2018-19 Ladies' power ranking | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Ladies' power ranking

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Someone should start a power ranking thread for the men. I'd do it but I haven't had the time to watch many of the top men this season :slink:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
"2018-2019 Ladies' Power Ranking" would to me have nothing to do with the ISU World Standings from a previous season. YMMV.

Correction, that would be the previous 3 seasons according to ISU rankings, as much as some may not like history, or the reality.

Power to me means skaters who have a natural ability to make a jump from start to end, look extraordinary. Of the current crop the jumpers with the best Power technique would include Osmond, Daleman, Kostner, Tuk, Wakaba or Tennell. Other skaters kind of pale in comparison.

Or, does Power for some mean, who has achieved best results the last few seasons. If this is the case, we already know who these skaters are.

http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsladies.htm

I thought we were talking about their electricity bills.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Just noticed something... Where is Eunsoo on this discussion? If she goes to WC for instance, I think it is pretty probable she'll be at top 10. She is yet to skate clean, sure, but if she does she'll get some nice scores, she has that potential.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Yup that was UR. Looks about 100 - 120 degrees. Is the 90 degree rule still in place though, or is it still UR even if it's less than 90? I couldn't see it in real time though so maybe it looked less than 90 in real time, but I guess it depends on the caller, Amano would've given it a carrot and that's correct. Do you have similar videos for combo in SP and her lutz edge?

Can't really get much resolution with the free version: https://imgflip.com/gif/2j1a40

Alternatively, slow it down in youtube and watch at around 5:28/5:29: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqOYCcnl9XY&feature=youtu.be&t=327

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just noticed something... Where is Eunsoo on this discussion? If she goes to WC for instance, I think it is pretty probable she'll be at top 10. She is yet to skate clean, sure, but if she does she'll get some nice scores, she has that potential.

Not always a bad thing to fly under the radar. A couple key players to beat/outscore throughout the season will be Lil Bet, Loena (I think she is going be in the mix :rock: ), Wakaba, and Maybe even Masha to be set up for a move into that 7-10th spot at WC. Not impossible by any means :cool:

colormyworld240

Medalist
Can't really get much resolution with the free version: https://imgflip.com/gif/2j1a40

Alternatively, slow it down in youtube and watch at around 5:28/5:29: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqOYCcnl9XY&feature=youtu.be&t=327

Yeah I've tried to slow it but even in the gif, right when she takes off her edge is still shallow to me, you can see the angling of her foot. But I mean I could be wrong we will see later with better quality in GP, but if this is what the judges are seeing I don't think there should have been an unclear edge call. She certainly doesn't have the edge of Liza but it doesn't warrant a call until its completely flat and off the outer edge. I hope she still maintains an outside edge, though. It's rare for skaters to have correct edges on Lz and F and she was one of them, it would be a shame for her to lose that.

Also, sorry for hijacking this thread.

century2009

On the Ice
Someone should start a power ranking thread for the men. I'd do it but I haven't had the time to watch many of the top men this season :slink:

Can we actually do one for men? because Nathan Chen is the only one that has yet to perform, so can we really rank them at the moment without him. And his Japan Open next week is only the FP.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Men would be cool, but the power rankings (and all hail Samkrut for putting them together:clap:) are really just a discussion point.

NFL fans love these power rankings, every week some entity crunches the numbers for the teams, for the players, for everyone except the water boy.
And if your team is first, clearly a wonderful and precise ranking. Otherwise, they don't know what the heck they're talking about.:laugh: Much like in figure skating;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Can we actually do one for men? because Nathan Chen is the only one that has yet to perform, so can we really rank them at the moment without him. And his Japan Open next week is only the FP.

I would be game for one.

bobbob

Medalist
Power to me means skaters who have a natural ability to make a jump from start to end, look extraordinary. Of the current crop the jumpers with the best Power technique would include Osmond, Daleman, Kostner, Tuk, Wakaba or Tennell. Other skaters kind of pale in comparison.

Or, does Power for some mean, who has achieved best results the last few seasons. If this is the case, we already know who these skaters are.

http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsladies.htm
Correction, that would be the previous 3 seasons according to ISU rankings, as much as some may not like history, or the reality.

I know you've heard of the term "Power rankings" before, stop pretending!

The ISU World Ranking has little to do with who had the best results. It has more to do with who participated in the most range of events, since you are guaranteed points for participating in certain events, and can improve you score by participating in more. In any case, it should be obvious it is untrue that Kaetlyn had "better results" than Evgenia the last three seasons. She was 0-5 against Evgenia in that period. Wakaba had better results than Alina?

Additionally, better results in the past certainly doesn't predict future success, which if you haven't learned by now, is what "Power rankings" is supposed to try to predict. Evgenia clearly has the best results the last 3 seasons but almost no one would have her first in their power rankings right now.

By the way, Trusova is 34th on your list. Quads don't take any power, I guess.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I know you've heard of the term "Power rankings" before, stop pretending!

The ISU World Ranking has little to do with who had the best results. It has more to do with who participated in the most range of events, since you are guaranteed points for participating in certain events, and can improve you score by participating in more. In any case, it should be obvious it is untrue that Kaetlyn had "better results" than Evgenia the last three seasons. She was 0-5 against Evgenia in that period. Wakaba had better results than Alina?

Additionally, better results in the past certainly doesn't predict future success, which if you haven't learned by now, is what "Power rankings" is supposed to try to predict. Evgenia clearly has the best results the last 3 seasons but almost no one would have her first in their power rankings right now.

By the way, Trusova is 34th on your list. Quads don't take any power, I guess.

So, if some do not show up for a competition because coaches, team doctors, a federation, and a gut feel, tells a skater that they cannot compete, they are to be given the benefit of the doubt that had they, they would have won regardless? Trust me, I know all about sports injuries and in the interim we have Osmond that despite hers, is still ranked Number 1.

This may be tough for some to swallow I know, but she has earned it, deservedly so.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
So, if some do not show up for a competition because coaches, team doctors, a federation, and a gut feel, tells a skater that they cannot compete, they are to be given the benefit of the doubt that had they, they would have won regardless? Trust me, I know all about sports injuries and in the interim we have Osmond that despite hers, is still ranked Number 1.

This may be tough for some to swallow I know but she has earned it, deservedly so.

I think some fellow skaters can breath a big sigh of relief this season because they don't have to compete against Kaetlyn, who has strong basics, flies across the ice, has big jumps with great flow, who is a great performer and connects with both the audience and music, and can get on the podium/win skating in whatever order in the final group. She is a threat at every competition she enters and is the most improved skater of the last quad, imo. A strong competitor and a truly well-rounded skater.

There are a few sports where "power rankings" actually have consequences. U.S. College Football, for instance. your power ranking determines whether you go to the championship playoffs or not.

Typically the pre-season power ranking is just a repeat of the successful teams from the previous year (although a few pundits try to take into account who graduated after the last season). Then as the top teams start to lose and other teams show promise, the reshuffling begins. Start at the top, play a strong schedule and win every game -- that's the ticket. :yes:

Daniel1998

Final Flight
As the initial starter of this thread a few years ago (I checked and saw that I had confidently put Mao Asada in first that year, :palmf:), the way I had intended for the rankings to be built was to build a list, based on previous results, recent trends, and maybe some pure instinct, of who we thought was primed for success in the upcoming season. Of course, people are welcome to interpret the making of the rankings however they want.

Nice to see this going a few years later. *puffs chest proudly* I will add mine when I have the time.

bobbob

Medalist

This may be tough for some to swallow I know, but she has earned it, deservedly so.

Katelyn does deserve number 1 in this ISU ranking based on its rules, no one is disputing that. But this ranking has little to do with who had the best results the last three years, as you seem to believe, and more importantly, who had the best results does not have much to do with a future power ranking prediction.

I'll be blunt--I understand that Canadian skating is in a dire place with basically no International level medal contenders in any of the singles disciplines or pairs, and thus Canada is not well represented in anyone's power rankings, but that does not mean you have to bring up rankings which have nothing to do with what is being discussed just because Canada is well represented in those.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
We are answer the question too early.

Right now, it still seem strange to me to see Sakamoto and Higuchi with Hendrickx and Mihara over them.
I say that and i like more Mihara, then the other two japaneses. We better wait.

For example, someone has considered Fernandez out of the medals battle for the Olympics after the last Cup of China ? Potential is power, when one single event mean more then five (random number) in a row.

And Caro, come on...
She still has the same SP, so she can get a way higher score then most with it. Out of ten because she is older and hers stamina make her so inconsistent with the FS ? I may get it if we are going to see the malus GOE affecting her a lot. Otherwise, nope. She was over 210 four times last season, between GPs and Olympics, six times over 200, leaving nationals aside, obviously. Sorry, but Caro is still there.