2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 65 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance

anyanka

Record Breaker
I really want Ilya Averbukh to throw shade on the entire GPF competition, just to hear him go off. :p

Marta25

Medalist
Skoptcova/Aleshin and Polishchuk/Vakhnov won Gold and Bronze at the JGPF. :thumbsup:

I`m especially surprised about S/A beating C/P. At the beginning of the season I thought C/P would be running away with this year`s titles, but it looks like the fight for the Junior World title is going to be closer than expected.

madison

Record Breaker
Skoptcova/Aleshin and Polishchuk/Vakhnov won Gold and Bronze at the JGPF. :thumbsup:

I`m especially surprised about S/A beating C/P. At the beginning of the season I thought C/P would be running away with this year`s titles, but it looks like the fight for the Junior World title is going to be closer than expected.

Unexpected victory for S/A. Congrats!

Lana05

Final Flight

I was expecting this. They had the biggest combine score before Final this year, so it was predictavle that they'll beat everyone

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I def was surprised they beat CP :think:
& was very happy about the result

Btw it could be interesting to see Pavel paired up with Lena! I didn't think about this before.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
:rolleye:Leave Alla & Pavel alone. It's their first year on the senior scene & they have the right to go through the same ups & downs as every other young team.

They had a good Lombardia Trophy and a good Skate Canada. Then a rough Internationaux de France and a fall in the SD at Golden Spin. Nonetheless, they earned their senior TES minimums right away, and their SB score during their first senior season is superior to Popova & Mozgov's and Zagorski & Guerreiro's from last season. Transitioning up to seniors is always tough. It's the teams that make it through those challenges, though, that have the most promise for the future.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I don't know if, perhaps, Alla and Pavel kind of got lost in the wayside because of Popova and Mozgov rising this season. And it's a fact that P/M had already a season to get it together compared to L/D.

On another note, I'm quite happy with S/A and P/V medaling at the GPF, and S/A winning. I think P/V deserved the silver over C/P because they were a lot better technically, but I'm satisfied either way. S/A will move up to seniors next season, while P/V could potentially stay and win more medals as juniors, but a part of me hope that they throw those junior titles away and move up next season just to make the move as swiftly as possible - with B/S out, S/K and S/B will probably fight for the top, but there's a lot of room for someone to steal that third spot and run away with it, but with the middle pack more crowded perhaps we'd have all the team pushing each other to the top.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
S/A will move up to seniors next season.

Will they? I'm curious if any of the junior dancers will move up this season. The decrease in base value in the junior FDs seems to have made it essentially impossible for the junior teams to make the top 24 SB list & win a guaranteed spot on the Grand Prix. Maybe some teams will climb up to the top 24 on the World Standings list after Junior Worlds; but for the moment, the top juniors are all ranked 31-34. Teams will drop out after the Olympics, of course; but they won't be removed from the world standings list, and it's a pretty tough fight for the young Russian & U.S. dance teams to win a host place or extra invitations. I hope the PTB will rethink the required elements list for the junior FDs next season.

Marta25

Medalist
Skoptcova/Aleshin and Shpilevaya/Smirnov are both aging out, so they have to move up. The field will be again open up a bit for other Russian Junior Teams like Kuts/Mikhailov and Ivanenko/Karpov to get JGP spots. They were both on the substitutes list for this season, but didn`t get an invite, because of the strong results of the other teams.

I guess if Carreira/Ponomarenko win Junior Worlds they will probably also move up and I`m curious if Lajoie/Lagha will also be thinking about going to Seniors because the Canadian senior field will be very open once Virtue/Moir and Weaver/Poje retire. So, for the next JGP season we could maybe see a rivalry between the Greens and the Russian junior teams like U/N, S/E, P/V, K/Y and K/N.

With P/V I have to say that I`m really looking forward to see them in the senior ranks. I expect great things from them :biggrin:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I guess if Carreira/Ponomarenko win Junior Worlds they will probably also move up and I`m curious if Lajoie/Lagha will also be thinking about going to Seniors because the Canadian senior field will be very open once Virtue/Moir and Weaver/Poje retire. So, for the next JGP season we could maybe see a rivalry between the Greens and the Russian junior teams like U/N, S/E, P/V, K/Y and K/N.

It's possible that all four teams move up; but, again, I wouldn't count on it because it is going to be very hard for the junior teams to win guaranteed GP spots for next season.

I could see Lajoie & Lagha move up to help fill the void in Canadian dance; but I could also see them doing both the JGP & 4CCs. They have the potential to improve within the junior field; but if the top two teams get out, there will likely be an open spot on the Canadian team (at least at 4CCs & quite plausibly at Worlds).

With Carreira & Ponomarenko, it does seem more likely that they might move up if they win Junior Worlds than if they don't. But not guaranteed either way. Because there's just no way of knowing how many top U.S. dance teams are getting out and how many invites USFSA is going to be able to wrangle. If all the U.S. senior teams stay in, even a host spot at SA may be very hard to nab. But often more spots open up during an Olympic season than any other year.

So we'll see how the juniors do against each other, and then we'll see how much of the senior field opens up this coming season.

As for the young Russian teams, there's no knowing what their chances are for getting onto the GP either. They may be fighting it out on the Challenger Series.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Skoptcova/Aleshin and Shpilevaya/Smirnov are both aging out, so they have to move up. The field will be again open up a bit for other Russian Junior Teams like Kuts/Mikhailov and Ivanenko/Karpov to get JGP spots. They were both on the substitutes list for this season, but didn`t get an invite, because of the strong results of the other teams.

With P/V I have to say that I`m really looking forward to see them in the senior ranks. I expect great things from them :biggrin:

I think that Lajoie/Lagha will move up. They'll be able to get a host spot for the GP at least. And if V/M and W/P both retire, they'll be in line for both 4CC and Worlds spots (assuming Canada keeps 3). G/P and Soucisse/Firus are the only other Canadian dance teams that can beat them, so there will be lots of opportunities for them.

IMO, L/L will move up for sure, and C/P probably will, along with S/A and S/S.

moon

On the Ice
Apparently Ilinykh and Shibnev have withdrawn from Nationals.
From the time I saw this young woman skate live in her first year on the jgp I was sure she would some day be an Olympic gold medalist. My jaw dropped when I saw her merely take to the ice for a practice warm up. If this is the end for her she will always be for me one of the great unrealized talents. Along with a few other females. Wouldnt it be nice if we could easily mix and match our skaters ignoring country, money and timing. I think I could have come up with some great teams. Fantasies now

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
What with Ponomarenko only being 16, I doubt whether he and Carreira will go senior next season unless all 3 of the top US teams retire or take a year off.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
What with Ponomarenko only being 16, I doubt whether he and Carreira will go senior next season unless all 3 of the top US teams retire or take a year off.

Igor teams tend to go to senior right away unlike the WISA teams, but with the U.S. ice dance scene the way it is, maybe that will change. That said, I wonder if Igor thinks Carreira/Ponomarenko are ready to tackle on the senior level with or without retirements from the current top 3.