2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 1204 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Skuratov

On the Ice
"Alexandra Trusova, Anna Shcherbakova and Aliona Kostornaia -- the '3As' -- exploded onto the scene last season, and ladies' figure skating will never be the same!."

I like this.

Aside Note:
For Russia they were/are: TShK
For rest of World they were: " The 3A", "3A's", and so on.

colormyworld240

Medalist
When a skater leaves a coach, I think there's a line between that can and cannot be said by professionals. I think both coaches and skaters can give their side of the story and there isn't anything wrong with saying you didn't hear from your coach/skater when you tried to contact them. I think it's alright when Daniil said that. It is a huge issue when accusations are being made such as saying Sasha is a traitor. That really has nothing to do with providing information about the split, it's just childish and unprofessional behaviour.

As for skaters retiring with Eteri, I don't think any of the female skaters actually retired while she was coaching them (maybe Shelepen?). They chose to leave, then retired after leaving. And as far as I know, Eteri didn't kick any of them out (except Alina but she came back, though interestingly enough she did say she was going to quit skating after Eteri kicked her out, didn't she?). Whatever reasons they had to leave, be it internal competition, differences of opinions etc., none of her ex skaters have expressed that it was due to a lack of effort from Eteri, Sergei, or Daniil. That's why I don't buy the "replacing" argument; though others may rise through the ranks and overtake others, the team isn't removing one for the other. It's the nature of the competition within the rink.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I think we could use some perspective here. There is nothing wrong with saying "Alexandra Trusova, Anna Shcherbakova and Aliona Kostornaia -- the '3As' -- exploded onto the scene last season, and lades' figure skating will never be the same!."

Just like the 1988 men's Olympic dual was "the battle of the Brians."

As for 'Amila, 'Aria and 'Aya, that's a clever one-time witticism. Where is the harm in any of this?

It was not "one-time":

Anyways, if it does not work with Alina, they can always make Kamila change her name to Amila, to keep the tall of "3A" going lol

The pattern (in connection with other comments about russian skaters) can't be overlooked.

If Fluture has suggested that we are in this thread because we love russian ladies, I can say with all the responsibility that this can't be applied to this user.

As for some users that are suddenly "concerned" by considering the "3A" abbreviation disrespectful, I say it's just another pseudoproblem and a way how to invent nonexisting problems for whatever purpose.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Yes, indeed, I was just mocking the whole 3A thing. While the fans likely mean it in good way, it confirms what many casual figure skating fans say about how they do not bother to remember all those Russian names, because next years there will be other Russian names to remember.

3A could be explain that is is sorta funny coincidence that top three skaters have names starting with one letter... the VUK thing seems... just superlazy.

Uh, I think you're reading too much into an abbreviation. Its a fun nickname with a play on words, and a convenient way to refer to them. These three are often referred to together because they are three girls the same age, from the same training camp who burst onto the top of the senior scene at the same time, with historical technical content. Typing out "Shcherbakova, Trusova, and Kostornaya" takes a lot longer than "3A", especially if you're saying it a few times in a paragraph. Same thing with Valieva/Usacheva/Khromykh ... but yeah say people are lazy for using abbreviations... have you never used an abbreviation? Scientists do it all the time and I wouldn't call them lazy... And no it doesn't "confirm" that fans don't bother to learn Russian names because there will be new ones next year, because the ones that don't know their names aren't the ones using the abbreviation. The fans using the abbreviation tend to be like the posters on this forum, who know a lot about them (including their names).

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
I don’t feel like anyone is picking on the nickname of the 3A, rather pointing out that the girls don’t like the nickname and want to be known for being individuals. Each one wants the gold and the glory. But, at the same time, their coach and team are marketing them as the 3A, or as Eteri’s #teamforprogress. The fans are fine with any member of Eteri’s team winning, because it’s a win for Eteri. But these girls each want to win gold, and only one can.
I have to wonder how much of that played a role in Trusova’s decision to leave. She is very motivated and makes it clear her goal is winning. After all, this was never a team sport.

macy

Record Breaker
A genuine question not related to any recent statement here but rather sth I get from reading through this platform: Why do some posters insist that Medvedeva has improved since leaving Eteri?
She has reworked her 2A and when she lands it, it is improved indeed (not when she falls tho) and had tried to improve the flutz but other than that there is only regression...?
She is slower, her spins have gotten worse, sometimes she doesn't get the levels anymore, programs have been simplified, less transitions, she is very inconsistent.
The interpretation part is subjective. I do think it has improved cause she has finally stopped the miming, but the miming had nothing to do with her old coaches cause she was the only one in that group doing that do the extent that it was at.
So while there may be one or two things that have improved, overall she has clearly regressed to the point of not even making the GPF.

Now I'm not saying this regression is to blame on Orser or that it would never have happened had she stayed with Eteri. It would probably have happened under any circumstance cause her technique cannot sustain her new body, injuries etc. And maybe Eteri did recommend her to retire. But not cause she was done with her, but rather cause she could see in which direction it was going?
It's not her fault, neither her new coach's. But I do wonder why people keep pushing the narrative that she "has improved so much" and "makes great progress" etc ?

IMO i think there are quite a few ways her skating has gotten better, but i think there are things that would have been inevitable no matter who coached her.

she is 20 now, a full grown adult with a different body than she had when she was successful with Eteri. she also had a serious injury in 2018. her spins, speed and most likely consistency would have suffered regardless.

she has been inconsistent since the switch for an obvious reason- reworking technique which noticeably got better this season. her technique with Eteri was extremely upper body focused, which probably contributed some extent to her back injury.

if she had stayed with Eteri following the Olympics, i don't think she'd be in any different of a place than she is now. she may have even been worse off. she switched to Orser because she knew her body couldn't keep up with the demands of training with Eteri, so she moved to get more time out of her career.

no matter who coached her, ultra si was still on the way with 3A and others. she would have fallen behind regardless, which is expected as the seasons go on. she wouldn't have been able to train a quad while injured anyway, and probably still wouldn't have made GPF this year.

she still has the highest total score of any senior lady without a 3A or quad last season.

it's been obvious the most important thing to Zhenya is that she is much happier now, and that's what matters.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Thing or Eteri is that if one doesn't work out, she has the next one ready. She doesn't have to spend her time correcting and making sustainable technique with one of her students when the next one is right there.

Exactly, the system in place is built this way so you get more results embracing rather than trying to change it. (it has to be said she basically built this system, so not only they can't change it but probably don't want to)

Arbitrary

Medalist
Tuktamisheva said in her latest interview:
- Planning a quad for the new season.

Will it be the most senior attempt among ladies?

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice

People only like the old ones, after they struggle. Like look at the response towards Yulia during the Olympics vs when Evgenia came onto the scene, and then with Evgenia in 2016 vs when people realized that Alina was going to beat her. And in the Olympic season people were picking on Alina's artistry, pretty face and tutu, jump technique, and such and now some of it's gotten worse and people worship her.

starlight97

Final Flight
Is Novogorsk the same training base that the rhythmic gymnasts live at? Like is it one big sports complex they use for many disciplines?

Fried

Final Flight
Novogorsk training base will be open from May 25th.
If I have followed this correctly so far, Sasha's transfer has not yet been officially confirmed by the FFKR. Does this have an impact on the start of her training?

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
If I have followed this correctly so far, Sasha's transfer has not yet been officially confirmed by the FFKR. Does this have an impact on the start of her training?

It shouldn't, since she's a member of the national team; Novogorsk official said they are expecting around 60 skaters to come there (after they all pass mandatory med screening and two covid tests); so most probably Sasha will start training with the rest in mid-June (and by that time the bureaucrats will push the papers, too) - that is, if she'll come at all, she might opt for training at the AoP instead.