2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 732 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
With the proven reputation of all the podium contenders, with Alyona wanting to take her second wicket down and get a golden entry into GPF, with Alina wanting to prove she is still the senior leader, with Rika wanting to win at home and prove she is the best, this competition is going to be very intense.

No doubt Eteri Georgiyevna wants to be witness of two of her best skaters giving it their all, and be supportive to both of them, and perhaps wanting to strike some lucrative deals for her team in the coming winter and off-season Japan commercial shows, she will be at the boarding and beyond, doing business.

We, as fans, can only wish for clean skating from everyone, and fair judging to all competitors.

I am going to sneak out from work tomorrow to watch the live stream, and see Alyona skate into newly discovered territory for her, those soaring triksels solo and in combination.
And wishing for the ultimate in 'axelcam' recordings to add some triksels to the record books.

Fluture

Record Breaker
In Rika's age (which was whole two months ago :) ), Alina was already an olympic champion, a GPF champion and a world champion, among other titles. And last but not least, Alina has beaten Rika twice this year already.

And? Skaters are different, their journeys are different too. Aliona is 16 and yet this is her first senior season. At her age Alina was an Olympic Champion already. And so what? The titles Alina has won at Rika’s (or Aliona’s...) age doesn‘t change that Rika is a top skater right now and one who‘s at “the highest level“ and can very well contend with Alina and Aliona. (which was the only thing the post you quoted was showing - it was an answer to someone who sarcastically asked whether Rika really was at the highest level) It also doesn‘t change that Rika has beaten Alina before, at an official ISU competition. Alina has beaten Rika, too, and at Worlds no less, which is what makes the upcoming competition so exciting. There are three equally great ladies who have posted scores before that are in a pretty similar range. They‘re all in to win the Gold and it will probably be decided by who‘s the cleanest. I think that‘s great and I‘ll look forward to seeing it. I like that they all have a chance to win. Imo, there‘s no need to elevate one‘s favorite by stating how much more accomplished they were at a certain age than their rival. What counts is the “now“. And considering that Rika is planning a quad and three 3As... I‘d say she‘s skating at the “highest level“ alright. ;) (as are Aliona and Alina... but that‘s not being questioned)

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I mean by this logic one could say that Alina isn’t at the “highest level” right now based on her performances in France. But I certainly wouldn’t make that argument based on the results of one competition so why do it to Rika regarding Worlds.

Rika and the 4A are the top 5 lady skaters in the World right now period, and with the exception of Trusova looking more and more like a lock for first, they could finish in any order. Rika isn’t inherently last in that scenario by any means.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I mean by this logic one could say that Alina isn’t at the “highest level” right now based on her performances in France. But I certainly wouldn’t make that argument based on the results of one competition so why do it to Rika regarding Worlds.

Rika and the 4A are the top 5 lady skaters in the World right now period, and with the exception of Trusova looking more and more like a lock for first, they could finish in any order. Rika isn’t inherently last in that scenario by any means.

Exactly. Applying one‘s rules only to one skater and then conveniently ignoring them for the favorite doesn‘t sit right with me. Rika and Alina are clearly both top level skaters. I’d never judge by IdF alone for Alina, considering that she‘s had much better performances this season. That’s why I don’t understand why anyone would judge Rika by Worlds LAST season when she’s competed at a GP this very season and got a of 230+ without even her 3Lz?

I‘m not saying Rika is that much ahead, I actually think she‘s not. Trying the quad is very risky and if she falls or makes any other tiny mistake, a clean Alina can easily surpass her. As for Alina herself... well, her best skates after OG have all been in Japan, she‘s relaxed and happy there. So I expect clean performances that I‘m sure she‘s capable of.

I‘m never sure what to expect from Aliona, despite her showing how consistent she is. That 3A just scares me. Many skaters need months or even years to stabilize the jump and here she comes with a great 3A that‘s only UR some of the times? Confusing lol. But if she skates like she did in France, she‘s got a great chance for Gold as well! Still... this might be the only GP where I wouldn‘t even want to make any predictions - because it can literally go either way.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
And? Skaters are different, their journeys are different too. Aliona is 16 and yet this is her first senior season. At her age Alina was an Olympic Champion already. And so what? The titles Alina has won at Rika’s (or Aliona’s...) age doesn‘t change that Rika is a top skater right now and one who‘s at “the highest level“ and can very well contend with Alina and Aliona. (which was the only thing the post you quoted was showing - it was an answer to someone who sarcastically asked whether Rika really was at the highest level) It also doesn‘t change that Rika has beaten Alina before, at an official ISU competition. Alina has beaten Rika, too, and at Worlds no less, which is what makes the upcoming competition so exciting. There are three equally great ladies who have posted scores before that are in a pretty similar range. They‘re all in to win the Gold and it will probably be decided by who‘s the cleanest. I think that‘s great and I‘ll look forward to seeing it. I like that they all have a chance to win. Imo, there‘s no need to elevate one‘s favorite by stating how much more accomplished they were at a certain age than their rival. What counts is the “now“. And considering that Rika is planning a quad and three 3As... I‘d say she‘s skating at the “highest level“ alright. ;) (as are Aliona and Alina... but that‘s not being questioned)

Why there should be any "and"? We've been informed by a person, who has some problems whenever Alina's name appears to hold her negativity towards her, that Alina at one competition lost to Rika, obviously completely misunderstanding the original comment (and so did you) she was responding to. So, I gave some opposite example, because, as we are often reminded by a people who enjoy bringing others into the line, we are in the russian ladies thread, and I didn't intend to put any other "and" into it. I don't see a problem in that, even if those, who have hiccups whenever the name Alina appears in a positive context, probably see it different (all in all interresting that they don't feel the need to remind people that Alina is a top competitor, while with Rika we could probably forget :devil: ).

Scott512

Record Breaker
In Rika's age (which was whole two months ago :) ), Alina was already an olympic champion, a GPF champion and a world champion, among other titles. And last but not least, Alina has beaten Rika twice this year already.
Where has Alina beaten Rika twice this season?

Alinas body of work is much greater than Rikas even though they're almost the same age.

Rika is really good and a threat to win any time. No question 4A and Kihira are the top five no matter what the rankings say. It should be a very exciting season.

Nord Stream 2

Match Penalty

Alinas body of work is much greater than Rikas even though they're almost the same age.

Rika is really good and a threat to win any time. No question 4A and Kihira are the top five no matter what the rankings say. It should be a very exciting season.

It was written that she beat "this year". Two times at Rika’s house.
By the way, here is a set of Kihira for a free program in Sapporo 4S / 3A+2T / 3Lz / 3A // 3Lz+3T / 3F+1Eu+3S / 3Lo

Serious bid.

Arbitrary

Medalist
By the way, here is a set of Kihira for a free program in Sapporo 4S / 3A+2T / 3Lz / 3A // 3Lz+3T / 3F+1Eu+3S / 3Lo

Serious bid.
This is enough against clean Anna, not enough against clean Sasha. But okay for Sasha minus one.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

As Nord Stream 2 explained already, it is "this year", which means worlds and Japan Open. And it somehow came to my mind :biggrin:

Now realistically, if Aliona and Rika will skate clean with all their planned content, it would be hard for Alina to gain 1st or 2nd place (even when people obviously like to forget that her top scores are still higher than those two), but the amount of doubts is always so high when it comes to her, that I can't resist to reply the people the same way they did previously.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
New show and game program exclusive to figure skating launched by Perviy Kanal 1tv.ru: https://www.1tv.ru/sport/fk/vypuski...ty-figurnogo-kataniya-fk-vypusk-ot-21-11-2019 , probably riding high on the waves of the Amazing Awesome Aces, leading up to the National Championships.

Many guests are being promised, first guest was Anna Shcherbakova. Shy at first, once comfortable Anna turned out a fast and eloquent talker, and a very funny one too.

She was asked to comment her own free skating routine, even did some in English off the top of her head, but noticed her small errors and looked back with some humour on her loss of concentration in the preceding short program.

She commented some of figure skating 'slang', like kwadist(ka), meaning skaters that jump quads, and Anna talked with Nathan Chen about quads. Загиботы и Медвеботы also were in the quizz put to Anna, but the English translation of these words is prohibited on this board.

Anna smartly evaded questions about her prize money and other earnings etc.

Anna and the host has some fun over her 'padded shorts' protecting her 'softest' body part, LOL.

Again Anna showed her smartness when asked about food, weight and such, she just couldn't be tricked ;-)

Anna commented honestly about her rehabilitation period after breaking her leg, and how her trainers helped her to gain her footing 'literally on the ice' and her self confidence.

Anna is a child of our times, she didn't recognise a Walkman, Tamagochi and other old devices that once were in every child and youth's hand.

Like I've said in another posting, over the last few events and interviews, these Khrustalniy skaters really come over as smart and on top of the matter, assertive and in command. Their trainers treat them as independently minded, responsible, as bright young adults, and this shows in their behaviour IMO.

Overall, a very nice guest Anna proved to be, talkative and funny. Hopefully the future episodes with different star skaters will be as entertaining.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
4S / 3A+2T / 3Lz / 3A // 3Lz+3T / 3F+1Eu+3S / 3Lo

Just to discuss what is enough and where.

The BV of this setup is:
9.70 + 8.00 + 1.30 + 5.90 + 8.00 + 1.1 * (5.90 + 4.20 + 5.30 + 0.50 + 4.30 + 4.90) = 60.51

For comparison, Sasha's BV is:
4S / 4Lz / 4T+3T / 2A // 4T + 1Eu + 3S / 3Lz + 3Lo / 3Lz
9.70 + 11.50 + 9.50 + 4.20 + 3.30 + 1.1 * (9.50 + 0.50 + 4.30 + 5.90 + 4.90 + 5.90) = 72.3

Now, GOEs and how clean this would be?
(taking averages of this year, or when from last year, or making it up at random when needed, falls and fall deductions are factoring in)
(not taking into accounts doubles and pops, so this is a somewhat optimistic scenario)
For Rika , assuming clean 4S
12.7 + 10.6 + 7.9 + 7.9 + 11.0 + 12.2 + 5.5 = 67.8

Now, Trusova's TES...
3 quads, 2 big mistakes (JGP) 79.41
3 quads, 1 big mistake (JW) 86.96
3 quads, cleanish (Nepela) 98.34
4 quads, 1 mistake (Skate Canada) 100.20
4 quads, 2 big mistakes (Rostelecom) 95.34

So, my thoughts here. Clean Rika has 6-7 points advantage in SP over Sasha.
In FS, Rika has 5 points PCs advantage.
That makes 12 points.

Lets add that on top of the BV+GOE above, makes 80 points. A clean Rika would be around 90.
Conclusion: only if Trusova lands only one quad, and IF Rika is clean, if Sasha lands 2 quads out of 4.

Sasha with 1 mistake is still WAY out of reach.

wait something's wrong.
Did you only count jump BV+GOE for Rika?
67.8 is just jumps BV, right? we have to add her non-jump elements to her 67.8, her spins, stsq.
Because a 100 of Trusova includes those

moriel

Record Breaker
wait something's wrong.
Did you only count jump BV+GOE for Rika?
67.8 is just jumps BV, right? we have to add her non-jump elements to her 67.8, her spins, stsq.
Because a 100 of Trusova includes those

oh yeah dang got lazy, post removed.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden

Serious bid.

Holy smokes! :scard7: running off to change my predictions...

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
4S / 3A+2T / 3Lz / 3A // 3Lz+3T / 3F+1Eu+3S / 3Lo

Just to discuss what is enough and where.

The BV of this setup is:
9.70 + 8.00 + 1.30 + 5.90 + 8.00 + 1.1 * (5.90 + 4.20 + 5.30 + 0.50 + 4.30 + 4.90) = 60.51

For comparison, Sasha's BV is:
4S / 4Lz / 4T+3T / 2A // 4T + 1Eu + 3S / 3Lz + 3Lo / 3Lz
9.70 + 11.50 + 9.50 + 4.20 + 3.30 + 1.1 * (9.50 + 0.50 + 4.30 + 5.90 + 4.90 + 5.90) = 72.3

Now, GOEs and how clean this would be?
(taking averages of this year, or when from last year, or making it up at random when needed, falls and fall deductions are factoring in)
(not taking into accounts doubles and pops, so this is a somewhat optimistic scenario)
For Rika , assuming clean 4S
12.7 + 10.6 + 7.9 + 7.9 + 11.0 + 12.2 + 5.5 = 67.8

Now, Trusova's TES...
3 quads, 2 big mistakes (JGP) 79.41
3 quads, 1 big mistake (JW) 86.96
3 quads, cleanish (Nepela) 98.34
4 quads, 1 mistake (Skate Canada) 100.20
4 quads, 2 big mistakes (Rostelecom) 95.34

So, my thoughts here. Clean Rika has 6-7 points advantage in SP over Sasha.
In FS, Rika has 5 points PCs advantage.
That makes 12 points.

Lets add that on top of the BV+GOE above, makes 80 points. A clean Rika would be around 90.
Conclusion: only if Trusova lands only one quad, and IF Rika is clean, if Sasha lands 2 quads out of 4.

Sasha with 1 mistake is still WAY out of reach.

Rika's BV (with 4S, two 3As and two 3Lzs) is 76,81 with all of her spins, steps and choreo sequence. If you give her the same GOE she got at e.g. SCI she will get a TES of 96-98, if clean (rotated 4S etc.). With 71 points for PCs added (her SCI PCs), this will be score of 166-168 points for the FS, added with a score of 81-82 in the SP, this will be a total competition score of 247-250

SkatingFan9

On the Ice
This is enough against clean Anna, not enough against clean Sasha. But okay for Sasha minus one.

A completely clean Trusova will always win, even without a 3A. By the way, Trusova's PCS in the FS of SC was only 4 points lower than Kihira's. And we all know that Trusova's PCS will keep rising as the season progresses. It will probably be 70+ by Worlds, whether some people like it or not.

andromache

Record Breaker
I know Rika is considered the only non-Russian competitor to have a chance at beating the top Russian ladies this season, but I really don't think this is the appropriate thread to break down her BV, scoring potential, etc. It is one thing to mention the Russian ladies' competition in passing, but to dedicate so many posts and words to a non-Russian skater? This is the Russian ladies thread, I come here for discussion of the Russian ladies, and some of these posts seem pretty off-topic. Maybe post your Rika analysis in the Japanese ladies thread or the NHK competition forum.... :slink:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
No, I object to splitting this topic. This is a valid, useful and detailed comparison between the top contenders for first place in Grand Prix Finals and World Championships.
Four happen to be Russian, the other is Japanese.

I rather have and want to read these discussions on actual skating and scoring that the endless battles in rhetorics on far less interesting and useful topics.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Who is the young skater who won in France? She was an absolute delight to watch. With Russia's deep field, does she have a chance to make the world team? I looked her up, her name is Alena Kostornaia. Love her skating.