2018 US Men's Oly/World/4CC team announced | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2018 US Men's Oly/World/4CC team announced

pearly

Record Breaker
Then what body of work does Adam have to to go on? He wasn't at the past worlds or nationals...only his two Grand Prix from this year and this nationals?

His two GPs in which he did really well. I also think he did fairly well in his GP assignments last year (not so much the Final). And also he had a very good reason for not skating in any other competitions last season and that is definitely taken into consideration.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I literally can't recall a single moment of choreography Zhou did off the top of my head. I can't say the same for anyone else who placed 1-5 in the women's and men's competitions. It just seemed like a very empty program, and his PCS was very high...

I remember some parts of Vincent's footwork quite well, I thought it was quite impressive actually. He was visibly nervous but I think if he works on his mental game he will shine artistically too.

EDIT: Miner not even first alternate for Worlds? What do they think Jason has to bring to the World stage? It's quite possible someone might pull out, and giving the spot to Jason will not give the US any podium medals, or even close. :palmf:

louisa05

Final Flight
Right......:confused2: GP placements be damned.....Ross paced himself to peak at Nationals and that's exactly what he did. Ross beat Jason Brown by 20pts....It wasn't even close. If they're going to do things like this, they should just tell the skaters before hand that they can do their best but, they're vying for 4CC spots because the Olympic Team has already been selected.....:mad:

Except it wasn't. The first on the list of the criteria for choosing the team is placement at Nationals. However, that is only ONE thing on the criteria. If there were no Nationals, Jason Brown would be on the team instead of Vincent. His placements in all of the criteria except the last two Nationals beat Vincent. Vincent made the team because his 3rd place at this Nationals trumps Jason's 6th place as well as his 2nd last year beating Jason's third. Jason had a chance to make the team and blew it. Because last night's results counted. But they were not the only results that count.

Beyond that, if Ross continues, his placement last night will put him in a higher team envelope for next season which will give him higher funding and likely mean he gets at least one GP assignment next year. Because that's one of the main things Nationals determines. By finishing 5th at the last two Nationals prior, Ross put himself in a bad place for making this Olympic team--he lost GP assignments, he doesn't have Worlds on his resume, etc... By finishing 2nd last night, he has put himself in a better place to continue.

It's nice that Ross had the skate of his life. Good for him. But USFSA has wisely decided that having the skate of your life on one night shouldn't be the ONLY criteria for making the Olympic or World teams.

PyeongChang2018

On the Ice
I think a lot of people are frustrated because they see Nationals as bogus because they perceive it as the most important qualifying competition. This is the fault of the commentators.

The USFSA makes it clear that it is just one of the three most important qualifying competitions. It's the last of the three which is why the team is announced immediately upon the conclusion. However, that doesn't mean it's the most important one in the series, just because the team is announced then.

It's on the commentators to make this clear so that Nationals doesn't make it seem bogus. They hype it up as the most important one, and the USFSA makes it very clear that this is not the case, both in their actions (the men's team they chose) and in their words (they released the criteria very early on).

evasorange

Final Flight
His two GPs in which he did really well. I also think he did fairly well in his GP assignments last year (not so much the Final). And also he had a very good reason for not skating in any other competitions last season and that is definitely taken into consideration.

I agree he did really well at his grad Prix this year but that other user told me that they didn't look at gp from last year so I'm just wondering how big even was Adams body work to look at justifying putting him on the team? Since his injury kept him from getting to nationals and worlds last year

jaylee

Medalist
I think this is disgusting. At the very least, Ross Miner absolutely should've gotten a Worlds spot over Adam Rippon. I don't agree with Adam Rippon getting onto the Olympic team, but there's a better argument (that I don't support) for that over chucking Ross for even the Worlds team! And for Jason to also be getting alternate over Miner for both Olympics and Worlds? No. Does the USFSA not realize that the competitive landscape has changed and that quadless skaters with artistry are at a huge disadvantage? They went with the more recognizable names but they didn't go with the skaters who delivered when it counted.

Adam Rippon has been overhyped and overrated since his days with Brian Orser, with an inability to deliver under pressure when it counted. Yes, he had a few nice moments like 2016 Worlds (held in the US) but last night, he couldn't deliver a much simpler program than his competitors at Nationals under pressure. And how is he going to help the US at the Olympics?

I can't believe we're sending a skater with no quad and who still appallingly pumps his back during crossovers to the Olympics over a BETTER SKATER with a quad and better skating skills who delivered under massive pressure. I think the "body of work" argument should be reserved for world medalists and/or if you medaled at the most recent GPF. Adam Rippon didn't and while his BOW is better than Ross's, IMO it's not enough to justify his placement on the world team over Miner. (Why was it OK to send Polina Edmunds in 2014 over Mirai but not Ross over Adam? Huh?)

Rippon's Nationals performance was awful. No heart, no effort, no focus in missing TWO triple jumps. That was not the spirit of a champion or of an Olympian. I am a believer that Nationals doesn't count for everything but it should count for SOMETHING, and Rippon didn't do enough.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This would have been at least fair:

Oly - Chen,Rippon,Zhou / Miner, Grant, Jason
WC - Chen, Rippon, Miner / Zhou, Jason, Grant
4CC - Miner, Grant, Jason / whoever.

I agree especially with Worlds, Chen & Rippon together should be enough to qualify 3 spots and Ross would get his reward with Zhou as alternate in case of injury of withdrawal.

aa456

On the Ice
Don't Japan and Russia also have a selection criteria and don't necessarily pick their medalists? I don't see the big deal if US applies the same methodology and go for a team that may result in the highest placements

rosacotton

Final Flight
I wish the Feds would have let the Nationals winners enjoy their victories and waited until all the events were concluded before announcing world and Olympic spots especially since selections may be influenced by the team event. Better to know the pool you have to choose from and making sure the same rules are applied across all disciplines to avoid problems.

I think in 2014 they did wait until Nationals was all done and then name the Olympic team. Don't know why they didn't this time. Now I will be watching the free dance with so many mixed emotions.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
On making Oly team

Rippon: "First thing I did was text Ross Miner and told him how proud of him I am. If the situation were reversed, I would be happy. Glad they looked a the full body of work. Thought he would be retired by the time Nathan was senior."

BBM. Now we’re making catty comments about the age of someone who beat you in competition?

Another example of sneering at a competitor. Rippon sneaked a similar attitude into his congratulations to Miner after the event, under the guise if being congratulatory. A backhanded compliment is not a compliment: it’s nastiness.

Why are we sending this behavior to the Olympics?

USFSA and his coaches should be schooling Rippon from now until the Olympics on how to make sincere compliments—and they should always be on the tip of his tongue and handy—if he’s going to say ANYTHING about a competitor. And if he can’t do that—as is expected sportsmanlike behavior—he shouldn’t say anything at all.

Bratty behavior is a lightning rod internationally for condemning an athlete or a whole team. It is not a good look for TeamUSA.

PS Ross Miner is YOUNGER than Rippon.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This would have been at least fair:

Oly - Chen,Rippon,Zhou / Miner, Grant, Jason
WC - Chen, Rippon, Miner / Zhou, Jason, Grant
4CC - Miner, Grant, Jason / whoever.

By the way I have enjoyed your posts all during Nationals.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Ross Miner is not even the first alternate, which tells me that USFS highly regards "body of work" of Jason over Ross' 2nd at Nationals.

The final decision is expected, but it really contrasts with the decision on Karen over Ashley.
Karen has stronger body of work than Ashley. She finished ahead of her last two Nationals and Worlds.

lavender

Record Breaker
It's an awkward situation but no....nationals is no longer everything. What would Ross bio look like. Seriously I don't know.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I wish the Feds would have let the Nationals winners enjoy their victories and waited until all the events were concluded before announcing world and Olympic spots especially since selections may be influenced by the team event. Better to know the pool you have to choose from and making sure the same rules are applied across all disciplines to avoid problems.

This is my gut instinct as well... but I'd love to hear from the skaters on this... i wonder if they rather not wait.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
BBM. Another example of sneering at a competitor. Rippon sneaked a similar attitude into his congratulations to Miner after the event, under the guise if being congratulatory. A backhanded compliment is not a compliment: it’s nastiness.

USFSA and his coaches should be schooling Rippon from now until the Olympics on how to make sincere compliments—and they should always be on the tip of his tongue and handy—if he’s going to say ANYTHING about a competitor. And if he can’t do that—as is expected sportsmanlike behavior—he shouldn’t say anything at all.

Bratty behavior is a lightning rod internationally for condemning an athlete or a whole team. It is not a good look for TeamUSA.

PS Ross Miner is YOUNGER than Rippon.

How is this a backhanded compliment to Nathan???? He literally was saying "When I first saw Nathan I thought he was going to become incredibly good as a senior competitor, but that I wouldn't have to face him because I would be retired" - ????????????????????????????????????????

brightphoton

Medalist
I really like Adam but geez

Adam: I thought [Ross] would be retired by the time Nathan was senior

This was Ross's last hurrah ...

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Don't Japan and Russia also have a selection criteria and don't necessarily pick their medalists? I don't see the big deal if US applies the same methodology and go for a team that may result in the highest placements

Yes, and no.

Both Japan and Russia send their National Champion by default. Then in Russia, the second place also goes by default, and the third one is decided by a committee. In Japan, there are selection criteria laid out, like in the US, for the 2nd and 3rd spot.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I really like Adam but geez

Adam: I thought [Ross] would be retired by the time Nathan was senior

This was Ross's last hurrah ...

No, he was talking about himself. He thought HE HIMSELF would be retired when nathan became senior.

From Jackie Wong's twitter, directly from the press conference
Adam Rippon: I remember seeing Nathan skate (in 2012) and say, oh damn, well I'll be retired when he's senior. I guess the joke's on me because I'll be skating forever.#USChamps18

PyeongChang2018

On the Ice
This is my gut instinct as well... but I'd love to hear from the skaters on this... i wonder if they rather not wait.
It's not the same thing of course, but as an actor, I always want to know if I got the part or not immediately after an audition. You can't function during the wait, and aren't able to be as productive as normally. That's just me of course, but I think that's the same for most other actors.