Denis Ten | Page 56 | Golden Skate

Denis Ten

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Is normal instinct to protect what is yours. I have heard many times people say I will just hand over my phone/ my car/ my wallet and not fight, but until you are in the situation you really don´t know how you gonna read. I told in here before, I tried to bargain with a thief that was robbing me of my laptop to let me download information while he was pointing at me with a gun... pretty stupid from me, and I was pretty lucky that he didn´t kill me right there... you just don´t know how you gonna react... and sadly Denis didn´t have the same luck I had.

Also, others on this thread have said that it was a good neighborhood and the mirror theft is fairly common and rarely turns violent. He probably thought he could just chase them away no problem. He might also have thought that they wouldn't be crazy enough to try to harm one of their own country's national heroes. Alexey Yagudin just might get his wish of them dying in jail if the other inmates find out who they murdered. I wonder if they thought he was just some guy who looked like Denis and not the real one? I like to think that they aren't seriously that evil that they'd knowingly kill someone their entire country and people all over the world would mourn and miss.

koheikun90

On the Ice
My dear friend from kazakhstan knew Denis and his family personally since he was a kid, unrelated to his skating. she posted a beautiful tribute on her Facebook page with photos of him as a kid in a choir with her daughter. He was really a special person and I am incredible devastated but I’m so thankful that he provided such beautiful moments. His legacy will move on forever.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Denis Ten and Friends Airing on Kazakh TV

From Twitter account anna. @boyangjins

Kazakh TV to air Denis Ten and Friends Ice Show this Sunday, July 22nd, at 12PM Moscow time, GMT 9AM

"when you go on the page linked here, there is an on air window and you can view it (works both on laptop and mobile)"

She has links to many of the video uploads on her account.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It still feels so surreal...it's weird because just last week I followed a link to the whole 2010 Olympics mens short program. I had no idea Denis had competed there as well (he was only 16) so I watched his program and it was so brilliant. I was going to watch his FS too but didn't get around to it before this happened. And I can't bring myself to do it just yet.

It also hurts to remember how active he was on Instagram especially the Instagram stories, I used to skip through most of his because I can't understand Russian, but now I feel desperately sad that there'll never be another one.

Saddest of all is his last Instastory (which is now gone) of him and his friend having lunch just before the attack. I kept seeing it yesterday and wished I could somehow warn him.

And now I'm crying on my lunch break at work so I better stop.

RIP D10

Alifyre

On the Ice
As a relative newcomer to the sport, I missed the days when Denis Ten was a world and olympic medalist, and he didn't really stick in my head when I started following skating in the 2016-2017 season. However, this past fall I came across this video of him skating to that piece by Dimash and I couldn't get it out of my head. He's clearly struggling with his jumps in this performance (I later learned of his ankle injury) but I was amazed by the feeling in his skating and the power and expressiveness of his movements. Doing some more digging around, I found myself rather liking the skater from Kazakhstan I'd stumbled across via youtube recommendations. I was heartbroken that he couldn't perform "SOS" at the olympics -- I really loved the program by that point, and wanted to see him do it justice on the biggest stage possible. It saddens me so deeply that his life had to end this way, in such senseless violence after he had such a hard year. I was so excited to see him bring back SOS for this upcoming season, and so curious where he would go next. I regret that I only learned what an amazing man he was outside of the sport following his passing.

Thank you Denis, for your artistry and your passion and for being such a credit and ambassador for your country. I'm sorry you were robbed of the brilliant life that you surely had left to live. I was a fan for a short time, but your skating truly touched my heart. You will be sorely missed.

livetoskate

On the Ice
I've been watching a bunch of Denis' skating videos today on YouTube. Such talent he had. The finale of his show last month was glorious. He was clearly the star of his country and brought together so many people of different backgrounds. When I saw photos of his murderers I felt like stabbing them myself! The world will be better off without those low lifes. Miki Ando has also posted videos of her skating a tribute to Denis. I had forgotten he also trained for a while in New Jersey with Morosov. Clearly, Denis meant so much to his fellow skaters. I am still so sad about his terrible death.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm pretty sure that's the national flag of Kazakhstan draped on his casket.

In most countries, certainly in America, that indicative of honorable service to the nation.

He must have been widely acknowledged as a national hero.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I can't believe that instead of his new programs his OP is updated with his death date now. I just can't believe it. I totally share the sentiment of Alexei Yagudin. I really don't have much Christian feelings for his murderers.

Denis, wherever you are, I hope you're happy, because that's what you deserve. :pray:

After doing an update to the top half of the OP last August, I felt I owed it to Denis to bring it up to date again. Have it as my lasting tribute to him. So, it hurts me that it is coming under criticism.

Actually, there has been a lot more added to his OP than just the date of his death (that bit wasn't added by me, by the way. The Introductory paragraph had already been updated by the time I got stuck in yesterday).

• The results table now includes all his results from last season (it previously ended with the 2016-17 season).
  • Details of his SP, FS and EX for last season were added to the Programmes section.
  • The Bio section now has the new address for his Stats On Ice Bio.
  • Now that the Ice Network website has closed down, the link for his Bio is now pointing towards the final archived version of it on the Wayback Machine.
  • The link to his memorialised Personal Profile on Facebook is now included below the existing link to his Fan Page.
  • For Instagram, there are now additional links to his Photography page, as well as for the page of the animation project he was involved in.
  • Also, Doris has come up with a re-design for the ISU PB table, so that it displays details of his PB's from each season, rather than just displaying the link's address. (A great idea which I will be pinching for my own Fan Fests!)

The video list does need updated, but it is too soon to start going through videos of Denis. It is still too raw.

And the articles list also needs updating. But, again, it is too soon to be going through what will inevitably be lots of stories about his death.

The Original Poster of this thread, Marin, has already said that they will update these lists when the pain is not as raw.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

CaroLiza_fan

livetoskate

On the Ice
I don't understand a single word in Russian.
But I can feel the loss and sadness in him.
Cried again after seeing this.
Can anyone translate and tell us what Alexei said? He's so distraught. I can feel his anguish. The Shibs, Gracie, Miki, Mao, Takahito Mura, and so many others have shown so much emotion in speaking/writing about Denis. Such a sad time for our sport. I remember when Sergei Grinkov died suddenly and how sad I was for months, even though I didn't know him personally. But he died of heart problems, whereas Denis died in such a painful, shocking way. I hope his parents and sister can somehow be able to function and be ok eventually, coming to grips with Denis being gone.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm pretty sure that's the national flag of Kazakhstan draped on his casket.

In most countries, certainly in America, that indicative of honorable service to the nation.

He must have been widely acknowledged as a national hero.

that is the Kazahkstani flag indeed

skatefan17

On the Ice
Am I the only one who finds it odd a lot of American skaters are carrying on on Instagram like someone in their community has not just passed away? It feels very surreal they're posting about makeup and their kittens when a comrade has been slain. I may be too sensitive but it just makes me really disliked them. /Nonamesmentioned

moriel

Record Breaker
Am I the only one who finds it odd a lot of American skaters are carrying on on Instagram like someone in their community has not just passed away? It feels very surreal they're posting about makeup and their kittens when a comrade has been slain. I may be too sensitive but it just makes me really disliked them. /Nonamesmentioned

i think people have the right to move on with their lives. Not everybody was close to him.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
don't judge people so fast skatefan.. ^^ everybody copes with grief differently... and it changes... all the time... sometimes i threw myself into work... sometimes i slept for days... sometimes i pretended nothing happened... right now... i am crying.. and i didn't even know denis... would skaters who knew him find me weird?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

No, not really. As saddened as I am for the senseless murder, we can't expect other people who don't know him personally - even if they're in the same field - to feel the same way those who skated with or watched him. I know there have been other deaths public or in my own circle that touched me deeply but which other people were barely aware of... and there is no real reason why they should be.

Many many people care, and that is what matters.