2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 1205 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Fried

Final Flight
Isn't AoP privatly owned? So in theory, she could train there as long as nobody is near her, right?
I do not know which regulations currently apply in Moscow, when you can leave the house, how often and for what purpose. And somehow it is not a nice idea to know Sasha at the Corona Hotspot Moscow.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I do not know which regulations currently apply in Moscow, when you can leave the house, how often and for what purpose. And somehow it is not a nice idea to know Sasha at the Corona Hotspot Moscow.

Yes there are many questions. Can they travel outside of Moscow ? Is that allowed? Can they use another training centers in a less infected territory?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
People only like the old ones, after they struggle. Like look at the response towards Yulia during the Olympics vs when Evgenia came onto the scene, and then with Evgenia in 2016 vs when people realized that Alina was going to beat her. And in the Olympic season people were picking on Alina's artistry, pretty face and tutu, jump technique, and such and now some of it's gotten worse and people worship her.

I have never enjoyed Med’s skating. The miming. The egregious flutz that is never called. I mean, what’s the point of the “e” if such an obvious flutz like that isn’t called?

mdl

On the Ice
People only like the old ones, after they struggle. Like look at the response towards Yulia during the Olympics vs when Evgenia came onto the scene, and then with Evgenia in 2016 vs when people realized that Alina was going to beat her. And in the Olympic season people were picking on Alina's artistry, pretty face and tutu, jump technique, and such and now some of it's gotten worse and people worship her.

well, not everybody, there are also people that like them since the begging of their carrier and enjoy to see how they grow.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I have never enjoyed Med’s skating. The miming. The egregious flutz that is never called. I mean, what’s the point of the “e” if such an obvious flutz like that isn’t called?

Is it just me who wouldn't have noticed Evgenia's "miming" at all if people wouldn't talk about it so much? :)

As for the Lz, yes, she never had the best lutz under the sun, but I think the troubles are exaggerated. Like Kaetlyn Osmond had very similar Lz troubles (I dare to say it was worse in average), though never was her Lz mentioned as often as Medvedeva's (even if she usually also didn't receive a call).

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
BTW, joint workout of Anna and Aliona:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn1tnonInK8

And I see I will miss Sasha joining them at such opportunities. The "3A" group, whatever you say about the abbreviation, about how people did not recognize them as individuals and about whatever, created very strong impression being together.

mdl

On the Ice
Is it just me who wouldn't have noticed Evgenia's "miming" at all if people wouldn't talk about it so much? :)

As for the Lz, yes, she never had the best lutz under the sun, but I think the troubles are exaggerated. Like Kaetlyn Osmond had very similar Lz troubles (I dare to say it was worse in average), though never was her Lz mentioned as often as Medvedeva's.

not only you :) I actually like it and in my opinion was greatly choreographed and integrated in her programs, strengthening their effect.

As for the flutz, it is not the only one in Ladies FS and as we can see, also not the only one not called, although the last for Zhenya is not valid anymore the last 2 seasons.

VenusHalley

Final Flight

As for the Lz, yes, she never had the best lutz under the sun, but I think the troubles are exaggerated. Like Kaetlyn Osmond had very similar Lz troubles (I dare to say it was worse in average), though never was her Lz mentioned as often as Medvedeva's (even if she usually also didn't receive a call).

I recently watched the restream of 2017 world championship... and I realized how crinqey that O face was and how much it actually distracted from the programs. LIke... her jump were great, she could skate, she had such beautiful dress... but then she opens mouth, wide eyed stare... and it seemed like I was watching some of these Disney figure skating movies where stunt double does the skated and non-so-talented but pretty girl does the acting and is told "really act it out!". Not to mention... skating to 9-11. She did the same O face in few of her programs and while it did not completely destroy the program, it took away from the whole feel.
I guess few years from now some Eteri girl will skate to corona outbreak, with inappropriate sound effects added.

starlight97

Final Flight
I recently watched the restream of 2017 world championship... and I realized how crinqey that O face was and how much it actually distracted from the programs. LIke... her jump were great, she could skate, she had such beautiful dress... but then she opens mouth, wide eyed stare... and it seemed like I was watching some of these Disney figure skating movies where stunt double does the skated and non-so-talented but pretty girl does the acting and is told "really act it out!". Not to mention... skating to 9-11. She did the same O face in few of her programs and while it did not completely destroy the program, it took away from the whole feel.
I guess few years from now some Eteri girl will skate to corona outbreak, with inappropriate sound effects added.

This description may sound harsh to some here I guess (considering there have just been 5 pages of discussion about name abbreviations). But it perfectly summarizes how I feel about Evgenia's past performances as well, especially the 9-11 one.
I don't know why she changed her style, maybe cause of being freed of Averbukh's choreography haha. But good for her. And tastes differ, some here just stated they liked the miming.

It's such a fine line to walk where people subjectively deem your interpretation well done, you'll lose either way. Either you have no facial expression to the music and get criticized for it, like Trusova, or you start miming and get criticized for it, like Medvedeva.
Not everyone can be Yuna Kim I guess

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
This description may sound harsh to some here I guess (considering there have just been 5 pages of discussion about name abbreviations). But it perfectly summarizes how I feel about Evgenia's past performances as well, especially the 9-11 one.
I don't know why she changed her style, maybe cause of being freed of Averbukh's choreography haha. But good for her. And tastes differ, some here just stated they liked the miming.

It's such a fine line to walk where people subjectively deem your interpretation well done, you'll lose either way. Either you have no facial expression to the music and get criticized for it, like Trusova, or you start miming and get criticized for it, like Medvedeva.
Not everyone can be Yuna Kim I guess

In that case "the culprit has returned to the crime scene" (czech proverb) :)

I rhink there are many points of view. What I remember about Yulia Lipnitskaia was that everybody loved her to pieces, predicting when she was a junior that she might end up winning two Olympics. Fans were heartbroken when she came uo one performance short at the 2014 Olympics, after winning the team medal.

As for Alina, as I recall the vote was about 50-50 between Alina-love and Evgenia-love. By the time of the Olympic competition Alina had the momentum and most people expected her to win, and maybe were somewhat surprised that it was so close. I do not remember that people were either excessively happy or excessively sad about the outcome. Pretty-face versus pretty-face -- a toss-up there.

As for the oldies but goodies, like Liza Tuktamysheva -- I don't know. I liked them then, I like them still.

Hard to say.

But people did talk about it, pro and con. It was her choreographic signature.

As for the Lz, yes, she never had the best lutz under the sun, but I think the troubles are exaggerated. Like Kaetlyn Osmond had very similar Lz troubles...

Kaetlyn Osmond got a bit of a pass from fans and maybe from judges, too, because her jumps were so grand and powerful. We weren't scrutinizing the edge so much.

macy

Record Breaker
i always wondered had Julia skated clean if she would have medaled or won. would she have done enough to surpass Yuna?

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
i always wondered had Julia skated clean if she would have medaled or won. would she have done enough to surpass Yuna?

Based on how Adelina was scored, if Yulia had skated 2 clean programs I honestly think she would've won.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I did, but I'm something of a fan of silent films so it didn't bother me.

I don't know, but maybe the worldwide reaction would have been less.... ummm, fraught?

Odd thing, before I became a fan in 2018, Yulia was one of the very few ladies' skaters I would have (vaguely) recognised, maybe purely from her Schindler but still (just for reference, the others would be Sonja Henie, Kristi Yamaguchi for some reason, and yes Yuna Kim. Oh and Tonya) And I think more people outside the FS bubble would recognise/remember her Schindler than anything either Evgenia or Alina has done.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Based on how Adelina was scored, if Yulia had skated 2 clean programs I honestly think she would've won.

It would be interesting to see what would happened if Adelina skated first and then Julia skated the way she did... would Adelina be still preemptively overscored, or would she get her usual score?

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
I did, but I'm something of a fan of silent films so it didn't bother me.

I don't know, but maybe the worldwide reaction would have been less.... ummm, fraught?

Odd thing, before I became a fan in 2018, Yulia was one of the very few ladies' skaters I would have (vaguely) recognised, maybe purely from her Schindler but still (just for reference, the others would be Sonja Henie, Kristi Yamaguchi for some reason, and yes Yuna Kim. Oh and Tonya) And I think more people outside the FS bubble would recognise/remember her Schindler than anything either Evgenia or Alina has done.

I also share this perspective. Before I became a true figure skating fan I could pretty much only recognize Yulia, Gracie, Ashley, Nathan, and Yuzuru. But then again, that was before Alina even debuted on the senior GP. But I think that some casual viewers know Evgenia and Alina. I remember the day after the ladies free skate in the 2018 Olympics, my friend mentioned that she watched it and I would have never expected her to watch it on her own. One reason that may make Evgenia and Alina not as recognizable to US casual viewers was the time difference. By the time they skated it was past midnight, during the week. Many casual fans wouldn’t stay up for that.

Amei

Record Breaker

I think the troubles were more highlighted by people because she won first with the lutz in every competition except 1 (where she placed second) for 2 seasons, Osmond while she did win some medals didn't accomplish what Medvedeva did.

Amei

Record Breaker
It shouldn't, since she's a member of the national team; Novogorsk official said they are expecting around 60 skaters to come there (after they all pass mandatory med screening and two covid tests); so most probably Sasha will start training with the rest in mid-June (and by that time the bureaucrats will push the papers, too) - that is, if she'll come at all, she might opt for training at the AoP instead.

The 25th is in 3 days (technically 2 in Russia) - why would she not start training till mid-June?