Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was a general response to an earlier post referencing other skaters with equipment problems. I just happened to have a link to Michelle's experience. It is very sad when you have something to add to an ongoing discussion and can't even respond without upsetting someone.

Yes, the point was that other skaters have had boot problems. And having the heel come off of your boot shortly before you are set to take the ice is pretty serious.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I believe Evgenia and her coaches. But the look Eteri gave during the announcement was very dubious and enough for rumors to spread world wide. She clearly implied she did not buy the explanation or the action bu her former student. It really wasn’t very nice as she knew she was on Camera.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
It’s really interesting to see how differently people interpret the same video. I see Eteri half-smirking because the cameraman was up in her face and she thought it was stupid when her top3 students are RIGHT THERE.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I just read her boot fell apart and watched her sp in Russia. She skated very well and placed very well con side ring current Russian trends. It was what I expected as she is loved and held up. But she deserved to do well. I was thinking maybe she could apply for Canadian citizenship because she badly wants to get to another Olympics. What is the wait in Canada? I know right now she isn’t thinking this but so many countries would love to have her represent. With the whole drug ban issue continuing maybe she should give it thought if it is even possible. Canada has no lady right now who is top . I don’t think there is any junior either which is amazing given all that ice. In the USA we have BRADIE And Mariah and Alysa Liu coming up. Maybe more. I would hate to see Zhenya leave skating because Russia is so deep in jumpers now. Perhaps if she can learn a quad like Liza who is four years older. Mirai Nagasu learned triple axel relatively late. I think both Zhenya and Alina must do this in order to stay competitive. I don’t like Liza at all style wise but they gave her fourth. Because of the jumps. Others skated far better than her so in Russia you need a quad or two or two axels to stay on podium. Let us hope Zhenya does feel she can do this with Orser in the lead.

She could skate for Ukraine. I just want to see her overcome and skate again. She loves Russia but the Russfed has moved on from her so she needs to maybe do likewise. Opinions?

Ryabova represents Azerbaijan and Kurakova Poland, but there are not many of them indeed.

I believe Evgenia and her coaches. But the look Eteri gave during the announcement was very dubious and enough for rumors to spread world wide. She clearly implied she did not buy the explanation or the action bu her former student. It really wasn’t very nice as she knew she was on Camera.
the look as millions of people saw it Eteri was annoyed she was on camera right as they were making the announcement of evgenias withdrawal. That's why she had an annoyed look on her face she knew her former pupil had already withdrawn way before that.

It’s really interesting to see how differently people interpret the same video. I see Eteri half-smirking because the cameraman was up in her face and she thought it was stupid when her top3 students are RIGHT THERE.
I totally agree. She was pissed the camera was on her right as the announcement was going down of evgenias withdrawal from Nationals. That's why she turned her head away. But some people I want to believe what they want to believe,

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
What about Trusova’s laughing? By all accounts she and Medvedeva were close and there was footage of Medvedeva and Trusova with her dog. But that laugh?

I’m just not certain I buy the theory that she (Eteri) was annoyed with the camera. I mean, she’s a professional and used to the camera. She knew it would be on her. These girls and Eteri are practically pros with the media now.

And to clarify- I am not against Trusova at all. Of the 3A, I feel the most sorry for her right now. She’s being overlooked and I feel maybe pushed the wrong way. But that’s a whole other issue in itself.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't ever believe skaters are disrespecting each other unless they come right out and say it. A lot of people thought there was tension between Ashley and Gracie at one point, but Ashley was one of the first people to help Gracie when she started exhibiting signs of personal struggles.

Momtoiceprincess

Rinkside
What about Trusova’s laughing? By all accounts she and Medvedeva were close and there was footage of Medvedeva and Trusova with her dog. But that laugh?

I’m just not certain I buy the theory that she (Eteri) was annoyed with the camera. I mean, she’s a professional and used to the camera. She knew it would be on her. These girls and Eteri are practically pros with the media now.

And to clarify- I am not against Trusova at all. Of the 3A, I feel the most sorry for her right now. She’s being overlooked and I feel maybe pushed the wrong way. But that’s a whole other issue in itself.

How do you feel she's being overlooked & pushed the wrong way? She generates most media attention

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
I’m not trying to be controversial or start unnecessary arguments, but I do feel Trusova could be winning just based on what she’s putting out. No need to go for so many quads. She has the goods. Personally, I feel her coaches need to further develop her skating. Give her more balanced programs and she’d be dominating. I suspect I’m not alone in thinking this. She is a rare talent, but going for the absolute maximums vs focusing on perhaps 3 quads and skating clean, is hurting her. Maybe next season her team will take a different approach. She’s being absolutely overlooked by Anna and Alena. Maybe she’ll come out and nail everything at Europeans and Worlds. But when is the last time she skated a clean SP and LP in the same competition?

I almost feel that if any of the 3A decide to leave the coach, it would be Trusova.

PekkaRink

Rinkside

So, you are not against Trusova at all but choose to interpret her laughing in the absurdest way possible, i.e. that she is making fun of Zhenya’s boot issue / withdrawal? Why, oh why..
I was really hoping that ridiculous theory would be a single opinion in Zhenya‘s fan fest.

And I interpreted her little half smile even differently from that. I thought it was a blank "no emotion, no drama" look that displayed no reaction at all to the announcement.

Momtoiceprincess

Rinkside
Going into Russian nationals I got the impression it was Anna who was overlooked. All the media attention & online focus was Sasha vs Alyona while Anna quietly gets on with things & gets the job done... I do feel Alyona & Anna have been given much more artistic progammes than Sasha, she needs to find her image & not be seen as a jumping machine to music....

Amei

Record Breaker
I’m not trying to be controversial or start unnecessary arguments, but I do feel Trusova could be winning just based on what she’s putting out. No need to go for so many quads. She has the goods. Personally, I feel her coaches need to further develop her skating. Give her more balanced programs and she’d be dominating. I suspect I’m not alone in thinking this. She is a rare talent, but going for the absolute maximums vs focusing on perhaps 3 quads and skating clean, is hurting her. Maybe next season her team will take a different approach. She’s being absolutely overlooked by Anna and Alena. Maybe she’ll come out and nail everything at Europeans and Worlds. But when is the last time she skated a clean SP and LP in the same competition?

I almost feel that if any of the 3A decide to leave the coach, it would be Trusova.

Being overlooked by whom? If you listen to the commentators on the GP you would think that she is the only ladies skater doing quads, fans most seem to be of the same opinion once she skates somewhat clean she'll win gold over Kostornaia and Shcherbakova, her coaches seem to let her do what she wants - she's loves to jump and based on what you see in her programs that's what she focuses on in training. She gets low PCS because similar to Tuktamysheva she (though she has more difficult jumps) she spends a lot of time focusing on setting up from jump to jump and because she's skating messy.

champagnerain

Final Flight
This thread has been...a wild ride. :scratch2:

Starts with a title about Evgenia's boot problems, but actually basically begins as a thread about why Evgenia should switch to Canada. Then a blame game about skaters not bringing two pairs of boots to competitions and a brief discussion that actually deals with the topic at hand, with some asserting that it's rare to bring more than one pair of boots to competition (which current and former skaters also backed elsewhere). Then a fight about whether Orser or Eteri is a better coach. Then conspiracy theories about Evgenia faking boot problems to dramatically withdraw from the competition. Then it gets back on track to talk about boots for a hot minute...but then everyone starts reading deeply into Eteri's facial expression and Trusova laughing as obviously being scorn toward Evgenia? And now...arguing about which of Eteri's students is the most overlooked?

What is this thread, though? :palmf: :rofl: :drama: :dbana:

If I were to re-title this thread, I don't even think I could come up with a name for it, but if it was ever about "Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals," it was only briefly. :palmf:

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
Truthfully I haven’t read the entire thread, but I don’t see anyone arguing in the last few pages (at least). I see people posting their thoughts and opinions and not doing so in a way to provoke board fighting.

Just because someone doesn’t have the same opinion as yours doesn’t mean he/ she is arguing. You won’t always be right, you won’t always be wrong, but if you think that any topic you disagree with is an argument then you’re in for a lifetime of battles. 😂

skateluvr

Record Breaker
And I interpreted her little half smile even differently from that. I thought it was a blank "no emotion, no drama" look that displayed no reaction at all to the announcement.

I think the fact the students were laughing shows how poorly Zhenya is being treated behind her back by these little girls. I see groupthink at work here. Eteri was smirking because she does not buy the story of the boot and wanted us all to know it. Trusova was simply disrespectful. That club is a viper pit at this point in terms of back stabbing. All that Russian Drama from Eteri and Plushenko and Tat shows what these people are really like to each other behind the scenes. Catty doesn’t begin to describe it. More people leave this group than stay and be treated like leftovers. And for very good reason. We are not blind and stupid. Alina looked miserable around all of them. My hope she is done with that group. Only more tears are there unless she is capable and willing to learn trixel and two quads. Why should she risk great injury if they no longer respect what she can do? She should have quit before allowing them to humiliate her. But herOly means a lot to these girls, Zhenya didn’t leave her country just her coach and they are making her pay. A two time world champion. I really wonder how Zhenya is being treated these days by the arussian Fed. Probably like a traitor because she went to Canada which is very sad. I now see she could never skate for another country to stay at the top because they would just stab her some more. Her very best is no longer respected and she is a mature skater now in every way. What a pity.

The drama over there gets very annoying. I’ll bet the majority if they watched agree with what I saw. It was disrespectful to Zhenya and her team. Orser is too classy to be drawn into it.

Eteri threw total shade last year at Orser after Zhenya went to him, by telling us in interview how much she loved Boitano. Really, Boitano? Not the great Russians Victor Petrenko or Urmanov? She is very nationalistic. They all are. I can’t believe how egotistical these people are. Children watch the adults in the room and fall in line and imitate. That is what I am seeing. Who even knows how Zhenya was treated in Russia this time by this gang of coaches and girls who think she is a has been at this point. I have never seen such OPEN backstabbing in US, Canada or Japan as what has been happening with the Russian coaches. It seems rather cutthroat to me. I’m sure it can be cutthroat in every federation but never can I recall Drama like this. Please let us not include the once in a life time mess of Tonya. Let us not forget Butyrskaya had her car blown up.

For Drama this group takes the cake.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That can be provided!

Except it can't... it must have been archived. Oh sad, sad day.

Bagged milk is a plot by Eville Canadians for skating hegemony. Michelle Kwan probably drank bagged milk, which is why she was never really a real success. I mean, who would ever think Michelle Kwan was a success? Because of bagged milk.