Denis Ten | Page 57 | Golden Skate

Denis Ten

formersk8ter

On the Ice
Am I the only one who finds it odd a lot of American skaters are carrying on on Instagram like someone in their community has not just passed away? It feels very surreal they're posting about makeup and their kittens when a comrade has been slain. I may be too sensitive but it just makes me really disliked them. /Nonamesmentioned

Maia and Alex Shibutani were interviewed live last night about Denis, and were wiping away tears. (And today was Maia's birthday.)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I guess I can see what you mean Skatefan, but I wouldn't judge them too harshly. I spent all day on and off crying for Denis, but that doesn't really help anything, I almost didn't go to my volunteer job I was so sad, but again what purpose does that serve?

Also, I know who you mean and they did a live chat where they spoke about Denis, so they weren't ignoring it :(

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Am I the only one who finds it odd a lot of American skaters are carrying on on Instagram like someone in their community has not just passed away? It feels very surreal they're posting about makeup and their kittens when a comrade has been slain. I may be too sensitive but it just makes me really disliked them. /Nonamesmentioned

(1) A U.S. skater briefly was on Instagram Live yesterday with her kitten. She rarely goes on Insta Live, but she did so yesterday because she knew that everyone (including herself) was devastated to lose Denis so tragically.
I'm paraphrasing, but her kitten was a source of comfort for the skater … and she thought that perhaps seeing her sweet kitten could give a bit of comfort to her Insta followers.

And the skater was right. I am not even a cat person (I definitely prefer dogs), but the adorable kitty really did make me feel a little better -- reminding me that yes, life can be cruel and painful, but it also can be innocent and joyful.
Plus the skater herself being on Insta Live made me feel more connected to Denis … to hear live from someone who was his friend and peer.

(I would note also that this skater earlier in the day yesterday had posted a heartfelt remembrance in honor of Denis.)

(2) From what I can tell, Denis absolutely loved life and absolutely loved his friends.
And I believe that he would not want his friends to be judged for living their lives.

[ETA: Please forgive my previous unfortunate typo, which I have corrected. I meant "not want." Not, not, not.]​

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:confused::confused::confused:

A lot? Carrying on? Excuse me? :noshake:

American men skaters who have written touching and heartfelt posts on IG about Denis: Jason Brown, Nathan Chen, Vincent Zhou, Adam Rippon, Jeremy Abbott. And all the other men with active IG accounts (that I follow) have liked at least one of those posts.

I have also seen posts from Gracie Gold, Karen Chen, Zach Donahue, Charlie White, Alexa and Chris, Nate Bartholomay, and that’s just off the top of my head.

I don’t follow every skater, I’m sure I’ve missed some. But to say that a lot of American skaters are carrying on and did not post touching tributes to Denis is simply incorrect.

mikeko666

Final Flight
It was hard to believe he was actually rested in the coffin. The Sport Arena was filled with the people who came to say final good-by to Denis. I could see he was Kazakh's national hero and Almaty's favorite son. It's still so sad. He was so young.

Sally1214

Spectator
Although I didn't understand a word spoken, that was certainly a grand tribute to Denis. The flowers by the coffin were beautiful and there were so many flowers left from ordinary people attending. The raw grief on the faces of the people was a huge testament to how much he was loved. And, the Kazakhstan flag covering his coffin spoke to the hero status he was accorded in his beloved country. His parents and brother sitting in the front row. My heart just broke every time they showed them..especially when his father broke down completely when they closed the casket. His mother looked just totally broken and numb. My God, this is just so sad .... there are no words. May Denis rest in peace ... and, please God, give strength, courage & your endless love to his parents & loved ones to get through this and find a way to go on without their beloved Denis.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
After doing an update to the top half of the OP last August, I felt I owed it to Denis to bring it up to date again. Have it as my lasting tribute to him. So, it hurts me that it is coming under criticism.

Actually, there has been a lot more added to his OP than just the date of his death (that bit wasn't added by me, by the way. The Introductory paragraph had already been updated by the time I got stuck in yesterday).

• The results table now includes all his results from last season (it previously ended with the 2016-17 season).
  • Details of his SP, FS and EX for last season were added to the Programmes section.
  • The Bio section now has the new address for his Stats On Ice Bio.
  • Now that the Ice Network website has closed down, the link for his Bio is now pointing towards the final archived version of it on the Wayback Machine.
  • The link to his memorialised Personal Profile on Facebook is now included below the existing link to his Fan Page.
  • For Instagram, there are now additional links to his Photography page, as well as for the page of the animation project he was involved in.
  • Also, Doris has come up with a re-design for the ISU PB table, so that it displays details of his PB's from each season, rather than just displaying the link's address. (A great idea which I will be pinching for my own Fan Fests!)

The video list does need updated, but it is too soon to start going through videos of Denis. It is still too raw.

And the articles list also needs updating. But, again, it is too soon to be going through what will inevitably be lots of stories about his death.

The Original Poster of this thread, Marin, has already said that they will update these lists when the pain is not as raw.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

CaroLiza_fan

You misunderstood me comlpetely. I didn't mean it like I was mad at anyone for doing it, or that there are programs or interviews missing. It's sad you would think such a thing of me. I meant like I can't believe it this is the thing that his OP must be updated, because that's what happened instead of us witnessing his new programs, which surely would be added to OP at some time. I appreaciate everyone's work to update OPs. I know it takes time :bow:

neraiselle

On the Ice
Denis Ten's agency AllThatSports' condolence..

https://www.instagram.com/p/Blcq3EwF6J2/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=c672vbpa3q9v

My English is poor. So I wait a good translator's effort.

Here is my translation:

With indescribable sadness, we express our deepest condolences for the loss of our skater Denis Ten.
When we first heard the news, we could not possibly believe it. We contacted the Korean Embassy in Kazakhstan to find out what happened, and we were in a state of total shock at this unbeliveable tragedy and his sudden death. We weep with painful regret that we cannot rewind our time to before the accident.

Denis was maternal great-great-grandson of General Min Keung-ho, a renowned indenpendence fighter against the Japanese colonialists. He was a hero of Kazakhstan and a hero of the people of Korean minority in Central Asia. Denis was a rare figure skater who, with his great talent and relentless efforts, became one of the top figure skaters in the world from Kazakhstan, a country where figure skating was almost non-existent.

His remarkable accomplishments against all odds come in men's singles, which is the most fiercely competitive field in figure skating, through his lonely struggle and unmatched passion for the sport in poor conditions in country that used to be marginalised from the figure skating world. He was a young hero of our time.

His maternal great great grandfather Min Keung-ho raised militia and made significant contribution to Korea's struggles against Japanese colonialism. He was killed in action by Japanese forces, and turbulent and sad life of descendents of independence fighters awaited his remaining familes upon his death.

His family moved to the Maritime Province of Siberia and then were forcibly moved to Kazakhstan under Stalin. Denis learned of his great great grandfather, and Denis honored his ancestor by visiting his grave in Wonju, Gangwon Province, in Korea every year from 2010. After Pyeongchang won its Olympic bid for 2018, Denis said, "I am so happy that the Olympics will be held in Gangwon Province, where my great great grandfather was based in and fought for independence. I will do my best to have good results at the Pyeongchang Olympics."

After he won the 2015 4CC in Seoul, Denis said, "Korea is like my second country. When I compete in Korea, I feel comfortable as if it is being held in my own country. I also get a lot of support from passionate support from Korean fans." He was hampered by unexpected injuries to his ankle, he was unable to achieve his dream in Pyeongchang and he left the 2018 Olympics with much regret.

His love and passion for figure skating and winter sports defied his young age. For Kazahkstan's bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics, Denis visited so many countries and explained the reason why Kazahkstan should host a Winter Olympics. Unfortunately, the bid was unfortunate and it went to Beijing, but his passionate activities during the campaign definitely heightened the level of interest and support for the Winter Olympics in Kazkahstan. During his short life spanning 25 years, Denis left a huge contribution to the development of winter sports in Kazkahstan, and he will be remembered as one of the greatest heroes of figure skating from emerging countries.

The All That Sports family, including all the skaters and staff, once again express our deepest condolences for the loss of Denis Ten.

Lota

Record Breaker
Ugh, just watched some of the funeral footage and started full-on sobbing again. Thought that maybe I'd cried out everything I could after finally allowing myself to break down on the evening of the tragedy, but nope, always some tears left in storage for D10. I'll be singing in a concert with my choir today and, although this time out repertoire is more folksy, there'll be some sacred music as well, so in my mind I will dedicate those pieces to Denis. (At least I'll try, frick knows, I'm such a mess right now that I may start crying when singing, and that wouldn't do anyone good :laugh: :sad46: ).

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I just noticed Denis shared the same birthday as me and now I'm even sadder. :(