2016-17 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 94 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Russian Ladies skating

andromache

Record Breaker
Wow, wasn't expecting this. So now she's training with Maria at CSKA...Considering the circumstances, it seems like a smart politicking move. :eek:hwell:

Smart politicking, and training alongside her competition will elevate both of their skating, IMO.

Plus, Elena has really stopped progressing meaningfully since 2014-2015. She's broadened her range artistically by taking on different types of programs, but they were mostly pretty tacky. She really needs a coach to polish and refine her.

And re: Elena and Maria - each seems to possess what the other lacks. Elena has grit, fire, and charisma; Maria has softness and sophistication and excellent posture. They'll be good for each other.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Plus, Elena has really stopped progressing meaningfully since 2014-2015. She's broadened her range artistically by taking on different types of programs, but they were mostly pretty tacky. She really needs a coach to polish and refine her.

Agreed. Hopefully her arm movements and posture improves. Buianova has people there who can work all day everyday on this.

Tutto

Record Breaker
There are some speculations that the move is actually due to poor health of Inna and on her own suggestion. I wonder if it is true what would happen to Kovtun, I don't see Buianova taking him back?

andromache

Record Breaker
There are some speculations that the move is actually due to poor health of Inna and on her own suggestion. I wonder if it is true what would happen to Kovtun, I don't see Buianova taking him back?

Aww - if that is the case, it is very sad. :(

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
And in regards of Worlds can we really say that Kaetlyn is better skater than Pogorilaya taking whole season into consideration?

IMHO, yes, we can say that Kaetlyn is a better skater, given the two went head to head 3 times in comps this year, with Kaetlyn besting Anna, 2/3 times, (including winning 2/3 of the SP's and the LP's). For me the major difference is, even when they falter, Kaetlyn never lets an error define the program and completes her performances as if nothing happened, where Anna tends to collapse and gives up. The ability to compete irrespective of an error (Janet Lynn), is the mark of a true champion.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
IMHO, yes, we can say that Kaetlyn is a better skater, given the two went head to head 3 times in comps this year, with Kaetlyn besting Anna, 2/3 times, (including winning 2/3 of the SP's and the LP's). For me the major difference is, even when they falter, Kaetlyn never lets an error define the program and completes her performances as if nothing happened, where Anna tends to collapse and gives up. The ability to compete irrespective of an error (Janet Lynn), is the mark of a true champion.

Ehhhh, I don't know if we can say that Kaetlyn is the better skater based on this one season. Kaetlyn was a little more up and down, whereas Anna was fairly steady up until the Worlds LP meltdown. Aside from that single meltdown, Anna did not let the smaller mistakes she made throughout the season ruin her performances.

Anna has a somewhat stronger body of work than Kaetlyn, though that's rather by default because of Kaetlyn's injury. But even so, that matters a bit. (In either case, both girls have had their ups and downs, which makes them so compelling as athletes - neither has had an easy road.)

I'd probably give Kaetlyn a slight edge over Anna because Kaetlyn is a better spinner. But I don't think one meltdown from Anna is enough to say that she is a weaker skater than Kaetlyn.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
According to Eteri Evgenia already had her growth sprout. She has always been small girl. Puberty is something every skater has to survive, not only Russian ladies. Kanako Murakami was great during her junior years and first season as senior and later she struggled seriously. Elena had rough time but she won CoC for God's sake and qualified for GP Final. And Yulia's problem were more mental/emotional than physical not to mention she was in conflict with Eteri. And in regards of Worlds can we really say that Kaetlyn is better skater than Pogorilaya taking whole season into consideration?

It's close imo. I would say yes, and here's why: They faced each other 3 times, Kaetlyn won two. One is Finlandia, early on, we can ignore that one. Then it's GPF and Worlds. We know what happened at Worlds. At GPF, Kaetlyn won the SP and made enough mistakes in free to fall to fourth, which happened several times in the season. A lot of people were saying they thought the judges saw Kaetlyn as the second lady if she was clean given the scores she was getting with mistakes, and up until Worlds, what Anna had over her was consistency. She was more solid, so she was getting better results, which is fair. But then Worlds happened, making the consistency a big question mark again and my impression would be that if both make mistakes or both are clean, Kaetlyn's likely to come out on top. I can see the argument the other way, but that's my take. Especially since Kaetlyn was still improving her stamina and fitness over the course of the season because that leg injury had a long recovery period. YMMV

atsumiri

Record Breaker

i would put Anna over Kaetlyn. exapt of WC. She was way more stable.

Anna - CoR - 1st - 215.21
Kaetlyn - SC - 2nd - 206.45

Anna - NHK - 1st - 210.86
Kaetlyn - CoC - 2nd - 196.00

Anna - GPF - 3rd - 216.47
Kaetlyn - GPF - 4th - 212.45

Anna - EC - 2nd - 211.39
Kaetlyn - FCC - - 4th - 184.17

Kaetlyn - WC - 2nd - 218.13
Anna - WC - 13th - 183.37

Anna was way more stable. Even their 184 and 183 Anna's from WC, and Kaetlyn's from FCC are comparable... all other cases Anna won. :rolleye: