2017 GPF Free Dance | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Free Dance

NicolettaL

Final Flight
Oh ok good, both Step sequences of P/C got dropped. I feel a bit better about that. But that PCS is way over the top. Sorry, P/C shouldn’t be getting a perfect 10 in interpretation of the music when their skating mood doesn’t change between the sections. That Presto needs an obvious and impactful mood shift, and they don’t get there. This isn’t to say they don’t go a great job overall, but not to the PCS levels they are getting. While some may loathe Moulin Rouge, Tessa and Scott interpret the music and mood correctly, and were rewarded as such. And those GOE? Nope. Both the Step sequences and lifts should be behind V/M in GOE. I never thought I would be pushing V/M as the best Dance team, I very much preferred Davis/White in their rivalry, but here I am. This is politicking at its finest. This just feels like a coronation, NOT a competition.
Their lifts should not be rewarded with higher goe than V/M? May I know why?

rosy14

Final Flight
I just love how different the three Montreal teams are--each have their own style, all beautiful and thoroughly enjoyable in their own way.

To be fair, Tessa and Scott formed themselves as skaters not in Montreal, and their programmes of this year and last year, both, are not choreographed by Marie-France. They train there. And it’s quite evident.

rosy14

Final Flight
Well...what do Tessa and Scott do here? It seems with both teams skating 2 pretty clean programs each the judges are with the French. Do they change anything...musical edits in the current FD, go back to an old program?.....Any thoughts?

Asking for a total new , never heard of and seen at, techical panelists and judges ?

Axela00

Rinkside
Not just "pretty"! This is way beyond. And drama always draws more enthusiasm IMO. V/M piece is very well done and skated beautifully but it is meant for popular appeal (by that I mean that most people respond to drama).
I’ve been watching figure skating since i was a kid.i don’t know anything about technical elements,levels,goe,pcs and all that jazz. With that being said when i first saw p/c i was immediately drawn to them because they gave me the impression that they are floating and i also like the way they touch each other. In my opinion this type of emotion it s special and i think that many people respond to that

peepsquick

Final Flight
Well...what do Tessa and Scott do here? It seems with both teams skating 2 pretty clean programs each the judges are with the French. Do they change anything...musical edits in the current FD, go back to an old program?.....Any thoughts?

Just not as clean as P/C. It happens to the best. There is no conspiracy here. All skaters are fallible.
P/C under-performed the major part of last year: too much pressure and a FD that was difficult to get a grip on.
V/M are terrific skaters but not beyond being second at times. They very well might win the OG. The difference is not great.
I think everyone assumed because they did well last season that it meant that they were unbeatable. Why? They have been beaten a few times over their career.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to say I'm just not feeling the Moulin Rouge program... at all. I don't think it's MR fatigue, either. To me it just does not feel like an Olympic program. I don't know if it's just because I expect different/more from V/M or what... it just falls flat to me. And can they please do something other than her crotch in his face for their lift?!

Couldn't agree more. I actually love the entry to that lift, the way Tessa leaps back-flip into his arms, but the face-to-crotch needs to go. It seems like it was different the first time I saw that leap. If so, wish they'd go back to it.

I only found out last week that Marie wasn't a fan of the MR music for the FD. I wonder whether Tessa and Scott were extra determined to control the music this time, because their last Olympics, the program didn't give them the win. Did Marina pick the music/ theme that time? It could explain the music.

I haven't been a C/L fan, but this program is exquisite. It goes for emotion and drama. The only thing I wish they'd change is Luca's costume. It would look better if he wore all black, the turtleneck and pants., and no suspenders. Then the stark white dress against his black background would highlight her beautiful dress better.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Anyasnake, I know almost nothing about ice dance, so I just wanted to say how much I really, really appreciated your analysis and comments!

My non-technical newbie impression: with Tessa and Scott, I kept watching them and saying wow, what an amazing lift, what a gorgeous position, what a fantastic movement, what a stunning line - but I felt like there was something forced about it that made me uncomfortable. It was almost like they were deliberately displaying their virtuosity, if that makes sense. In contrast, I felt like Gabriella and Guillaume simply invited me into their world, and I relaxed.

I think that if I were a judge, those feelings might slightly influence how I marked them, above and beyond the technical.

I’m a former musician, so accessibility of the music wasn’t really an issue for me.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can someone explain why straight 3's (almost) for the MiSt3 earn 3.14 GOE points in P/C's FD, but straight 3's for the SlLi4 only earn 1.80?

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Can someone explain why straight 3's (almost) for the MiSt3 earn 3.14 GOE points in P/C's FD, but straight 3's for the SlLi4 only earn 1.80?

The GOE depends on the Base Value of each element. For a step sequence, the max is +3.30, for lifts, twizzles, spins it's +1.80. It appears to be +2.10 for choreo spin and choreo lift.

boo69

Rinkside
Is there something that Tessa & Scott can do to edge out P/C? What do you think? The fact that every judge put their rivals above them and that Gabrielle & Guillaume won every PCS category is alarming for V/M & quite strange. You would expect more variety from the judges in their marks due to how excellent & competitive both teams are.

I had a prediction last year that when V/M won worlds, that that would be their year, so that P/C can win the Olympics, barring major mistakes from P/C.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The GOE depends on the Base Value of each element. For a step sequence, the max is +3.30, for lifts, twizzles, spins it's +1.80. It appears to be +2.10 for choreo spin and choreo lift.

thank you. But the SlLi4 was a choreo lift .... Why? because they'd already done two lifts? I appreciate your answer. :)

alain06fr

On the Ice
I The fact that every judge put their rivals above them and that Gabrielle & Guillaume won every PCS category is alarming for V/M & quite strange.

Not exactly, one, and only one judge, out of 9, gave higher PCS marks to V/M, I let you guess which one...

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
thank you. But the SlLi4 was a choreo lift .... Why? because they'd already done two lifts? I appreciate your answer. :)

You're welcome :)
Not the Straight Line lift is a normal lift. For them, the choreo lift is the very last one just before the end.
You have 3 mandatory lifts (or 2, but one has to be a combination of 2 lifts) + 2 mandatory choreographic elements. Choose two between lift, spin and twizzle - P/C have spin and lift. The "spin" isn't really a proper spin for everyone.
It's this one : https://youtu.be/L-hWJuG0lIw?t=212

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
P/C not only winning the Free Dance, but also deservedly winning the Short Dance, makes me happy.

The 3 American teams all within a point of each other is some high drama, Nationals this season is probably going to be the most hotly contested Nationals ever (for any country) in Ice Dance. I really hope the Shibutanis are not declared the winners by default.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Couldn't agree more. I actually love the entry to that lift, the way Tessa leaps back-flip into his arms, but the face-to-crotch needs to go.

It's an ugly moment in the program.

I only found out last week that Marie wasn't a fan of the MR music for the FD. I wonder whether Tessa and Scott were extra determined to control the music this time, because their last Olympics, the program didn't give them the win. Did Marina pick the music/ theme that time? It could explain the music.

IIRC, Tessa and Scott chose that music, too---The Seasons (Glazounov), Piano Concerto in F (Scriabin) which was to represent their journey in ice dance together over the years. Marina choreographed the program, and it went through many variations and changes, but never seemed to coalesce into a story with a beginning, middle and end; it just lacked impact.

ChanClan

On the Ice
honestly, to me it looks like tessas stomach is more in scotts face than her crotch but whatever

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... IIRC, Tessa and Scott chose that music, too---The Seasons (Glazounov), Piano Concerto in F (Scriabin) which was to represent their journey in ice dance together over the years. Marina choreographed the program ...

Marina chose the FD music -- The Seasons + the Scriabin concerto -- for V/M's 2013-14 Olympic season.

"The free dance was a longer process [than the short dance] because the music was specially arranged for us," Moir said. "We're using music from Glazunov's ballet Seasons and Scriabin's 'Piano Concerto in F-sharp minor.'" ...

"The program is about the man-woman relationship and how it changes throughout the seasons of life," Zoueva said. "The music is not unusual, but I cannot remember ever seeing it used for a free dance, although it is dance music including a waltz.
"I ran through different music in my brain for a long time before I finally recognized these two pieces would be best for them," she continued. "I knew from my studies at university that these composers go together well."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130805&content_id=55949358&vkey=ice_news (Aug 2013)​

Marina chose it, and V/M went with Marina's choice.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Before watching the videos, I was gutted that V/M didn't win, and didn't win the FD, but now that I watched P/C's FD, I can see why they won. They skated it better than they did earlier in the season. Earlier, I was so bored with it that I could hardly watch it, especially with the sleepy music, but this time they seemed to have infused more passion into it.

cocofeliz

Rinkside
I absolutely hate how Scott Moir tries to come up with a concrete reason why they lost. Excuses and never acknowledgment to the winning team. I’ve always felt he lacked sportsmanship.

Barb

Record Breaker
I absolutely hate how Scott Moir tries to come up with a concrete reason why they lost. Excuses and never acknowledgment to the winning team. I’ve always felt he lacked sportsmanship.

Why? What did he say?