2018 US Championships Sr. Free Dance | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Free Dance

pearly

Record Breaker
Caught the final two teams live and just watched the Shibutanis.

I've loved this free dance by HD from the first time they performed it this season. I think it is a great choice. Those twizzles, when done flawlessly, are impressive.

I like Maia and Alex's program better now with the slight change in music. I still think Fix You was a masterpiece and I can't see it upstaged, so I'm glad they added a bit more of that music. I think now the music builds up better to the twizzles and the finale. I love this team, but despite all their recent success I always feel they might not do well going into a competition. I know the reason - the Gadbois teams are much more talked about and Marina is left with only one really good team. But each time they skate they remind me why I like them and they truly are still in the very top.

I have very mixed feelings about Chock and Bates this year. I thought their Under Pressure free was fabulous, but I guess the consensus was that it was really not their style. I loved it. Imagine, in theory, is a great piece for the Olympics, but it just doesn't draw me in at all. It feels a bit cheesy to me.

Eislauf

On the Ice
C/B seem to have plateaued since their nationals win a few years ago. I don't see enough precision in their skating, espec. compared to the (usually) Swiss-watch-meticulous Shibs. Nor do I see much sophistication or refinement in their music or choreo. They're nice enough imho but don't seem to excel in any one area of ice dance.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Such a razor thin margin. It's really nitpicking to differentiate between the top teams.

They all left a level or two on the performances, so everyone can get better.

I love love love H/D, and have been rooting for years. I am thrilled with the outcome.

I'm sure this will infuriate their fans, but I think the Shibs have gone to the well with Coldplay one time too many. It was so fresh and modern and beautiful the first time. This just seems lacking, especially when compared to their short dance.

bramweld

Record Breaker
About that Oly bronze, I'm VERY curious about how Euros are going to turn up... especially how Bobrova/Soloviev are going to be scored.

With all due respect to B/S, and their fans, but they are not in the same class as H/D, not even close. But bless their hearts they are nice people and hardworkers.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
With all due respect to B/S, and their fans, but they are not in the same class as H/D, not even close. But bless their hearts they are nice people and hardworkers.

I think the exact same too. If everyone lay down their best, I'd have USA in 3,4 and 5 no questions. But I'm still wondering if they can reach something like a 77-78 SD and a 115 FD, because that will make their case. And since people are going to say, "it's in Russia, so we don't care..." not so much.

Libby96

Rinkside
I love the Shibs, but since they stumbled I agree with the result. I will be interested to see who skates what in the team event at the Olympics.
Slightly off topic question, but NBC showed a brief retrospective of the figure skating at Calgary in '88. Was it a promo for a longer special on that Olympics? Because I would be all over that.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
C/B seem to have plateaued since their nationals win a few years ago. I don't see enough precision in their skating, espec. compared to the (usually) Swiss-watch-meticulous Shibs. Nor do I see much sophistication or refinement in their music or choreo. They're nice enough imho but don't seem to excel in any one area of ice dance.

Lifts though, you gotta give it to them.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought it was interesting that Jimmie Santee said Hawayek/Baker's performance was his favorite at this Nationals. They had all green boxes and all 4s on GOE and literally couldn't have skated the program any better. I hope they get some good GPF placements or something out of it.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And I’m in the arena for the last competive event and I’m exhausted. It’s been a blast of a few days. The best part,
hands down, has been staying at the same hotel as the skaters. I’ve seen so many people over the last few days and my opinions about some people (pretty much all for the good) have changed about some people based on how they interacted with people away from the rink. Amazing experience.

That would be SO COOL. I am lucky to be able to afford to Nationals (sometimes, not this year) and get a nosebleed ticket. I can't imagine staying in the same hotel as the skaters, I'd totally fangirl out.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really? wow :eek:

Yes, there weren't any other teams at Sectionals. They did an exhibition program at Sectionals because they didn't have any competitive programs ready. I've been wondering how they will get any competitive experience though, just going to Nationals every year.

rosacotton

Final Flight
Slightly off topic question, but NBC showed a brief retrospective of the figure skating at Calgary in '88. Was it a promo for a longer special on that Olympics? Because I would be all over that.

I was wondering the same thing!

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
And I’m in the arena for the last competive event and I’m exhausted. It’s been a blast of a few days. The best part,
hands down, has been staying at the same hotel as the skaters. I’ve seen so many people over the last few days and my opinions about some people (pretty much all for the good) have changed about some people based on how they interacted with people away from the rink. Amazing experience.
So glad you've had a great time!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I hope the international judges get the message here and realize that the bronze medal battle should only be among the American teams; The Russians, and especially the Italians, are not at this level.

Unfortunately, I don't think Weaver/Poje have much of a chance of getting the bronze any longer either. I think it'll go to either H/D or the Shibs, TBH.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Travelling back to school today after being home for the Xmas holidays, and my train was super delayed (over 2 hours). But that meant that I was able to catch the last group (and M/C), which I would have missed if it was on time, which was awesome. In order

McNamara/Carpenter: they're skating hasn't really grabbed me before, but this was definitely a really strong performance for them. I was impressed.

The Parsons: Little bobble on the twizzles again, and this is not my favourite program for them, but it was a good skate. Love watching them skate their patterns/step sequences. And I remember finding their spin quite cool. I was happy for them that they came 5th.

Hawayek/Baker: That was very lovely. When they skate clean like that they're so good.

Shibutanis: Still not at the emotional level of Fix You for me. Didn't really connect to that performance at all. I was listening with the sound fairly low in the train station because I forgot my headphones, but I think I like the changes to the music. I'd have to listen again to be sure. Still not sure this song was the best choice - it doesn't build enough for me. As soon as I saw the stumble, I thought "oh my god, are they actually going to lose the title?"

Hubbell/Donohue::love: I was so tense watching them, hoping they could take advantage of the opening left by Maia's mistake and they did it so well. This is probably my 2nd favourite FD of the season, after V/M, and it was so, so good here. I was checking the fancy stats page and I was ecstatic when I realized it was going to be enough for them to move into 1st. When they got the scores I was actually shaking and I had tears in my eyes I was so happy for them. Didn't realize quite how invested in them I was until now. Them winning put me into such a good mood that I wasn't even upset about my delayed train.

Chock/Bates:I was still a little distracted by my happiness for Madi and Zach, to be honest. Did they change their music a bit, or could I just not hear it properly? Anyways, a nice performance, but it didn't really do anything for me after watching H/D.

Also, the past few days I've made my Dad watch with me, mostly when it was on NBC. And I'm there waiting for Madi and Zach's scores, and he's texted me about their performance. Apparently he remembered it was on and decided to watch. So here are his comments on the last 3 teams (nicknames are all his):

"Don't know if they'll catch the Shib-Sib-Bots, but Hubbell/Donohue are so much more musical"
"Now the odd couple (what he calls C/B ever since I told him they were dating)"
"The music is pretty lethargic"
"Did nothing for me"
"Shibs were pretty subdued. Didn't hate their program, but loved H and D."

He also really liked H/B.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would love to watch this competition listening to the boys on BESP comment.

For the past two seasons, they've been saying, "What are the judges waiting for??!!"

They are H/D ubers, for sure.

kasha6

Rinkside
Hubbell/Donahue: YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Although they lost levels, still the best performance they've given of this free dance all season. Looks like the results of the GPF played a role here and allowed the judges the freedom to put their eggs H/D's basket PCS-wise. Madison has transformed herself into a leading lady this season--she's projecting a confidence, skating skills, and star-power that should elevate her into comparison with Tessa Virtue and Gabriella Papadakis. To me, while Tessa is queen, Madison is the second best female ice-dancer in the world right now. Will the Olympic judges allow 3 teams from the same country on the podium?

Shibutani's: It seems like they have been trying to capture the feeling behind their Fix You free dance in 2016 for the past two years. Adding some of the Fix You music to the Paradise free dance felt a little desperate. Because their greatest strength is their consistency, will the mistakes in the last two events accelerate the perception that they are being left behind? I'm also interested to see if we'll see them at another Nationals. I get the sense that they may continue, setting up an interesting rivalry with Hubbell/Donahue.

Chock/Bates: What exactly was the point, from a political perspective ( which seems to be all the judges at this event were interested in) in putting them in first in the free dance? While I thought they were moving in a better direction with their programs last year, they seem to be presenting a completely different story of themselves this year. I don't think they've ever had a free dance that says anything important or compelling. Since they've started dating, it doesn't seem like their emotional connection or Evan's skating ability has progressed.

Hawayek/Baker: Lovely. Receiving essentially the same score in the FD as the Shibutani's will be a huge confidence boost. They have star power, but are inconsistent and emotional, which means their fans are in for a roller coaster over the next 4 years.

Parson/Parson: They should break up and find partners they aren't related to. The girl has star potential.

Tanith Belbin: Could she be more of a pleasure to listen to?
OMG Tanith is a pleasure! and she keeps quiet many times for us to enjoy the skating! Tara and Johnny are the worst ever! Why do T&J do the pair skates ?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:eek:topic: but watching ice desk and Alexa is so cute. I think it was when they asked if they were going to do anything different then they have been doing leading up to the OG and Alexa said that she woke up this morning and for the first time she kissed an Olympian. :luv17:

So cute!