Jason Brown | Page 535 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Very unfortunate.

TCC, unfortunately again, has so much experience with injuries that it should still be fine, even with that time frame. They've dealt with something similar before. Knock on wood. Might not be ideal but he's there for the long haul so there's no rush. Health first.

Yeah... that is actually one of the thing i always liked about him going there... they seem to have good rehab options/facilities. The loss of the OTC is kinda sucky in that regard, but I think he is in good hands. And Brian even cited keeping him healthy as a goal.

But really it could be worse injury wise. He has been off ice longer in the past and bounced back remarkably well in the past, so really I am not too worried. Heck it likely is less stressful for all sides to not have to talk quad for a while and just get to know each other and how they all work. There is plenty of other stuff to work on...frankly not having it be quad from day one sounds kinda good to me.

It will be an interesting adjustment for Jason not being the top dog. I think it likely has been a long time since was was not the rinks biggest name/skater, or at least one of them. Here he is not. Regardless of how nice Jason is... it is still a new situation that likely will take an adjustment. I don't think Jason has ever been in this Choose Your Fighter situation. And to be clear it is not all a negative... some people might like not getting the most attention and not having to be always on for the cameras as much. As a said... a change.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually think that *not* having he responsibility of being King of the Hill may be a great relief to Jason.

He is such a people person and such a team oriented skater, that I think a major, major, major benefit to this move is he now has the opportunity to learn from other skaters, and to skate with them. :clap:

And frankly, I think a benefit to those skaters will be having Jason’s positivity around. Everyone can benefit from Zhenya’s “sunny boy”.

ETA: I think Wiki was edited by someone who doesn’t know the USFS system. I don’t even know if Jason, skating for the US, *could* represent TCC. I doubt it.:scratch2:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
So his wiki is listing him as representing Toronto Cricket Club with Skokie Valley.
Anyone have some insight into if this is accurate or just a jump the gun?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Brown_(figure_skater)

Anyone can edit Wiki so jumping the gun I would say, as not everyone actually changes clubs (Medvedeva is still officially Sambo, Zu ANA due to different countries, and Jason fits in this category).

But really it could be worse injury wise. He has been off ice longer in the past and bounced back remarkably well in the past, so really I am not too worried. Heck it likely is less stressful for all sides to not have to talk quad for a while and just get to know each other and how they all work. There is plenty of other stuff to work on...frankly not having it be quad from day one sounds kinda good to me.

About the quad, I am actually not concerned about this as TCC staff seems to be very good in knowing when to push, and what to push. They will yank the quad without blinking, and simply table it, if they think it's not doing him any good. So even without the injury I think they know how to go about it all. Brian and Tracy always go basics then up, with every newcomer, so Jason will get that treatment too, no doubt.

So even once healed, I don't actually expect them to go past the 3A for a while. But just again stabilizing the 3A will be good and return some of his confidence.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Well Yoa has given me a trail of breadcrumbs so I am going to do a slight threadjack.

This clip

https://twitter.com/dasani2005/status/1001591804775550976

I am about 99% sure is taken from the tail end of two men doing a pairs exhibition the TEB... I saw it once then it panned to this clip. Can anyone find it... I want to see it again. And I suspect others might want to see two guys pairs skating. You can see a topless guy in undies skate by for a split second... that is one of them i think.

I think this is a fancam of the same thing if it helps

https://twitter.com/wolfieonice/status/1001593534913417217

Tavi...

Record Breaker
The program sounds really wonderful - as good a skater as Jason already is, I love the idea that he will go back to basics and work on his skating skills with Tracy. This has been such a tough year for him, and I’m so looking forward to seeing him regain the confidence he lost. Even if it means he has a late start to his season.

Okay, I cannot lie. Here’s what I’m really looking forward to:

Watching him do a FS with at least one 3A in the second half, without worrying that he’s gonna mess them up.

Once he can do that, then he can take on the quads. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Best wishes to Jason as he starts this new chapter. All very exciting, both for him and for us. :)

Yeah... that is actually one of the thing i always liked about him going there... they seem to have good rehab options/facilities. The loss of the OTC is kinda sucky in that regard, but I think he is in good hands. And Brian even cited keeping him healthy as a goal. …

The good news is that the "loss" of the OTC will not be complete. I get the impression that quite a few Team USA skaters seem to quietly (more or less) make (multiple) trips there throughout the year.

At the very least, Champs Camp starts Aug 18, and it would not surprise me at all if Jason makes one or more trips to the OTC before then (whether we hear about them or not).

Not the same as living at the OTC or only minutes away, but if he needs the resources, he just has to catch the Toronto-to-Colorado Springs shuttle. ;)

... Orser would become better known than Boitano ...

Off topic: Well ... it really is a matter of opinion, I would say.

... and so revered as a coach. ...

:agree: No question that Orser is revered as a coach.

... I am going to do a slight threadjack.

... And I suspect others might want to see two guys pairs skating. ...

Will threadjack your threadjack :laugh: and randomly mention that I recently came across this not-new video of of Brandon Mroz and another man skating as a pair -- taking turns throwing each other. Not clear whether they were practicing for an actual performance?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So a lot of people brought up the whole coaching pecking order thing and honestly, I agree with El Henry that he was top dog at 7k and that had limitations. Yes, there will be a huge adjustment in being around so many top notch skaters, but in a sense, I think that will be a huge motivator of skating next to top skaters technically. Yuzu has one of the best 3As out there (and of course Brian O is Mr. Triple Axel) so I think that's going to be great.

This is not a perfect comparison, but I"m going to throw it out there - Jason is to TCC group that Klay Thompson is to the Golden Skate Warriors -- super talented, but kind of "forgotten" compared to the superstars of Kevin Durant (Boyang), Steph Curry (Yuzu) and Draymond Green (I guess I'll put Evgenia here, but not a great comparison here, but there's only one spot left lol --). But when Klay sparkles, he sparkles and honestly, having those other three around is crucial for him to really tap into his talents. I think having Yuzu, Boyang and Evgenia around is going to tap a new competitive spirit in Jason. Also like Klay, Jason is a big team player and even though figure skating isn't a team sport, the fact Brian has already pointed out that Jason's presence at the rink during his visit was a huge positive, I'm sure he's going to be an asset to the "big stars" too.

And at risk of irritating other GSW fans and NBA fans here, maybe the better comparison would be Andre Iguodala. An "old" player relative and not always a "star/starter" but man during crucial/clutch moments (like the NBA playoffs--he's a NBA Finals MVP!) he's so important--so much so that Iggy's injury forced GSW to go to 7 games (GSW coach Steve Kerr said that his team would have won the conference finals in five games had he been there https://bleacherreport.com/articles...beaten-rockets-in-5-games-with-andre-iguodala ---"

Honestly Iggy's one of my faves, so I'm cool with this comparison too. He's part of the Hamptons 5. So Jason can be part of the the Toronto 7 or whatever number of skaters are there. :laugh:

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Ahhhh Mrs. P - a fellow Dubs fan. (and I like Iggy, too) Totally agree with your comparison and will add just one more similarity to Klay......neither Jason nor Klay seems to have an over-aggrandized ego. They're both rather humble and not at all full of themselves. Because of that I don't think the "he was the top dog and now he isn't" speculation will make any difference in how Jason adjusts or fits in. Jason is such a team player and I don't think it will matter what team he finds himself on/in.

(go Warriors.....beat the Cavs) Sorry, couldn't resist!!! :agree:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ahhhh Mrs. P - a fellow Dubs fan. (and I like Iggy, too) Totally agree with your comparison and will add just one more similarity to Klay......neither Jason nor Klay seems to have an over-aggrandized ego. They're both rather humble and not at all full of themselves. Because of that I don't think the "he was the top dog and now he isn't" speculation will make any difference in how Jason adjusts or fits in. Jason is such a team player and I don't think it will matter what team he finds himself on/in.

(go Warriors.....beat the Cavs) Sorry, couldn't resist!!! :agree:

:agree:

Also I only have two degree of separation with Klay -- he's my former boss' husband's great-nephew. How funny is that? My former boss grew up in Cleveland, so it can be a bit awkward during Finals time, LOL.

Also he's a Washington State kid (my husband's alma mater) so I have many reasons to cheer for Klay!

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So his wiki is listing him as representing Toronto Cricket Club with Skokie Valley.

Anyone have some insight into if this is accurate or just a jump the gun?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Brown_(figure_skater)

From Jason's own website, which obviously has been updated already:

TRAINING TOWN: Toronto, Canada

HOME CLUB: Skokie Valley Skating Club

COACH: Brian Orser, Tracy Wilson

CHOREOGRAPHER: Rohene Ward (SP); David Wilson (FS)

http://figureskatersonline.com/jasonbrown/profile/

I would say that Wiki has got it wrong.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I really think being in a new environment will benefit Jason a lot- as will skating with so many top tier international skaters. I think he will use it to inspire him and help him find the confidence he lost last year. And hopefully his positivity will benefit everyone there too.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The program sounds really wonderful - as good a skater as Jason already is, I love the idea that he will go back to basics and work on his skating skills with Tracy. This has been such a tough year for him, and I’m so looking forward to seeing him regain the confidence he lost. Even if it means he has a late start to his season.

Okay, I cannot lie. Here’s what I’m really looking forward to:

Watching him do a FS with at least one 3A in the second half, without worrying that he’s gonna mess them up.

Once he can do that, then he can take on the quads. :)

I think also it's important to consider that it will probably take at least a season for everything to take hold. For those not around prior to Sochi -- it took a bit for Yuzu to really gel with his training with Brian, though he saw some solid results in his first season under Brian -- he only missed the podium at Worlds, when he got 4th (and only after a dismal 9th place SP, but was 3rd in the FS). That Skate America 2012 SP was pretty amazing though (and I got to see that in person). I remember talking to Brian at the hotel bar during that competition about Yuzu and he clearly had a good sense of what needed to be done. One of the most amazing things Brian did, IMO is help manage Yuzu's stamina. Prior to going to Brian he had relatively low amounts of training cause of his asthma, and Brian was really able to help build that stamina up. Watch some of his programs from 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 and it's amazing how far he came from that point.

Jason's main problem, from watching his programs this season, is timing. It's most apparent on his 3A and 4T attempts. It's like that little bit of hesitation and everything's off. It will be interesting to see what they'll tweak to get that timing right.

Last edited:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Absolutely! He knows Jason's work ethic and his ability to get along with people, which I'm sure is a factor to Brian too.

Totally agree. I am sure they have good chemical. I am happy from bottom of my heart. He did not quit after Olympic and keeps fighting. Brian is quite a schemer and he will take advantage of a new rule. No one in the world cannot do the same as Jason. Without artistic aspect, I would not see figure skating.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Honestly not being able to jump right away might be a blessing in disguise. It lets Jason's coach team to get to know him as a skater and vice versa- they can start with basics without having to go right to the quad situation.

I am still so happy about this. I was really worried he would retire. Even if he doesn't get the tech he needs to be competitive- no one will be able to say he didn't try.

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, after having had time to digest this news - whilst I felt it to be a positive thing from the first, I was too dazed to really put my thoughts into words; plus I didn't quite know what my thoughts were.:)

I'm very happy about it, and I have a feeling this will turn out to be great for Jason. I know he was in a very caring and nurturing environment before, and it was probably a hard decision to make, but sometimes what is needed is a change of perspective. (el henry - I keep thinking about that speech of Delenn's, you know? I think it was in A Distant Star.:))

I've always felt that Jason's technical issues have been fixable, and that he has much more to give even on that front. I don't know what has been holding him back, but I feel as if it is rather some kind of mental block rather than that he has reached his limit technically. And I feel that a new perspective might shake loose whatever has been hampering him, and give him a new way of looking at things. (I don't know if I'm expressing myself very well here, but I hope my approximate meaning is at least somewhat clear.:))

Also, with Jason's positive outlook on life, I'm sure that he will be inspired by training with so many great skaters who have their own various strengths - as I'm sure they'll be inspired by him.:) His sunny, genuinely cheerful disposition must surely be an asset wherever he goes.:)

Ross74

Medalist
I just re-read the interview that I posted earlier in the thread with Shingo Nishiyama (the young Japanese skater who is a fan of Jason) and he goes into great detail about his training at the TCC. I didn't pay a lot of attention to the details then. Of course, now that Jason has joined TCC I'm finding all the info very interesting and relevant. :biggrin:
http://absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2018shingonishiyama

Thanks! That was interesting.

Speaking of interviews, I thought I should get familiar with the people who will be working with Jason so I just listened to the 2.5-hr TSL interview with David Wilson. Oh, to be a fly on the wall when those two get together to work on the choreography. :laugh: I tried listening to the Orser interview last night but the audio was so bad I have to wait until I can sit with good headphones. Going to try Tracy one next.

...I've always felt that Jason's technical issues have been fixable, and that he has much more to give even on that front. I don't know what has been holding him back, but I feel as if it is rather some kind of mental block rather than that he has reached his limit technically. And I feel that a new perspective might shake loose whatever has been hampering him, and give him a new way of looking at things. (I don't know if I'm expressing myself very well here, but I hope my approximate meaning is at least somewhat clear.:))....

You expressed yourself very well and I agree with this so much. That's why I'm so happy with this move. It's a really big change in many ways, and I feel like he needs that shaking up.

Yoa

On the Ice
Speaking of interviews, I thought I should get familiar with the people who will be working with Jason so I just listened to the 2.5-hr TSL interview with David Wilson. Oh, to be a fly on the wall when those two get together to work on the choreography. :laugh: I tried listening to the Orser interview last night but the audio was so bad I have to wait until I can sit with good headphones. Going to try Tracy one next.
A few recommendations :)
Inside skating interview with Brian
Ep 10 of Ice Talk with Brian
TCC tour video