure Skating Championships, men’s free skating was concluded on April 1st, and Yuzuru Hanyu (ANA) came from 5th place after the short program to come out on top again after 3 years. He overwhelmed others in free skating scoring 223.20 which was the highest ever score, and earned 321.59 in total. He medaled four consecutive years at Worlds and this was his fifth World medal.

(Omitted 2nd and 3rd paragraph since they are summary of other skaters’ results.)

Skating in state of anatman

The quad-Salchow-triple-toe combination in the second half was the key to the program, and Hanyu landed it for the first time in this season. He felt that he was getting close to nothingness as he nailed each jump.

After he finished his last spin, he pointed to the sky. He looked fierce but satisfied. For the first time in this season he could deliver a perfect program. He nervously waited for his score praying it would break his record even by a point or a half point, and he broke into a smile when it did.

Missing this combination in the short program made him feel “depressed so much that he could not bounce back,” but he carefully checked his form and entrance to the Salchow and nailed it without wavering in the free program. “I’m tired, but I could focus on each moment and devote myself to expressing, so much that I could not remember what I did,” he said with satisfaction.

The music of the free program “Hope & Legacy” is calm, so when the performance is off, the program becomes less exciting. Until 4CC he had not been able to deliver it perfectly, therefore it had not been highly appreciated. After he lost to Chen at 4CC, even program change was taken into consideration. However, he pledged to land all the jumps and stuck to the music he chose, and kept the pledge.

This season he has been confronted by challenges at each competition. “My past self was my biggest obsession. 220 points in the free, 330 as total score, 110 points in the short. I have been struggling with those numbers and the fear caused by them, and I broke out of my shell a little bit.” The trials he went through brought him the joy at the biggest moment. “It’s so fun to skate the free program at Worlds,” he could feel from the bottom of his heart.

Last edited:

YuzusHydroblade

Match Penalty
Translated an article released after FS. It’s about a week from its release so it has become rather old since newer interviews have been shared, but I kind of promised to translate it in my last post, so I’m going to post it regardless of timing. (Sorry for being late and sorry if I interrupt an invisible conversation!)
Warning: It’s not translated in word-for-word manner. Some of the texts are paraphrased from the original.

Original article: <世界フィギュア>羽生「殻破った」 フリー歴代最高点
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170401-00000128-mai-spo

Translation:
<World Figure Skating Championships 2017> Hanyu “broke out of his shell” getting highest ever score in free skating

Mainichi Shinbun, April 1st , 2017

By Chisa Fukuda, from Helsinki
At World Figure Skating Championships, men’s free skating was concluded on April 1st, and Yuzuru Hanyu (ANA) came from 5th place after the short program to come out on top again after 3 years. He overwhelmed others in free skating scoring 223.20 which was the highest ever score, and earned 321.59 in total. He medaled four consecutive years at Worlds and this was his fifth World medal.

(Omitted 2nd and 3rd paragraph since they are summary of other skaters’ results.)

Skating in state of anatman

The quad-Salchow-triple-toe combination in the second half was the key to the program, and Hanyu landed it for the first time in this season. He felt that he was getting close to nothingness as he nailed each jump.

After he finished his last spin, he pointed to the sky. He looked fierce but satisfied. For the first time in this season he could deliver a perfect program. He nervously waited for his score praying it would break his record even by a point or a half point, and he broke into a smile when it did.

Missing this combination in the short program made him feel “depressed so much that he could not bounce back,” but he carefully checked his form and entrance to the Salchow and nailed it without wavering in the free program. “I’m tired, but I could focus on each moment and devote myself to expressing, so much that I could not remember what I did,” he said with satisfaction.

The music of the free program “Hope & Legacy” is calm, so when the performance is off, the program becomes less exciting. Until 4CC he had not been able to deliver it perfectly, therefore it had not been highly appreciated. After he lost to Chen at 4CC, even program change was taken into consideration. However, he pledged to land all the jumps and stuck to the music he chose, and kept the pledge.

This season he has been confronted by challenges at each competition. “My past self was my biggest obsession. 220 points in the free, 330 as total score, 110 points in the short. I have been struggling with those numbers and the fear caused by them, and I broke out of my sell a little bit.” The trials he went through brought him the joy at the biggest moment. “It’s so fun to skate the free program at Worlds,” he felt from the bottom of his heart.

If anything, i apologize if the invisible conversations interrupt more productive topics :p
It makes me a bit sad because i feel like he was really losing confidence after 4cc and he broke after the short at World's :c
I'm happy that Team Hanyu found the way to bring him up after that.
Also, it sounds like he felt he had to break at least one of his records...
Makes me admire his mental strength even more, he must have felt so much pressure coming from him, and i can't imagine what he felt when he realized that H&L wasn't being appreciated as much as he would have wanted to (since it's a personal program)...
And even with all that, he delivered a memorable performance :luv17:

Last edited:

mcq

Record Breaker
This season he has been confronted by challenges at each competition. “My past self was my biggest obsession. 220 points in the free, 330 as total score, 110 points in the short. I have been struggling with those numbers and the fear caused by them, and I broke out of my sell a little bit.” The trials he went through brought him the joy at the biggest moment. “It’s so fun to skate the free program at Worlds,” he could feel from the bottom of his heart.

You know, in a sense, I am glad that there are youngsters breathing on his neck trying to surpass him, because that means he would be freed from his past world records and have a more tangible rival he could try to defeat other than the ghost of his past-self. :)

sweetwater

On the Ice
If anything, i apologize if the invisible conversations interrupt more productive topics :p
It makes me a bit sad because i feel like he was really losing confidence after 4cc and he broke after the short at World's :c
I'm happy that Team Hanyu found the way to bring him up after that.
Also, it sounds like he felt he had to break at least one of his records...
Makes me admire his mental strength even more, he must have felt so much pressure coming from him, and i can't imagine what he felt when he realized that H&L wasn't being appreciated as much as he would have wanted to (since it's a personal program)...
And even with all that, he delivered a memorable performance :luv17:
Oh no, don’t apologize. Thank you for reading.:thank:
By the way have you seen this? When I found this video I thought of you.

You know, in a sense, I am glad that there are youngsters breathing on his neck trying to surpass him, because that means he would be freed from his past world records and have a more tangible rival he could try to defeat other than the ghost of his past-self. :)
I agree. Besides, he always welcomes new rivals and it looks so genuine. Maybe having new rivals gives him new motivations and perspectives??

Status
Not open for further replies.