Entries | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Entries

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kaetlyn skated two clean programs at the Olympics but Alina beat her in both, by 4.5 points in the SP and 4.5 points in the FS, mostly due to Alina's backloading and harder 3z+3lo combo.
I'm sure Kaetlyn feels confident, and I'm equally sure that Alina's individual OGM gives her a confidence boost, too. And I suspect Alina's PCS scores will go up even higher with that major win on the books.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
based on ISU entries, it looks like Denis Ten is now a substitute, Abzal Rakimgaliev is in.

Mattieu

Medalist
Maybe but she's not in a very good shape now, unfortunately.
I just hope Russia can keep its 3 spots..

Really, I don't get why everyone thinks Russia can't keep 3 spots.
3 spots is a max total of 13 for the top 2 teams from a country.
Zagitova is very likely to be 1st, so does everyone really think that neither of the other 2 Russian ladies will finish in the top 12?

Azikin

Medalist
Really, I don't get why everyone thinks Russia can't keep 3 spots.
3 spots is a max total of 13 for the top 2 teams from a country.
Zagitova is very likely to be 1st, so does everyone really think that neither of the other 2 Russian ladies will finish in the top 12?

Well, I wasn't completely serious. It was more or less a sarcastic remark about the fact that now there will be 2 Russian ladies going to the worlds who are not exactly favourites for the medal result (which doesn't mean they can't end up on the podium). Which, considering the amount of talent in Russia, is a bit strange situation (and won't likely happen again in the coming years)...

vavavoom

Rinkside
I agree, it's pretty much a slam-dunk. Alina is not finishing anywhere else than first, 99%, 19 times out of 20.
Can anyone imagine Sotskova anywhere below 12th?
Impossible, she is much more consistent than Anna P., 2nd place at GP shows that when she is on, she can medal.
Stanislava is in good shape too, she is likely to end up around 10th.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Is Tsurskaya injured?
Probably referring to Tsurskaya's struggles in this competition.

To be honest, it's tough to say who should have been sent instead. Tuktamysheva would be next in line. Would she do better than Konstantinova? That one I'm really not even that sure about. I still would probably have sent Tsurskaya just for the potential but the truth is, it's quite shocking how much the depth of Russian ladies crumbles with Medvedeva withdrawing.

vavavoom

Rinkside
Sad about Khnychenkova and Petrichetto withdrawing.

Anastasiia Arkhipova is still not eligible next year, so Anna should be safe for the national spot.

Alisson last competed at Worlds back in 2015... she did not qualify the last two years, but she was great at Nebelhorn, I became a fan.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker

To be honest, it's tough to say who should have been sent instead. Tuktamysheva would be next in line. Would she do better than Konstantinova? That one I'm really not even that sure about. I still would probably have sent Tsurskaya just for the potential but the truth is, it's quite shocking how much the depth of Russian ladies crumbles with Medvedeva withdrawing.

Weird; seems like she was just having an off day. I hope she's not injured. Tsurskaya seems to be the Russian senior with the most medal potential aside from Med and Zag right now, and about on par with Masha. Just needs more experience and exposure. She was so strong this season. Russian Fed seems to be pushing Konstantinova pretty hard, but her jumps are messy and she's not quite all there yet. Tukt and Radionova are not on the level right now either. When the juniors join the ranks and Pogo comes back, it will be another story in terms of depth.

Still, seems an odd decision not to send Tsurskaya, as she could possibly finish higher than Sotskova. Don't see that happening with Stanislava.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From what I understand, Tsurskaya has Osgood-Schlatter, a painful condition related to growth that affects the joints, particularly the knees. As she matures, the pain will gradually go away.

Nathan Chen had this syndrome during his junior years and it kept him from working on his 3A, one reason why his 3A hasn't been as realiable as his quads. Tessa Hong has had the same syndrome and hasn't been able to do a lutz; she recently decided to go to college and retire from skating.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tessa turns 16 next month. If she's been taking HS honors courses, she could be eligible to take college courses this summer. My great nephew is that age and he's doing that.

Azikin

Medalist

Yes but it's only because of injuries.. Evgenia, Anna, Polina... wonder what's up with Radionova, she was awful at Russian nationals.. and with Tuktamysheva, the danger of loosing one spot would be much more real.. they could as well send Leonova, at least it would be more entertaining.. ;)

Nirti

Medalist
Konstantinova was #4 at Russian Nationals, and Tsurskaya #5. Maybe that's the reason why Konstantinova was chosen? She was officially the 1st alternate and Tsurskaya only the 2nd?

Tutto

Record Breaker
Konstantinova was #4 at Russian Nationals, and Tsurskaya #5. Maybe that's the reason why Konstantinova was chosen? She was officially the 1st alternate and Tsurskaya only the 2nd?

There was the Russian Cup Final which is often used as a deciding comp in that kind of situations. Polina had her chance but blew it sadly finishing in 6th there. The rumour is that she could not train very hard due to health issues.
All this outcry about Stanislava is ridiculous as there was not much choice really... If juniors could go to Senior Worlds then is would be different matter of course

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
There was the Russian Cup Final which is often used as a deciding comp in that kind of situations. Polina had her chance but blew it sadly finishing in 6th there. The rumour is that she could not train very hard due to health issues.
All this outcry about Stanislava is ridiculous as there was not much choice really... If juniors could go to Senior Worlds then is would be different matter of course
No outcry here. It was clear that Konstantinova was the first alternate. Russian Fed seems to follow the placement at Nationals pretty religiously. What other choice do they have really, when there are so many amazing skaters? Just, in my opinion, Tsurskaya had a better season and more medal potential.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
USFS just announced Karen Chen and Tarah Kayne and Danny O'Shea have withdrawn from Worlds. Mariah Bell will replace Chen. First alternate, Ashley Wagner, declined the invitation. Deanna Stellato and Nathan Bartholomay will replace Kayne and O'Shea.

According to IFS Magazine.