2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating

fredtx121

On the Ice
Wow Bradie skating first for the SP, wonder how NBC will mess up this time. Maybe show group 1,2 and 3 and skip group 4 and 5?:rofl:
Looks like it’s going to be a intense competition between the Russian girls. I wonder if Eteri is going to hold back Zagitova or make her go all in against Medvedeva. I think both girls have nerves of steel and will most likely end up with the gold and silver. I just wonder as others have said, will Zagitova end up retiring after this season if she wins, a la Tara Lipinski (yes she did more than 1 season but you get my drift-lol).
Some conspiracy of why Tara was given the nod for Olympic Gold was to create a rivalry between Michelle and Tara to continue for another Olympic 4 yr cycle. Well that backfired as Tara retired right after she won. I think even if Michelle won, she would have stayed for another 4 Years. I guess we will never know.

MiRé

Match Penalty
So Zagitova's practice session was stopped because they wanted to do her doping testing ASAP. Poor girl was unable to give urine before practice and they insisted that she must do it now resulting in her missing half of the practice session.
This is ridiculous. They do that only with Russian athletes.

If you're not following the news, a russian athelete tested positive for meldonium in curling. Russian already got banned, and if he indeed doped (rumors are floating that someone spiked his drink or something), it's tarnishing the country even more. I won't be surprised if IOC decides to be more strict on Russia alone given their record.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Why do you think Evgenia deserves it? The best skater in those two days will deserve it, like any other competition. No one skater deserves to win over another. Skaters can't control how old they are and therefore cannot control how many seasons they have before the olympics. I mean, even if someone inconsistent like Karen Chen skates clean that day and better than everyone, then she will deserve it. But if everyone goes clean, it's obvious Alina is the better skater and the GOE and TES difference between her and everyone else should be HUGE, like when she skated the way she did at Euros. Everyone has their favourites and who they root for, but it doesn't mean someone's favourite deserves it more than all others. Yuzuru didn't deserve to win olympic gold more than anyone, he EARNED it based on how he skated those two days, because he skated better than everyone overall. It wasn't about how great he was in the past.

This. Perfect post. No one "deserves" an OGM or any other medal just because they got medals in previous events. Only the performance of that day counts. It's not a celebrity contest, it's a sport. :roll5:

russianfan

Match Penalty
This. Perfect post. No one "deserves" an OGM or any other medal just because they got medals in previous events. Only the performance of that day counts. It's not a celebrity contest, it's a sport. :roll5:

Right, and that's why Sotnikova totally deserved her medal.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
If you're not following the news, a russian athelete tested positive for meldonium in curling. Russian already got banned, and if he indeed doped (rumors are floating that someone spiked his drink or something), it's tarnishing the country even more. I won't be surprised if IOC decides to be more strict on Russia alone given their record.

This. I wish people stopped the "poo wittle Wussia" whining.

If there was indeed case of doping, they might be out of the next Olympics altogether. Blame the idiot doped up idiot, not those who do there jobs.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
This. I wish people stopped the "poo wittle Wussia" whining.

If there was indeed case of doping, they might be out of the next Olympics altogether. Blame the idiot doped up idiot, not those who do there jobs.

clearly, Russian officials can't tell this curler to dope, IF they were ever doing that sort of thing in the first place. they're at home in Russia now, watching on TV.
so why would you ban a whole country for one guy's problem? he got caught, he got punished. don't punish innocent people. you seem to have a lot against Russia. no one's saying "poo wittle Wussia". we're saying that it's unfair for the mistakes of others to affect clean athletes. how would you feel if this was your country?

VenusHalley

Final Flight
clearly, Russian officials can't tell this curler to dope, IF they were ever doing that sort of thing in the first place. they're at home in Russia now, watching on TV.
so why would you ban a whole country for one guy's problem? he got caught, he got punished. don't punish innocent people. you seem to have a lot against Russia. no one's saying "poo wittle Wussia". we're saying that it's unfair for the mistakes of others to affect clean athletes. how would you feel if this was your country?

I dislike sports events where medals are sent by post months after the event.

Our athletes been on the other side of the fence, being robbed of their podium glory because somebody cheated. Sure, they got their medals later on, but at that time nobody cared anymore.

I am sure Alina will do fine, even missing one session. Never got why aren't the Russian skaters in PC the whole time... they will miss out on the Olympic spirit this way.

madison

Record Breaker
I dislike sports events where medals are sent by post months after the event.

Our athletes been on the other side of the fence, being robbed of their podium glory because somebody cheated. Sure, they got their medals later on, but at that time nobody cared anymore.

I am sure Alina will do fine, even missing one session. Never got why aren't the Russian skaters in PC the whole time... they will miss out on the Olympic spirit this way.

Because ice time in PC was really limited.... they preferred to have it more in Japan

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Right, and that's why Sotnikova totally deserved her medal.

Not necessary in this thread at all. But thanks for bringing this up - it supports colormyworld240's argument completely. Karen Chen is an underdog just like Sotnikova was in 2014, and if she skates the POHL, while others falter, she has theoretically all the chances of winning gold.

Suzzzy

Rinkside
Dopping officers made Alina drink 2 liters of water to take the test! Before that they stopped her training! How can it be? Shame on them. Alina said that even 300gr can ruin technic and may result in injuries. They came to het as she is she is the only one who can get gold. That not a fair game agains Rus figure skaters.
It not sport any more, only politics(

russianskating4ever

On the Ice
Kostner going after zagitova?!
Her score will get hammered so bad

Zhenya’s position is good and so is Alina, not as good as zhenya but still good
Sotskova not too bad..
I hope all 3 skate their hearts out, I really want a russian sweep even if it’s unlikely
But OAR has not medaled in any other FS events and won’t in the ID either

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
okay, I can see that. Still, too bad for them not to be able to enjoy the Games fully.

why would they think they could? they were robbed of their national identity and are hounded on by doping officials more so than anyone else. it probably feels like too much at this point.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I don't think Sotskova has any hope of a medal to be honest. Even if she manages a clean skate(Not that common), she doesn't get enough PCS. Literally everyone else would need to fail.

It's a shame but I think Kostner could have a really bad skate and still edge her out with the power of GOE and PCS.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I’m sorry to hear about what happened to Alina. The officials were certainly doing their job, but they could’ve at least respected her practice time.