Alina Zagitova | Page 899 | Golden Skate

Alina Zagitova

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
there's 100% a correlation, notice how Alina has been growing her hair =)
I assume it helps with getting an additional rotation :laugh:

Ok, now we are moving into the very difficult area of hairodynamics*. What's better - long tail, top-knot, bun, cheburashka buns? :)

johnlawyer999

Rinkside
I saw a lot of arguments about whether Alina has PR or not. Then somebody brought up Teamzagi is the PR for Alina. To me, it may or may not be true, but I can understand why people think that way as there are many photos exclusively or first handedly published by the team ig account while Alina doesn't publish them herself. Regardless, even if it is a true PR, they are doing a good job and nothing wrong with having a PR to back her up. She is a celebrity in figure skating world after all.

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
Ok, now we are moving into the very difficult area of hairodynamics*. What's better - long tail, top-knot, bun, cheburashka buns? :)

hairodynamics - the effect of increasing the stability of the skater to the precession of the axis of rotation (both at spins and jumps) by increasing the weight of hair. As with the Rippon effect, the decrease in the deviation of the axis of rotation from the vertical axis of the body center is associated with the redistribution of body mass relative to the axis of the body center. The most important thing is - this two effects (hairodynamics and Rippon) are summarized!

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
j00mla, let's co-author a textbook on Hairodynamics! Would be great if we could get a preface from the 4A girls :)

hairodynamics - the effect of increasing the stability of the skater to the precession of the axis of rotation (both at spins and jumps) by increasing the weight of hair.
This is going to the new Wiki page on the subject asap!

As with the Rippon effect, the decrease in the deviation of the axis of rotation from the vertical axis of the body center is associated with the redistribution of body mass relative to the axis of the body center.
One shouldn't forget about the Noreg16 constant that is vital for determining the forces applied to the "bottom area" of the skater.

The most important thing is - this two effects (hairodynamics and Rippon) are summarized!
Now I'll just have to recall all the formulae from maths and physics I studied quite a while ago to work out the functional connection between ponytails and quads. And if the way I studied in college is any indicator, I'll need a lot (A LOT!!!) of beer. Oh, the sacrifices one's ready to make for the sake of science...

patee

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
When I first saw the photos, one of the thoughts was: well, while the fans & the h8ters are obsessing about the 'scandal', Alina's just being Alina - a happy, sincere and kind girl, that knows what's really important in life. :laugh:

That's it! :agree::clap:

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
hairodynamics - the effect of increasing the stability of the skater to the precession of the axis of rotation (both at spins and jumps)

There is one common misconception about hair. The most important thing is that your hair allows you to change your principal axes of intertia and thus avoid the Dzhanibekov effect (which would obviously be ruinous for your GOE), but all this only matters once you get to the orbit. This is why very few girls like Trusova and Shcherbakova find it useful to grow a long hair. For many others it's nothing but a cargo cult.

zounger

Medalist
There is one common misconception about hair. The most important thing is that your hair allows you to change your principal axes of intertia and thus avoid the Dzhanibekov effect (which would obviously be ruinous for your GOE), but all this only matters once you get to the orbit. This is why very few girls like Trusova and Shcherbakova find it useful to grow a long hair. For many others it's nothing but a cargo cult.

Then Dudakov must have been graduated from MIPT :biggrin:

tempo

On the Ice

Accordingly to theoretical mechanics (the theorem about placement of the center of gravity of a particles system and the Steiner's theorem) if a body have additional hair behind the head, then the center of gravity will be moved upward and backwards. Both dispacements will change your principal axes of inertia, of course. While displacement backward may decrease the Dzhanibekov effect (that may be), but what will cause the shifting upward - better balance or disbalance in rotation? It is not clear for me.

Another paradox. To make more turns in a jump, the skater uses a greater angular velocity. But this leads to an increase in the quadratic dependence of the kinetic energy of the rotational motion. That is, the more turns a jump has, the more energy a skater spends. This is a known fact. But the addition of additional mass to the body increases the moment of inertia of the body, and this also increases the kinetic energy of rotation (in a linear relationship). That is, the mass of additional hair further increases the energy costs of the skater. So why is it easier for them to jump quads? Paradox.

It seems to me that the matter here is more in the better balance of rotation of an asymmetrical body (which the human body is) relative to the vertical principal axis, despite a slight increase in the moment of inertia and rotational kinetic energy.