2018-19 Ladies' power ranking | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Ladies' power ranking

Fluture

Record Breaker
Alina is a lovely girl but contrary to people's opinions, she's not untouchable, even when she was clean today. How things change in two short months since that B event...guess some people will still have to wait until the FS before they realize who the real #1 is now (who BTW has the WR for SP now) ;). Some of us have already recognized that reputation judging can only get a skater so far and that the momentum has been shifting.

I went into this season believing Alina was unbeatable and JO and Nebelhorn only confirmed it to me. Now, I don‘t believe this anymore. Do I believe she is still the one to beat? Yes. And very firmly so. Rika is wonderful, I love her jumps, her spins, her skating skills. I truly believe she‘s the total package. However, I still would wait for the FS. Rika has never been the one to beat heading into the FS. She always came from a bad SP to snatch the title. I very much hope she manages to do well under this new kind of pressure. But we can‘t be so sure and I wouldn‘t be so quick to judge, honestly. Alina and Rika are the top ladies this season and both could win. It just depend on who‘s the cleanest that particular day.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Alina is a lovely girl but contrary to people's opinions, she's not untouchable, even when she was clean today. How things change in two short months since that B event...guess some people will still have to wait until the FS before they realize who the real #1 is now (who BTW has the WR for SP now) ;). Some of us have already recognized that reputation judging can only get a skater so far and that the momentum has been shifting.

Oh Jesus Christ, as you haven't been saying that for a long time.....:rolleye::sarcasm:

Danny T

Medalist
https://youtu.be/Ul7_q9kasuI

10 years later, a program to the same music at the GPF gets rewarded more on PCS with far inferior choreography, interpretation, and skating quality. An unfortunate trend for the last decade.

Dude, I'm not a believer in that saying about not comparing scores across different comps. I think they should be comparable (and judges be held to a standard), but even I wouldn't compare something across 10 YEARS ... Come on, that's reaching. :confused2:

Dude, I'm not a believer in that saying about not comparing scores across different comps. I think they should be comparable (and judges be held to a standard), but even I wouldn't compare something across 10 YEARS ... Come on, that's reaching. :confused2:

But the inflation in scoring indeed has worsened over the years. :think: That's all I'm saying there.

Danny T

Medalist
But the inflation in scoring indeed has worsened over the years. :think: That's all I'm saying there.

Yeah, sure I agree about the inflation. Not sure why it belongs in this thread though? And it sounds like you're picking on Rika specifically, when the PCS rise happens across all 4 disciplines LOL

OMG, that was a really beautiful performance!

Some of the things that she's doing there should really tell people how much has been lost over the years. The skaters today have no use for that kind of footwork technique, or the way she absolutely melts into each spin position (making sure she reaches the maximum stretch of her biellmann and looks upwards to the subtle twinkling music)... it hardly matters when you're already getting maximum GOE and 9+ for PCS categories for far less and far worse.

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
I predict Rika will get higher PCS than Alina in the free if both skate clean. PCS basically now is here to reaffirm the technical score. I may have to adjust my power rankings...I didn't know Alina would be dumped so quickly.

I have to wonder, if the instability of the judges is what is leading to such short lifespans of skaters...when we had Yuna Mao Carolina their PCS (and stronger GOEs) would basically save them from any newcomers, even when they would make mistakes. Not necessarily a good or bad thing, but it seems like the judges today are willing to dump skaters much more easily. (And it's not like there is no more reputation based judging, there still is--it is just that who has the reputation seems to be changing much more)
I wouldn't go that far and compare Zagitova to Kostner/Kim or Asada in terms of artistry. She's a lovely girl but the programs this year are not really that great choreography wise

andromache

Record Breaker
Rika is benefiting from the same sort of sharp increase in PCS that Zagitova received last year. Relative consistency + being from a big name fed + technical superiority + adequate (though not necessarily exceptional) skating skills = high PCS, in most cases.

Last year, Alina was quickly elevated to Evgenia's level. This year, it looks like Rika has quickly elevated to Alina's. The only difference is that Alina isn't out for the first half of the season like Evgenia was last year.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Relative consistency + being from a big name fed + technical superiority + adequate (though not necessarily exceptional) skating skills = high PCS, in most cases.

I think a big federation probably helps, but it's hard to say it is an important factor when all of the skaters with technical superiority come from precisely two countries. I'm just happy it's not a Russian skater with a rapid PCS rise this time. :)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I wouldn't go that far and compare Zagitova to Kostner/Kim or Asada in terms of artistry. She's a lovely girl but the programs this year are not really that great choreography wise

To be fair, Alina might skate programs more like Kim/Asada/Kostner if those styles were rewarded as much as her's is. When we compare skaters from different periods, you'd have to think the great champions would be able to adapt to whatever was being rewarded. People claim Kwan would be a poor COP skater, but if she was trained from the beginning to prioritize other skills, I'm confident she would have and still have been the best of her generation. Alina is another skater who I believe has the versatility and talent to be competitive with any past champions.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

Last year, Alina was quickly elevated to Evgenia's level. This year, it looks like Rika has quickly elevated to Alina's. The only difference is that Alina isn't out for the first half of the season like Evgenia was last year.
Not really. Both skated in GPs. After the GP final, the only international competition of the first part of the season that Medvedeva missed, there was still 3 points PCS gap in SP and 6 points in FS between their personal bests. At olymics Medvedeva still scored more PCS and GOEs than Zagitova. It's the BV that gave Zagitova the gold.
Now, Rika is already getting the same PCS and more GOEs than Alina at GPF

Now, Rika is already getting the same PCS and more GOEs than Alina at GPF

I'm fairly sure it's because of the conspiracy theory I had on this thread... Med vs Zagi was a match-up for the Olympics; Kihira vs Zagi is them wanting a "classic" champion. I do think Zagi being more into it would have fetched her around a point more on PCS, though, and I do think skating against someone rising up and with better overall basics (along with the bad technique reputation she's garnered along the way of the season thus far, leading to her damaging an overall champion's reputation) is hurting her.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
https://youtu.be/Ul7_q9kasuI

10 years later, a program to the same music at the GPF gets rewarded more on PCS with far inferior choreography, interpretation, and skating quality. An unfortunate trend for the last decade.

Well, yeah, Rika is for a now a very Asadaesque and Yunaesque. Yet I see in her bigger own identity than in other Japanese girls. She has her own style, but just needs to keep developing choreographically and find her own image. Typical Japanese style aka Disney-princess+classical soft music is making me a bit zzZZzzzZzzz. Yuna/Asada-imitations are getting old certainly, but yet Rika somehow gives me life. She has personality and charisma, choreography needs to be more original thou.. But that's another question.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think a big federation probably helps, but it's hard to say it is an important factor when all of the skaters with technical superiority come from precisely two countries. I'm just happy it's not a Russian skater with a rapid PCS rise this time. :)

Wait next year for Kostornaya. :) Or are you specifically rooting against Russians? :think:

Well, yeah, Rika is for a now a very Asadaesque and Yunaesque.
I called her performance inferior to Asada's, but that wasn't the point anyway. I was pointing out the general scoring inflation with inferior choreography that goes on today as compared to the past programs.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I called her performance inferior to Asada's, but that wasn't the point anyway. I was pointing out the general scoring inflation with inferior choreography that goes on today as compared to the past programs.

I have no problems with that. Different time, different judges, different tastes. What I don't like is imitations. I want to see some more originality and personality in choreography on ice.

What I don't like is imitations. I want to see some more originality and personality in choreography on ice.

Sure. I don't think she was imitating any particular skater there, just went with a generic program to a "lovely" piece of music. Originality and personality, in terms of actually making a good program, is absent this season, mostly.