Elena Ilinykh & Ruslan Zhiganshin | Page 474 | Golden Skate

Elena Ilinykh & Ruslan Zhiganshin

Mattieu

Medalist
I am in morning, very reliable sources say that Ruslena is no more, and the only reason there has been no official announcement, is they want to keep getting their funding until the end of the season ::sad4:

I can not believe we never see Elena again on the ice, she is only 23, what great loss to Ice Dance, a truly great diva :(

I was never a fan of Ruslan, but that is equally sad to have his career ended by injury.

So that leaves just 4 Senior teams, 3 of which are with one coach, kinda imbalanced?

Last edited:

Marta25

Medalist
I am in morning, very reliable sources say that Ruslena is no more, and the only reason there has been no official announcement, is they want to keep getting their funding until the end of the season ::sad4:

I can not believe we never see Elena again on the ice, she is only 23, what great loss to Ice Dance, a truly great diva :(

I was never a fan of Ruslan, but that is equally sad to have his career ended by injury.

So that leaves just 4 Senior teams, 3 of which are with one coach, kinda imbalanced?

No offense but I would rather wait for an official announcement. Maybe I`m in denial, but hope dies last as they say.

Mattieu

Medalist
No offense but I would rather wait for an official announcement. Maybe I`m in denial, but hope dies last as they say.

I don't think you will have to wait long now.

My sources also tell me that all is not happy famillies in Zhulin camp.
I'm not surprised, as despite the happy Instagram photos, I can't imagine B/S be very happy about the arrival of someone which beat them in Sochi.
To my mind Zhulin is playing a dangerous game there, diluting the chances of both teams.

Last edited:

madison

Record Breaker
I don't think you will have to wait long now.

My sources also tell me that all is not happy famillies in Zhulin camp.
I'm not surprised, as despite the happy Instagram photos, I can't imagine B/S be very happy about the arrival of someone which beat them in Sochi.
To my mind Zhulin is playing a dangerous game there, diluting the chances of both teams.
I think Zhulin thinks after 2018, when B/S will retire or at best, according to their declarations, will have a longer pause.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I wouldn't be surprised if Elena and Ruslan split - after their first season (and with the exception of last season's SD), it seemed they just couldn't get it together when it mattered plus had packaging that just didn't work. I'd be sad for them though, IMO they have/had big potential.

Marta25

Medalist
I wouldn't be surprised if Elena and Ruslan split - after their first season (and with the exception of last season's SD), it seemed they just couldn't get it together when it mattered plus had packaging that just didn't work. I'd be sad for them though, IMO they have/had big potential.

I would be heartbroken if they split up but right now I would prefer that over retirement. If there is a split I hope they will give each other a year before retiring, because they could either reconsider or there will may be other opportunites/partners for them after the Olympic season.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker

Wow this is sad...
Are we sure both are stopping ? Doesn't Elena want to go on with someone else ?
I know nothing is official but the skating world isn't that big and knowing some sources myself I'm guessing you're right.

Mattieu

Medalist
Wow this is sad...
Are we sure both are stopping ? Doesn't Elena want to go on with someone else ?
I know nothing is official but the skating world isn't that big and knowing some sources myself I'm guessing you're right.

I heard she does want to continue, but there is no one. That is why I think the rumours about her trying again with Nikita are true.
Though the rumours also say it didn't work, but no ideas why.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I heard she does want to continue, but there is no one. That is why I think the rumours about her trying again with Nikita are true.
Though the rumours also say it didn't work, but no ideas why.

TSL launched that rumor but let's be honest they have a ton of reliable sources and they're not usually wrong.

She could switch countries, she hasn't competed since december (november if you don't count russian nationals). Or represent Kazakhstan. Take the time with someone new, work hard and make it to the the games in 2022. I'm sure a lot of men would be willing to even come out of retirement for her.

Mattieu

Medalist
TSL launched that rumor but let's be honest they have a ton of reliable sources and they're not usually wrong.

She could switch countries, she hasn't competed since december (november if you don't count russian nationals). Or represent Kazakhstan. Take the time with someone new, work hard and make it to the the games in 2022. I'm sure a lot of men would be willing to even come out of retirement for her.

I don't think Russia would let her go, she is a Olympic medalist

olayolay

On the Ice
Would Kirill Khalavian drop Sara Hurtado to skate with her? He's not getting Spanish citizenship any time soon and the Spanish fed really pulled the wool over their eyes when they let Smart/Diaz go to Worlds over them.

Marta25

Medalist
Would Kirill Khalavian drop Sara Hurtado to skate with her? He's not getting Spanish citizenship any time soon and the Spanish fed really pulled the wool over their eyes when they let Smart/Diaz go to Worlds over them.
That's exactly why the constant calls for Elena to dump Ruslan were so shortsighted. The truth is that if Ruslan retires, there is nobody who is free and remotely close to her level she can skate with. People liked to pretend that the moment she leaves Ruslan, there would be an army of guys for her to chose from. The reality is that her only hope is that after the Olympics there might be some options opening up for her, otherwise her career will end similar to Khokhlova's.

Last edited:

Marta25

Medalist
All kinds of sad...
:(:sad21::cry::sad4:
NO
:no:
say it ain't so :slink:
The rumors are rather persistent that they are done, but so were last year`s rumors about Yanovskaya supposedly retiring because of injuries and that`s the tiny hope I`m still clinging to. According to IZ`s official vk group the Kustarova team is on holidays until June, so hopefully we will get news when they are back.