Nathan Chen | Page 635 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

sheetz

Record Breaker
I was thinking about Artur Dmitriev's new 3Lz-3F combo and was trying to see if Nathan could make use of something like that.

Consider this layout:

4Lz
4F-3T
4S
3A
----
4T-Eu-3F
4T
3Lz-3F
BV=85.9

Compared to this one with two 3As:

4Lz
4F-3T
4S
3A
----
4T-Eu-3F
4T
3A-2T
BV=83.81

In other words, if Nathan could learn the 3Lz3F combo he wouldn't have to repeat 3A! Unless he insists on doing 4Lo, which would give a few points more in BV.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Nathan’s 3A has looked more stable lately at least :p - judging from practice clips from the summer and at The Ice

Wonder if Nathan will be going for 4Lo ...

Also considering his competitors are doing it - Shoma, Yuzuru, now Boyang

Will get to see complete version of Land of All soon!

lurkz2

On the Ice
I was thinking about Artur Dmitriev's new 3Lz-3F combo and was trying to see if Nathan could make use of something like that.

Consider this layout:

4Lz
4F-3T
4S
3A
----
4T-Eu-3F
4T
3Lz-3F
BV=85.9

Compared to this one with two 3As:

4Lz
4F-3T
4S
3A
----
4T-Eu-3F
4T
3A-2T
BV=83.81

In other words, if Nathan could learn the 3Lz3F combo he wouldn't have to repeat 3A! Unless he insists on doing 4Lo, which would give a few points more in BV.

Not a jump expert, but some credible ppl saying that combination is an automatic negative GOE because of the edge.

https://twitter.com/sywtwfs/status/1045687700748226560

https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1045700346931286016

sheetz

Record Breaker
Not a jump expert, but some credible ppl saying that combination is an automatic negative GOE because of the edge.

I was under the impression that it's only the final jump that matters. In any case Dmitriev received positive GOE for the combo. If it really is a concern then jumping 3F-3Lz would solve the edge issue.

lurkz2

On the Ice
I was under the impression that it's only the final jump that matters. In any case Dmitriev received positive GOE for the combo. If it really is a concern then jumping 3F-3Lz would solve the edge issue.

I checked the protocols 4 judges awarded positive GOE while the other 3 judges awarded negative GOE. IMHO not worth the risk for Nathan ATM.

Hollymolly

Medalist
Alex Krasnozhon mentioned about Nathan

[ .... He attended U.S. Figure Skating’s Champs Camp for the first time this August, and took that as an opportunity to see how the country’s top skaters train.

“You get to be alongside the top six, seven men in the country in the senior division and that feeling, it feels really good to skate with those guys. You look at them, and you learn something from them, which is kinda cool,” he says. “You see how they are prepared, and some of them, like Nathan [Chen] and Jason [Brown], you look at what they do and are like, ‘Wow, this is really cool, maybe I want to incorporate that into my training.’ So its not just about showing your programs—you get to see how the best of the best train.” ]

http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2018/09/27/alex-krasnozhon-is-taking-control-of-his-career/

sheetz

Record Breaker
As promised, the second half of the SPUR interview.

On being a byword for quads.
“It’s definitely a part of my identity. Along with the likes of Yuzu, Shoma, and Boyang we ignited the quad explosion, and have competed against one another countless times. However, that’s not the entirety of my figure skating life. The true value of skating is its ability to captivate the audience, and therefore lively jumps like quads are essential. But I also want to master the storytelling and artistry. I want to grow and become stronger until the Beijing Olympics.”

This August he enters Yale University and finds himself in a new situation of having to both compete and study simultaneously.
“I’m often asked when I had time to study during the Olympic season, but since I’m entering college a year after graduating from high school I was able to concentrate on the SAT. For instance, I would skate around the rink, contemplating how to finish up an essay, when suddenly I’d come up with a good idea.”

About juggling both school and skating he firmly states, “I’m getting help from everyone.” He adds, “I think that after my morning classes are finished I’ll be able to devote the remainder of the day to skating. It’ll be trial and error for a while. As far as classes go, I’m aiming to major in statistics while also studying pre-med. Statistics can be used in the fields of education, medicine, or business, although I’ll have to first focus on the required courses. Until now I’ve taken a lot of online classes so I want to try some introductory courses in subjects like psychology or politics to broaden my world. I may end up awakening something that I thought I didn’t like. Kind of like that Saint Laurent knit cardigan.”

Many have voiced their misgivings but he has decided to attend college. On whether he relied on instinct or careful deliberation to make the decision he replies, “I’m not the type to rely on instinct. I examine everything and make a complete overview of things, although on occasion I do use emotion as a guide.

“For me, skating is certainly a part of my life but the time as a skater is short. In singles competition, you are able to improve yourself, but there’s little chance to directly contribute to society and no way to bring about change to the community. That’s why education is necessary. Many in the American skating world believe that school and skating can’t coexist. And that is precisely why I want the kids who are training hard at the rink to see me and know that’s not true, that it’s also important to get a good education.

“By the way, my older sister launched a company involved with CRISPR genome editing. It’s a field of research in which its findings could be applied towards disease detection in the future or even reforming the way hospitals function. I’d like to try to be involved, and though it’s still a vague idea after I graduate from college I’d like to find a job where I can help others.”

As the youngest of five children, Nathan has been deeply instilled with the teachings of his parents. “My parents always continued to guide us. ‘Don’t be content with doing only that which is your specialty. Rather, experience many things and master those in which you have talent. And whatever your chosen path, put 100% of your effort into it. Your life’s goal may seem eternally distant, but if you don’t waste each day a new path will open up.’ When my older brother was competing in a chess tournament I remember them telling him, ‘Even if you can see defeat absolutely never give up. Give it your best until you have nothing left. And when you think you have an easy victory don’t be careless. Whether you’re going to win or lose you have to carry it out to completion.”

Accomplished as both a scholar and a warrior, Nathan is a real-life superhero. I venture to ask whether there was anything he couldn’t do.
“I’m terrible at things having to do with video games. LOL At one time my two older brothers were really into them but they wouldn’t let me have the controllers so all I could do was watch. I never once played when I was a kid so I’m pathetic. I’m skilled at being able to move my body but my fingertips are useless. LOL”

Mamamiia

Medalist
Thank you Sheetz!:luv17:

So when asked what he couldn't do, the only thing he could think of was "video games" .:palmf: Nathan , your finger tips are beautiful!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
so the skater should land on the right edge and then switch edge to make the next jump??? Is that possible?

I think that by definition, the second jump of a combination jump must proceed from the landing edge of the preceding one.

So, barring something like a counter-rotated second jump, the only possible second jump in a standard two-jump combo would be a loop or a toe-loop.

I haven't seen this video, but if his second jump was a flip, that means he HAD to have changed edge. I guess it could still count as a sequence, but it would not be a true combination.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Thanks sheetz for translating!

"I’m skilled at being able to move my body but my fingertips are useless."

seriously LOL

sheetz

Record Breaker
"I’m skilled at being able to move my body but my fingertips are useless."

seriously LOL

"My fingertips are useless."
"I was probably thinking of ramen."
"I can only dance on the ice."

His self deprecation is so cute. :eek::

sheetz

Record Breaker
The combo was interesting to see ...

But I don't think Nathan really needs it? :p

Well, it's an alternative to doing two 3As. But actually, he could also do 3Lz-3Lo for almost the same BV, although I don't know how well Nathan does that combo.

lurkz2

On the Ice
Well, it's an alternative to doing two 3As. But actually, he could also do 3Lz-3Lo for almost the same BV, although I don't know how well Nathan does that combo.

Yes, very important to consider what Nathan does well since GOEs now have greater contribution to score. It is now very important to get high GOEs across the board, and I do think Nathan is working on that.